shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with giving notice

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
So, I''ve decided to move back home next month and help my parents run their business. I need help with giving notice to my boss though. The issue is I''m based out in the West Coast while my boss is located out on the East Coast.

What is the appropriate and professional way to give notice? Do I call her? Do I send an email? She''s very busy and always scheduled into meetings so if I should give notice over the phone, do I send her an Outlook appointment (how we schedule/invite ppl to meetings in our company) with what subject line or should I just call her and spring it on her? I''ve never worked in a different location than my direct higher-up, so I''m totally at a loss.

Thanks!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In person.

If you can''t do that - then can you do a teleconference (or computer conference with camera''s). Set it up in advance and dress well.

Next, by telephone. Be sure that you dress up for the phone call - and also put a mirror by the phone (and smile while you are calling and talking - watch yourself in the mirror).

It is vital that you have a one on one conversation to keep it professional.

Also, be sure to thank them for the opportunity, etc.

You wish to leave on good terms - or at worst neutral terms. Your future may depend on it - as acting professional will generate future referrals and other leads.

I wish you the best with this.

Perry

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I would send a letter of resignation. I dont know if email is the way to do it though. Do you have packets that go between the east coast and west coast location that you can put it in? That way when she is going through it all she will see it. I dont think calling is a good idea and I dont think email is appropriate either. Send the letter of resignation and if/when she wants to discuss it with you she will make time to either give you a call or shoot you an email. That way you are ending your employment professionally and she can follow up in a more casual manner.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Draft a letter of resignation (not email but can be attached to email if that is way correspondence is commonly done in your company) but call her or *meet* with before you send it to let her know it is coming.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm weird situation. I would call her and tell her on the phone and then send a letter of resignation by snail mail if an emailed letter won''t suffice.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I agree with RaiKai. An unusual situation but this seems the best and most professional solution :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto. Call followed by a letter.

Does she have an admin assistant who can let you know when she''d be available to accept a call? Or, since her schedule is so full, would she return your call if you e-mail her with a request that she call you? if not, then scheduling time on her calendar might be the best option. Just identify it as status meeting or personnel issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results