carat
color
clarity

Help with Dye for Gray Hair

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there,

I dye my hair at home, from a light brown to dark blonde. I've always liked the result at home better than what I get at the hairdresser's (and I've tried many hairdressers, never happy with it and it costs a bomb). Home hair dyes are so good these days especially if you're staying within a few shades of your natural color, like me.

Anyway, I was aware that I had a few grays. No problem....the dye will take care of it.

Except. I was recently under bright lights in the Macy's changing rooms, and I saw a slew of gray hairs, but I only colored my hair about three weeks ago, definitely not enough time for much root re-growth, so way before I'd usually re-color, and yet the dye had obviousy worn off the grays.

And this isn't the first time I've noticed the silvery strands showing through approx three weeks after dying.

I don't feel good about this - I don't mind having gray hairs, but I do mind being unable to adequately cover them when I want to. After all, I'm only going to get more gray. (All power to those who proudly let their gray show, but personally it's not for me - I've always loved dark blonde hair.)

I used L'Oreal Preference.

My question is, can anyone recommend a hair dye that actually covers the gray for more than three weeks? It seems really crappy for the dye to wear off so quickly.

Thanks.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My mother has the same problem. I dye her hair at home. We go to the local beauty supply store and buy a dye called AGEbeautiful. It covers really well. Now that you remind me, we might need to do her roots this weekend. ;-)

EDIT: Here is their comparison chart where you can find what dye matches up best with the dye you currently use.
http://www.agebeautiful.com/comparison-chart

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also used to use L'Oreal Preference, but as more gray/silver came in, and I found L'Oreal didn't do the job anymore, I switched to Revlon ColorSilk, which I've found really does have 100% Gray Coverage (just like the ColorSilk box front says, down in the bottom left corner).

I also chose ColorSilk because my DH (ha!) had been using Revlon Colorsilk and had great results - and *he* had chosen ColorSilk due to its (cheaper than L'Oreal) price and lauded gray coverage. Target and CVS (and I'm sure other drugstores) often have 2-for-$5 or 2-for-$6 sales and we stock up then.

Revlon ColorSilk has another line called Revlon Luxurious ColorSilk Buttercream - it works just as well as the regular ColorSilk, but it is a thicker product so I have to be careful to make sure I'm actually squeezing out enough/not too much... but I do like the ButterCream conditioner perhaps slightly better than the regular ColorSilk conditioner packet.

Both leave my hair in great condition, and seem to last a good 6 weeks for me. I definitely recommend checking out the ColorSilk line - they have a nice color selection I think so hopefully there's a few shades that appeal to you.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow, thank you both so much for the helpful replies! I will definitely try both of these.

You've no idea how much I appreciate it xxxx

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jambalaya!

Don't look in Macy's changing room mirrors, no good ever comes from that!!!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1422133997|3821517 said:
Hi Jambalaya!

Don't look in Macy's changing room mirrors, no good ever comes from that!!!!

Hi Azstonie! :wavey:

Hahahahaa, you're so right! I saw more wrinkles and gray hair under those lights than I ever see at home. I didn't dare check out the cellulite - I was feeling bad enough already!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results