shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP US MOVE PLZZZZZZ

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey PSers,

This winter has BROKEN US. We have to get out of the Northeast - if not now, in the next few years > retirement. I have a vague rambling list of things we're looking for in our next locale and hoping something might spring to mind for some of y'all.

1) Plentiful Tech jobs (DH works at home and likes his current job but it's always prudent to live in an area w/other options if need be.)
2) Temperate climate - so we can be outside more of the year, NOT shovel snow or slip on ice, or sweat balls off in FL or TX.
3) Moderate cost of living. (We like NOVA & have family there but it's sooooo expensive)
4) Walkable city center or downtown area

Other "ideal world" scenarios:
Artsy, Liberal, Near top notch medical centers & a major airport for international travel.

I should mention that we're partial to the east coast because most of my family/extended family is in Virginia.

SO FAR I've come up with: Carrboro, NC. Is it "the one"???????? Other hot tips or fave spots you think might fit the bill??????

Thanks in advance for any advice. (And leftover, non-essential PS dust for LESS SNOW.)

:appl:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read down your list and kept thinking Seattle-area -- specifically Issaquah Highlands area --- right up until your need for the east coast. So if you ever decide to give the west coast a try, there are lots of great area around here that you just might love! The Issaquah Highlands is a new-ish development that is still expanding and becoming a pretty neat area right near lots of tech jobs (Microsoft to name just one) and a new (amazing!) hospital/health-center just opened next to the main Highlands center.

We had snow for pretty much the first time in three (four?) years today. Got three inches over night and all gone by mid-morning. No shoveling. (okay... actually the neighbor kids were so excited they begged me to let them shovel our driveway rather than just let it melt :lol: )

Can't help with the east coast!

Maybe some long weekend vacations to get out until you're able to move?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
NORTHERN VIRGINIA.

Huh.. wait. Maybe that's what NOVA means?

If so.... ROFLMAO at the high cost of living thing. Depends on your perspective! Compared to NorCal it's heaven out there. I'm wanting to move there so badly because "it's so affordable out there!"

Then again I live in cost of living hell. But there are jobs out here. So you take your blessings where you can.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry you want to leave ..can I buy your home? :) :) I don't mind snow as I was born in Michigan and grew up in NJ. I am dying to leave Los Angeles and move back to the North East! I honestly feel that Los Angeles is def not a good place to raise a family. There is no specific downtown or city center, or neighborhood vibe. You have to plan your life around how long you will be stuck driving in traffic because there isn't really a mass transit system. Gas prices are the highest in the country here! And I really hate having to pay for mall parking! But the the biggest reason I want to leave is because I can't find an affordable home in a good school district with my 750 K budget. Here it buys a 1500 sq ft one story home. 3 small cramped bedrooms with 1 tiny bath and practically no back yard. Our agent took us to a home this weekend with an "Eco friendly washer and dryer".. otherwise known as having your washer and dryer in the back yard!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, what about North Carolina? The weather there tends to be fairly moderate and there is an area called "tech triangle" that could be a good job spot for hubby. Bill and I actually considered moving there several years ago because he is also in tech (telecom to be specific) and there are a ton of financial firms there too so that would have worked out well for me. Just an idea!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No helpful suggestions Deco but I am bookmarking this thread because these are the very thoughts I am having this crazy winter (and driving my dh batty as a result haha).

As I get older I cannot tolerate the cold and snow and ice as well and if cost was not a factor I can think of a few places I would love to move to. Certain parts of Hawaii (cool and dry side) and certain areas of California (but the drought among other factors makes it prohibitively expensive). Unfortunately cost is a big factor so those places are out and our family is on the east coast as well and we don't want to just up and leave them here as they are getting older and will not move under any circumstances.

Looking forward to what is suggested.

And sending ***dust*** for calmer weather ahead for all!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Deco, how do you feel about Richmond? I feel like it has a lot of perks (AFFORDABLE! walkable downtown, milder winters, close to your family, only a couple of hours to fun destinations like the Outer Banks, good employment options) and has a cozier feeling than NOVA. Granted, I've only been to Richmond a couple of times (lived in DC for several years before moving to Boston), but as a fellow dweller of the Northeast and really just sick of the cost of living here, I've been really eyeing Richmond.

