shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with wedding bands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EHJFan

Rough_Rock
I have 2 wedding bands with 5 diamonds in each. TW 4.5. The problem is a jeweler has told me that the channels in the bands are too small for the diamonds. The diamonds are loose and 2 of the stones are overlapping. He recommended remounting in something else to hold the stones individually, however, he says getting the diamonds out of the bands is a huge problem. They could chip or splinter. Does it hurt diamonds to touch each other or even overlap? He showed me under the scope so I know he is telling me the truth! I am not wearing the rings right now because he also said if I hit them on anything just right I could cause damage to the diamonds. Experts please help. I am taking the rings back to the original jeweler who did them for me but I would like to be fair and knowledgeable about this before I go. The stones were mounted 3 years ago and I have always gone back to the original jeweler for cleaning, prong check, etc. They have never said a word about this. What do I do?

EHJFan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have been wearing the bands for 3 years, but I didn't know that one of the diamonds is chipped or that the others are loose and 2 are overlapping. In the jewelers' opinion, this probably happened when they put the diamonds in the channel. He thinks that they should never have been put in them to begin with. You cannot tell with the naked eye that 2 of the diamonds are overlapping or that the others are touching. I had never looked at the rings under a scope until recently. As for the height of the channels, you can see the stones move when touched with a small screwdriver, so I guess they are not touching the top of the channels. I am just concerned that my diamonds are being damaged, have been damaged over the past 3 years and I never had a clue this was going on. They were my grandmothers and it took me ten years to get them out of the safe deposit box and have them remounted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results