shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey Chicago people, when's that snow storm supposed to hit?

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm on my way to Chicago for a 10am meeting tomorrow morning. I'm out on the 230 flight back to ATL. I've heard rumors of a snow storm, but haven't seen a local forecast (and weather.com is just not fulfilling my inquiring mind). When is this sucker supposed to hit? And while I'm at it, where should I eat dinner tonight? I'm staying around Huron and Michigan downtown.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Re: Hey Chicago people, when's that snow storm supposed to h

Should be right around 12 noon. I would suggest you either cancel your meeting or plan on hunkering down in Chicago for a couple of days.

April20

Ideal_Rock

Well dang it. Huh. I like Chicago. If I get stuck, I get stuck. I'm supposed to go to Memphis on Wednesday. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I missed it.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

hey, you'll be right by me!

if the trains are still running, it shouldn't be hard to get out to the airports, and i've found chicago airports to be snowstorm miracle worker. good luck. if you end up getting stuck, come back for restaurant suggestions :bigsmile:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

The snow is supposed to start tonight --> 2-4 inches. But the BIG one is supposed to start tomorrow and go into Wednesday. I know that United and Frontier airlines are offering vouchers to change your flight for free if you want it. I'm not sure you'll make it to Memphis on Wednesday :nono:

April20

Ideal_Rock

Ah, I don't really wanna go to Memphis. I need to though. I have to go to Raleigh on Thursday and I actually want to go to that job site.

Hopefully they will still be moving them out tomorrow afternoon. I keep hearing conflicting reports as to when this storm is supposed to hit. If my flight gets cancelled, I have enough status to get out on what is leaving Ohare. And if I can't get out, at least there's a Hilton property on site.

I don't much care for the food at Ohare though.

April20

Ideal_Rock

suchende|1296500616|2838342 said:

if the trains are still running, it shouldn't be hard to get out to the airports, and i've found chicago airports to be snowstorm miracle worker. good luck. if you end up getting stuck, come back for restaurant suggestions :bigsmile:

I'm meeting a co-worker for dinner tonight. Where should we go? I do not want to go back to the freaking Grand Luxe again. If it was up to him, that's where we'd go. That place is a Cheesecake Factory badly disguised as something else. I've been to Shanghai Garden in the bottom of the Omni (I think it's the Omni?). That was decent. I'm not hugely picky, I just don't want a chain.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock

April20|1296503794|2838387 said:

I'm meeting a co-worker for dinner tonight. Where should we go? I do not want to go back to the freaking Grand Luxe again. If it was up to him, that's where we'd go. That place is a Cheesecake Factory badly disguised as something else. I've been to Shanghai Garden in the bottom of the Omni (I think it's the Omni?). That was decent. I'm not hugely picky, I just don't want a chain.

You could try the Purple Pig. http://www.thepurplepigchicago.com/

I haven't gone yet but have been meaning to try it. I've heard great things!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

April20|1296503794|2838387 said:

What are you looking for generally?

My two favorite places in Streeterville are Niu (332 East Illinois) and India House (59 West Grand), but those are both Asian-y obvs. There's all-you-can-eat-meat at Texas de Brazil (51 E Ohio) it's pricy but delish and I love the acrobat in the wine cellar. If you want something more "pub" there's D4 (345 E. Ohio) that's open late and has a very cozy vibe with fireplaces, which is charming when it's snowy.

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock

Another vote for Purple Pig- it's one of my favorites! If, however, you're a vegetarian or a little bit squeamish, this probably isn't the place for you. They tend to focus on the more mysterious cuts of meat- i.e., tails, tongues, and ears- which taste SO much better than they sound.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

When I travel in the U.S., I look for the local restaurant "Originals" group to find locally-owned, usually smaller, restaurants. http://www.chicagooriginals.com/whyeat.php

A true original, if you like burgers, steaks, etc., is Blackie's. http://www.blackieschicago.com/ I :love: Blackie's.

You may be spending some time in Chicago, if the forecast is correct. I just hope you can spend it at your hotel rather than at O'Hare.

April20

Ideal_Rock

Okay, so I eat meat and love it, but not heaping gobs of it. I'm kinda scared of mystery parts, but the name The Purple Pig intrigues me. I'll see if I can get him to go. And put it on his pcard. :devil:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Purple Pig is right on Michigan Ave, so, location-wise it won't be too much of a stretch for your companion.

