shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just watched 2 engaging documentaries.

Twinsters

First Comes Love

Both excellent. I preferred Twinsters of the 2 but recommend both. Hope you enjoy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1444949437|3938698 said:
canuk-gal|1444949272|3938697 said:
HI:

The Knick is starting season two this Friday. Weird yet entertaining show.

Rode my stationary bike to Narcos today. Good cycling show.

cheers--Sharon

Ooh thank you for The Knick reminder, Sharon. I didn't realize it was back!

Crazy new season, eh?? :bigsmile:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched "the one I love" and liked it.

Have been watching "the league" before bedtime and it's been cracking me up.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More good Netflix movies I recommend. I hope I am not repeating myself but if so it's OK. They deserve to be recommended twice in case it was missed the first time.

Philomena. Judi Dench is an absolute star. A heartbreaking movie but filled with humor. A search for truth. Really good.

Short Term 12. A passionate drama about a foster care center for at risk teens. So much better than my description.

Frances Ha. Fresh and hopeful about a young woman at the beginning of her adult life.

Force Majeure. About a family and what happens during a potential crisis. Very interesting look to make one question can you count on your loved ones like you think you can? It was strange but nonetheless enjoyable. Made for good conversation afterwards too.

A Simple Plan. A good thriller with Billy Bob Thornton.

Heavenly Creatures with Kate Winslet when she was young. I saw this one 2 decades ago and recommend it because it was haunting. I plan on watching it again soon as long as Netflix streaming still has it.

Desk Set with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. From the late 50's. Just watched it last night and oh love these 2 stars together. Cute movie. Not sophisticated like today's movies but enjoyable and fun. I had a hard time swallowing her relationship with her boyfriend colleague but I overlooked that and still enjoyed the movie.

Moonrise Kingdom. Set on an island off the coast of New England summer of 1965 (a very very good year and the summer I was born :bigsmile: )
and tells the tale of young and sweet (the boy and girl involved are 12 yo) love. Highly recommend.

Hoop Dreams. About achieving the impossible. Took 8 years to make. Absolutely inspiring. Poignant. Worth taking 3 hours to watch it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching Escape from a Nazi Death Camp.

Gut wrenching but excellent.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched the other woman with Natalie Portman. It was good!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the middle of a very good French film. "Blue is the Warmest Color." It is 3 hours long so had to stop in the middle last night but will continue tonight or tomorrow depending on timing. I have a 2 hour webinar this evening ugh but thinking of skipping that to finish the movie. Lol. So far a great relationship movie. Really enjoying it. I love French films. They know how to make movies.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished the movie last night and skipped the webinar. Lol I have my priorities. :cheeky:
Loved the movie. It takes a while to develop the relationship thoughtfully and realistically so that's why it is 3 hours long. But it is a beautiful story and I highly recommend it. My dh did not love it as much as I did but he did like it. He thought it was too long. I am interested if anyone does watch it to hear your thoughts. Happy Netflixing!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
missy said:
In the middle of a very good French film. "Blue is the Warmest Color." It is 3 hours long so had to stop in the middle last night but will continue tonight or tomorrow depending on timing. I have a 2 hour webinar this evening ugh but thinking of skipping that to finish the movie. Lol. So far a great relationship movie. Really enjoying it. I love French films. They know how to make movies.

missy|1447936239|3951669 said:
Finished the movie last night and skipped the webinar. Lol I have my priorities. :cheeky:
Loved the movie. It takes a while to develop the relationship thoughtfully and realistically so that's why it is 3 hours long. But it is a beautiful story and I highly recommend it. My dh did not love it as much as I did but he did like it. He thought it was too long. I am interested if anyone does watch it to hear your thoughts. Happy Netflixing!

This movie has been in my mental queue for a very long time. I read the graphic novel that the movie is based on. I'm interested in seeing how they adapted it to the screen.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1448240427|3952912 said:
missy said:

missy|1447936239|3951669 said:

This movie has been in my mental queue for a very long time. I read the graphic novel that the movie is based on. I'm interested in seeing how they adapted it to the screen.
\

Ooh thank you for recommending the book Black Prophet. I am going to check the book out now. Yes it was a beautiful story and I thought the movie was thoughtfully done. There were a few graphic scenes but it added to the storyline instead of taking away from it IMO. However some people might feel differently and some people are uncomfortable with that kind of graphicness (but in general the French are comfortable with it and it is a French film) but again I felt it added to the believability of their strong love and passion for each other. I don't want to give anything away for anyone who might watch it without having read the novel but it was so moving especially the end. My heart hurt.

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
I've been hooked on a Spanish series Velvet. I believe it's Spain's response to Mad Men based in the 50/60's. My favorite part is the fashion. It takes place in a Fashion house and the costume design is gorgeous. The story line is very typical boy and girl fall deeply in love, grow up and have a ton of obstacles to overcome. The acting is great and there are many cute substories. I definitely recommend it. It's on Netflix now but I don't know how much longer it will be.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh for you Trekkie fans! I'm not sure if it's on demand on Netflix, but I watched "the Captains" the other day, where William Shatner sits down with each actor and actress that has played a Star Trek ship captain! It was fascinating!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw a wonderful movie last night.

Buen Dia Ramon

Heartwarming.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am watching Beasts of No Nation - actually, decided to stop watching it like a minute ago, like halfway through. DH still watching.