Lots of luck to you!

ETA: I also like that Richmond isn't so far south that I would be dying in the summer. As tired as I get of winter by Feb/Mar, I really can't do hot summers. Sounds like you might be in a similar boat.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I really have no idea as to the availability of tech jobs but, Charleston, SC is absolutely beautiful. I visited in December and it was a bit chilly (I was doing a sailboat regatta) but it wasn't horrible like the East Coast has been this winter. It has a really nice downtown area but overall, kind of a small town feel.

I moved back to the DC area after living in SoCal for 14 years. Check out San Clemente, CA. The weather could not be better! I had a 2 bedroom apartment three blocks from the beach - rent was $1,000 p/m. Buying is more expensive, however.

Good Luck!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Maybe Raleigh or Charlotte?

Or Atlanta ! But I'm partial to Atlanta. Not sure on tech jobs but the cost of living is great!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1392012581|3611798 said:
Hey PSers,

This winter has BROKEN US. We have to get out of the Northeast - if not now, in the next few years > retirement. I have a vague rambling list of things we're looking for in our next locale and hoping something might spring to mind for some of y'all.

1) Plentiful Tech jobs (DH works at home and likes his current job but it's always prudent to live in an area w/other options if need be.)
2) Temperate climate - so we can be outside more of the year, NOT shovel snow or slip on ice, or sweat balls off in FL or TX.
3) Moderate cost of living. (We like NOVA & have family there but it's sooooo expensive)
4) Walkable city center or downtown area

Other "ideal world" scenarios:
Artsy, Liberal, Near top notch medical centers & a major airport for international travel.

I should mention that we're partial to the east coast because most of my family/extended family is in Virginia.

SO FAR I've come up with: Carrboro, NC. Is it "the one"???????? Other hot tips or fave spots you think might fit the bill??????

Thanks in advance for any advice. (And leftover, non-essential PS dust for LESS SNOW.)

:appl:

Do you mean Cary, NC? Carrboro is a smaller town right next to Chapel Hill. It is basically just residential. Durham and Cary are closer to the research triangle park. I live in the triangle and of course am partial to it, but geesh there are so many people moving here the traffic is getting worse, and price of housing is going up (but I'm sure it is less expensive than New England). I really wish I could have convinced my Mom to move down 10 years ago, she could have found some real bargains in housing. Instead she is dealing with the weather in the midwest and is also so over it.

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
As NewEnglandLady mentioned, what about Richmond?

We just picked up and moved to Richmond area this past summer. My husband and I are both from the Boston Area. We moved to Chicago for a few years for my job. He got a great job working at home as a programmer for medical software based out of MA. That allowed us to move around a bit until we found our perfect spot. Chicago was too cold. Tried DC- too city for husband. Tried outside Baltimore. He liked the waterfront property better but still not enough room for his fruit trees and projects. So we started looking at houses anywhere, but had to be:
-East Coast,
-near "stuff"(shopping/restaurants etc within 30 mins or less),
- warmer,
-able to get 3 + bedroom house on 2-5 acres where we could have a mini farm for under $310K
-and have reliable internet connection (not satellite).

We ruled out New England. Even with family up there, we couldn't afford what we wanted near a city with "stuff".
He said no to NYC, NJ. PA - didn't do anything for us. We did a real search into Eastern Shore MD and DE. But there was not enough stuff over there. 45 mins to the only Panera was not an option for me! And internet was spotty at best. Some people still use AOL over there!

That is when we started looking at Virginia Beach, Newport News, Norfolk area. But that area is not very "walkable". We liked it but the market was moving too fast for us to travel down on the weekends from MD.

We then found a great looking horse farm house in Mechanicsville, VA- just 30min outside Richmond. But it didn't have cable internet that he needs to work.