If you want to see a little more of the city that's not N. Michigan Ave, you can try heading west a little bit. Check out River North or River West for somewhere that's easy to get to and from via cab. Some places that come to mind:

Osteria Via Stato: Italian restaurant, apps/sides are served family style, main course is ordered. Nice for a winter meal
Japonais: Japanese fusion. I personally have other preferences, but it's a good one for out of towners.
MK: pricey, but tasty in River North. Upscale Contemporary American cuisine
La Madia: "fancy" white linen pizza place. Nice vibe, but not big budget. The pizzas are tasty too.
KInzie Chop house: By the Merchandise Mart, steak house with great steaks but not blow up budget like Morton's or Gibsons.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

Oh! But if you're going out to the west loop you have to get Greek food of course! My favorite is Santorini (138 S Halsted)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

Bunny007|1296507011|2838451 said:
Another vote for Purple Pig- it's one of my favorites! If, however, you're a vegetarian or a little bit squeamish, this probably isn't the place for you. They tend to focus on the more mysterious cuts of meat- i.e., tails, tongues, and ears- which taste SO much better than they sound.
Oh, I went there last week for the first time! And I didn't actually eat tons and tons of meat...the cauliflower and apple salad, butternut squash, three cheeses (truffle tremor, blu di buffala, and the pecorino noce), then bone marrow and milk-braised pork shoulder. AMAZING! Plus the out-of-this-world nutella panino for dessert. And a half bottle of wine. And a totally reasonable bill!

They don't take reservations and it can be a wait, but if you're near there and everything is shut down...definitely worth a call!

If you like sushi, I'm a big fan of Kamehachi and there is one in Streeterville.

April20

Ideal_Rock

My co-worker just flaked out on me, so I'm on my own. I'm probably going to stick to walking distance from the hotel. I'm just too tired and cranky to cab it out somewhere and then back.

The good news is the news just said this storm isn't really supposed to hit until about 5 or so and I fly out at 230. That is if Delta doesn't go ahead and cancel the flight for fun like they're prone to do.

portia

Brilliant_Rock

I haven't tried the Purple Pig, but have heard great reviews. Banderas is good... across from Nordstrom on Michigan Ave.

The latest I heard is that we're getting a couple of inches tonight and then Tues. evening the heavy snow/blizzard conditions will start. I hope you can get out before it hits!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

I love that the Chicagoans were only too happy to turn a thread about weather into a thread about food. Don't be too cranky, April. It's a beautiful night!

April20

Ideal_Rock

I decided to save The Purple Pig for when I have someone to go with. I hate eating in nice restaurants alone. I just grabbed whatever last night.

And I think I just got out of Chicago on what is probably one of the last flights. It was really starting to kick up when we took off. But I'm out!! The flight is a little choppy, but that's better than being on the ground stuck.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

Hoo boy. Yeah, it's here now. Looks like it's trying to snow our windows shut. On the 28th floor.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

We live right near the lake and I'm scared about the floods they're predicting!

My school closed early today and tomorrow is a snow day. We don't make up snow days, so I'm bummed. I hate losing instructional time. :(( BUT, I don't want to be driving in a blizzard tomorrow, either.

portia

Brilliant_Rock

Glad you got out, April!

It's really coming down now and the worst is yet to come. I'm downtown and just went out to CVS before everything closes. The streets are getting bad, everyone is trying to leave the city at once and people have lost their minds are are driving terribly. It's crazy!! Glad I didn't go into work today and definitely not going tomorrow. Stay safe everyone!

TubTub

Rough_Rock

Be Safe Everyone:)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Am safely ensconced in my home now, but that five block walk home was quite an adventure, especially the two walks on the bridges over the river! Snow and wind straight in my face the whole time. Right when I got here I swept off the front steps (with a swifter, sans the felt cover thingy... guess the exHH got the damn BROOM in the divorce, ha ha!), and now you can't even tell I did it becuase they are totally covered again.

I was (am!) hoping the hype was a bit overblow and this will all be less severe than they are predicting, but I do have to confess I have fully charged my hpone and ipad, a flashlight in my pocket, matches over by the fireplace, and the cork out of the wine... all for emergency purposes of course! :tongue:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deej, how are the winds by you? They are just crazy out here.

portia

Brilliant_Rock

Dee*Jay|1296601367|2839854 said:
Am safely ensconced in my home now, but that five block walk home was quite an adventure, especially the two walks on the bridges over the river! Snow and wind straight in my face the whole time. Right when I got here I swept off the front steps (with a swifter, sans the felt cover thingy... guess the exHH got the damn BROOM in the divorce, ha ha!), and now you can't even tell I did it becuase they are totally covered again.

I was (am!) hoping the hype was a bit overblow and this will all be less severe than they are predicting, but I do have to confess I have fully charged my hpone and ipad, a flashlight in my pocket, matches over by the fireplace, and the cork out of the wine... all for emergency purposes of course! :tongue:

LOL DeeJay! I'm with you on that! Just poured my first glass and now going to kick back and watch the snow blow sideways down the river. I didn't believe all the hoopla at first either since I know the media likes to hype up the weather stories (you know... the 12" snow reports always seem to turn into 1-2"), but I think I believe them now. :o

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Catmom, the winds here don't seem too bad, but I am pretty sheltered, being in an interior row of townhomes.

Portia, I might be a little ahead of you on the wine... :cheeky:

Seriously though, I just opened the balcony door and we've got some snow, but it's not exactly Demon Dog high like I expected it to be at this point.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Good luck, all you stormy folks. Wine is the best way to enjoy storms. Stay in & bundle up!

--- Laurie

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Autumnovember|1296608121|2840039 said:
Hot chocolate!

With Baileys... ! :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results