It's a good movie but I feel miserable watching it. The violence, the sadness, I just can't take it.

Life's too short.

I'm getting old I think.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, a great list from you!

This series may have been mentioned, but I am totally hooked on NCIS. Love the humor and the relationships. The autopsy segments, not so much, but worth it for the rest.
Life is another all-time favorite series on Netflix.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We saw an excellent movie last night. I thought I had seen it before but I don't think I did.

The Conversation

Really good.

Jimmianne, I used to watch NCIS on tv and agree it is very enjoyable. Still have your rec of Life on my to watch list. Thank you!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1448455201|3953986 said:

Buen Dia Ramon

Heartwarming.

Thanks to you I'm watching this right now. I agree - excellent movie!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not quite sure if it's on Netflix, but most likely it is. We love Curb Your Enthusiasm. It is so funny. It's very dry. We watched so many episodes at a time that I was mixing my life up and blending it with the show. Somebody would say, for example, have you been to a Cantors lately. I would think to myself, yeah. We were just there and realize it was one of the episodes. Weirdest feeling ever.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone watch Daredevil and Jessica Jones?

Really good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1448808424|3955246 said:
missy|1448455201|3953986 said:

Buen Dia Ramon

Heartwarming.

Thanks to you I'm watching this right now. I agree - excellent movie!

Glad you are enjoying it Jimmianne!

Gem Queen said:
I'm not quite sure if it's on Netflix, but most likely it is. We love Curb Your Enthusiasm. It is so funny. It's very dry. We watched so many episodes at a time that I was mixing my life up and blending it with the show. Somebody would say, for example, have you been to a Cantors lately. I would think to myself, yeah. We were just there and realize it was one of the episodes. Weirdest feeling ever.

Gem Queen I just checked it out and it is not on Netflix streaming but is on Netflix DVD. Haha I love this show. My dh unfortunately hates it because he thinks Larry David is a whiny baby. But I think he is so funny. But then again I was a huge Seinfeld fan. I do admit sometimes Curb Your Enthusiasm can be annoying/frustrating but it does make me LOL.

Gypsy said:
Anyone watch Daredevil and Jessica Jones?

Really good.

Gypsy, thanks for the rec. Going to check it out.

We saw another good movie last night called The Best Offer with Geoffrey Rush and Donald Sutherland.
http://www.netflix.com/search/the%20best%20offer?jbv=70270871&jbp=0&jbr=0

It was very enjoyable and the ending surprised me and I usually don't get surprised by movie endings as I normally see them coming way before it happens. Not so with this one.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been playing Futurama episodes before falling asleep.

I'm watching Jem and the Holograms right now - truly, truly, truly outrageous! :lol:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started a thread about "Making a Murderer." It is very similar to the podcast "Serial." It is filmed in the same style as "The Jinx." It is filmed over ten years.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I really wish TBBT (The Big Bang Theory) was on Netflix or Amazon Fire. I love that show and have recently been recording all of the episodes on various channels, but I didn't start watching it from the beginning so I'm always confused as to what year each episode is from. It would be great to watch it starting from the beginning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1450832935|3965071 said:
I started a thread about "Making a Murderer." It is very similar to the podcast "Serial." It is filmed in the same style as "The Jinx." It is filmed over ten years.

Thanks for the rec Tacori. Is it aggravating to watch?

I have a few more recommendations.

Loved Phoenix and enjoyed What Maisie Knew and now we are watching Like Son Like Father. Excellent movie.

Not sure I recommended this movie yet but if I didn't I highly recommend it.
Two Days One Night.

Happy Netflixing!
1899429ix0yflafza.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Tacori, my dh and I are very much enjoying your recommendation. We almost watched the whole series last night but it got to be so late that I couldn't stay awake so will finish it tonight. Really well done.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mind of a chef - Anthony Bourdain and David Chang. The first few episodes we got through were about ramen, my...obsession...! Thank God we made it to Mitsuwa on Christmas day so that I could inhale a medium sized miso ramen bowl from Santouka! Yay!

We just finished watching Upside Down with Jim sturgess and Kirsten Dunst. It hit all the right notes for me... Part love story, part sci-fi-ish.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Great British Baking Show. It's delightful!

I'm watching the first season. Anyone else?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1451448618|3968275 said:

I didn't know this was on Netflix! I actually watched it on PBS LOL. I really liked it. It's different than most food competitions which I liked. One thing I found weird was how long they would focus on the judges chewing. Like, abnormally long with the camera focused on them chewing. But other than that, I liked it.

I had no idea there was more than one season either!

Recent watches:
Jessica Jones - SO GOOD. She's bad ass. And Krysten Ritter is just really amazing. Mike Colter and David Tennant are fabulous too.
Master of None - was highly rec'd, but found kind of boring. I found it heartwarming that he used his actual parents as actors (as his parents), but they were awful... Like, episode ruining awful.
Garfunkle and Oates - super funny. Crude, but hilarious.

Next on my list is making a murderer and narcos.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1451448618|3968275 said:

Of course! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watched this fashion doc on Iris Apfel. Amazing. Full of wisdom and wonderful quotes. This was made a few years ago, but she is 94 now and still going strong. Apologies if this has already been posted, but I'm not going back through all these pages to check and anyway, it's worth mentioning again! :wavey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo8jwJ_2l0c

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results