We looked a little bit more based on Comcast and Verizon access. We found the perfect 4.5 acre, 2 master bedroom and 3 other bedrooms and huge office, 3 stalls, pasture and huge garage house in a nice little agricultural zoned neighborhood just south east of the city. We have paved driveway,trash/recycling pickup a cul-da-sac neighborhood but enough space that we can have our animals and the boy can be doing midnight wood work in the garage and not bother the neighbors. It is the perfect mix of rural and city life we were looking for. We are about 45 mins away from the real fancy part of Short Pump with everything under the sun, but under 20-30 mins to all other areas of the Richmond area. And we have a new shopping area that is 10 mins away with a Panera, Target, 2 grocery stores etc. We can zip right in to the real down town. And there are big hospitals like VCU etc in the area. UNOS is a big tech employment place as well. My husband's company is always looking for other remote programmers if yours is in the human health field.

Sounds like you are more of in the City person. I have done a few things in Church Hill and love the look of it. Reminds me of the sweet neighborhoods of DC just on hilly area. Carytown area is super cute. Reminds me of Chicago. Lots of eating ares on the sidewalks, lots of funky shops and restaurants.

We briefly looked into the Triangle but nothing really fit. Same for Savannah and Charleston. Savannah might be a good one for walking city.

Hopefully something in that long winded explanation will help narrow down your perfect spot. I know I am always interested why people move or live where they do. And a lot of people ask us how we picked Richmond.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ever think about moving overseas for a year or two? If your husband can work remotely, why not?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1392045010|3611877 said:
Deco, what about North Carolina? The weather there tends to be fairly moderate and there is an area called "tech triangle" that could be a good job spot for hubby. Bill and I actually considered moving there several years ago because he is also in tech (telecom to be specific) and there are a ton of financial firms there too so that would have worked out well for me. Just an idea!

I was going to suggest NC, too.

The Durham area is part of the triangle region, and it's worth looking into. As Dee*Jay said, it's known for its tech. positions.

We lived in Charlotte for a year from '09-'10, and we loved it. It's Charlotte's not in the triangle region (it's maybe 2 hours south), but my husband got an IT position there, and he liked it a lot. There's a really cool area of Charlotte close to downtown (they call it uptown), called Dilworth. It's near the older sections of Charlotte, and there's lots of great restaurants. We lived in a planned community in a different area of the city, and we loved that, too.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco have you ever checked out city-data?

You can type in a city or area, and then browse questions, or ask your own about a particular area. Almost too much information but at least you can glean patterns.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just going to say I'm with you!
This winter has me thinking getaways and vacation property are not enough!
This is our third winter back from a couple years abroad, and while the cost of living is better here, or anywhere in the US, I crave a more moderate climate! My spouse is talking to recruiters. I wish he could work from anywhere!
Good luck with your search!

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
I have lived in Richmond for 5 years, Charleston for 4 years, and Charlotte for 4 years. All have their funky artsy areas, all have walkable downtown areas, all have great medical centers.

The triangle area of NC is a bit different.

Only Charlotte has a good airport. Hands down.

Richmond and Charleston can feel very southern.

I have enjoyed living in each, but for different reasons.
Charlotte probably has the most options for what you want in terms of jobs.
Richmond will be the least expensive.
Charleston is very expensive. But has the beach!

I live in Charleston now, and moved back here from Charlotte. I had lived in Charleston previously and then moved to Charlotte. I found Charlotte easy to live in, but boring. Most people LOVE Charlotte. I would never move back to Richmond, but loved living there at that time in my life.

It still will snow in Richmond and Charlotte.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are in tech as well, and our current location has an ever shrinking industry. We want to eventually relocate due to the high cost of living where we are.

Our warmer candidate cities include Houston, TX
Georgia - Hotlanta or Alpharetta
Research Triangle, NC
Seattle, WA

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1392014991|3611812 said:
I read down your list and kept thinking Seattle-area -- specifically Issaquah Highlands area --- right up until your need for the east coast. So if you ever decide to give the west coast a try, there are lots of great area around here that you just might love! The Issaquah Highlands is a new-ish development that is still expanding and becoming a pretty neat area right near lots of tech jobs (Microsoft to name just one) and a new (amazing!) hospital/health-center just opened next to the main Highlands center.

We had snow for pretty much the first time in three (four?) years today. Got three inches over night and all gone by mid-morning. No shoveling. (okay... actually the neighbor kids were so excited they begged me to let them shovel our driveway rather than just let it melt :lol: )

Can't help with the east coast!

Maybe some long weekend vacations to get out until you're able to move?

Same thing - I was going to heavily suggest the Pac NW as well! No state income tax in WA... moderate winters...very liberal...tech-centric.

When I moved to Washington my mom (in Florida) was devastated. I explained to her that I used to be a 10 hour drive from her (I lived in Miami, she lived in the panhandle) but would now be a 6 hour flight away!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1392014991|3611812 said:
I read down your list and kept thinking Seattle-area -- specifically Issaquah Highlands area --- right up until your need for the east coast. Maybe some long weekend vacations to get out until you're able to move?
Thanks TooPatient! We'd briefly discussed West Coast ideas & Seattle, Portland and Bay Area made the short list. I think we're going to exhaust Eastern options *first* for family reasons primarily. Not that it doesn't sound tempting!!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Richmond is a good idea, or western VA, like around Charlottesville. Schools are good; there's plenty going on if you like university cities. Albemarle county housing is expensive, but not as bad as northern VA, and the other counties around there are very affordable. I've been looking at both those areas when DH & I move in a year or so.

Charlotte is BORING, have to agree on that. The Triangle area would be better, I think, for your husband's work. Consumer Reports recently rated hospitals around the country & not one in the entire Charlotte area rated better than "meh." Makes me doubtful about living there.

I thought of Charleston too -- it's just a wonderful place, but talk about sweating buckets! We visited in April & nearly died of heatstroke walking around the city.

From what I've read, Pittsburgh has become quite a lively city, lively and lovely, though I haven't been there in many many moons. Might be worth looking it up to see what's going on.

--- Laurie

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1392079452|3612324 said:
From what I've read, Pittsburgh has become quite a lively city, lively and lovely, though I haven't been there in many many moons. Might be worth looking it up to see what's going on.

I grew up in a suburb of Pittsburgh and while it is *better* than it was before, it's still not (IMHO) *good.* I can't really think of where you would want to live downtown that would still be close enough to walk to city center. The real estate is RIDICULOUSLY cheap though. My grandmother passed away last month and we're trying to figure out what to do with her house. I had a conversation with a realtor last week and came to the conclusion that her house (while not exactly the Wrigley mansion, but it is on an acre lot in a tony little neighborhood) is worth less than the two parking spots I bought with my new condo. So if you want *cheap,* Pittsburgh might be the answer. But if you want to actually Leave The House and go *somewhere* (and who knows exactly *where* that might be... ) Pittsburgh may not be the answer...

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1392083848|3612406 said:

I grew up in a suburb of Pittsburgh and while it is *better* than it was before, it's still not (IMHO) *good.* I can't really think of where you would want to live downtown that would still be close enough to walk to city center. The real estate is RIDICULOUSLY cheap though. My grandmother passed away last month and we're trying to figure out what to do with her house. I had a conversation with a realtor last week and came to the conclusion that her house (while not exactly the Wrigley mansion, but it is on an acre lot in a tony little neighborhood) is worth less than the two parking spots I bought with my new condo. So if you want *cheap,* Pittsburgh might be the answer. But if you want to actually Leave The House and go *somewhere* (and who knows exactly *where* that might be... ) Pittsburgh may not be the answer...

And as someone that lived about 40 minutes away from Pittsburgh for ten years, I would NOT say that it has a temperate climate!!!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1392016481|3611816 said:
NORTHERN VIRGINIA. Huh.. wait. Maybe that's what NOVA means? If so.... ROFLMAO at the high cost of living thing. Depends on your perspective! Compared to NorCal it's heaven out there. I'm wanting to move there so badly because "it's so affordable out there!" Then again I live in cost of living hell. But there are jobs out here. So you take your blessings where you can.
Hey Gypsy! Good to hear from you. Hope y'all are doing well out West! YEAH - NOVA is Northern Virginia. And I know, I know ... it's not NYC/SF cost of living ... but the areas I like have gone UP UP UP in the last 10 yrs so it just doesn't give us as much as we'd want for our money I guess. And the traffic is insane. Re: jobs .... i hear ya. Probably going to have to mid-life transition w/the move so feeling very unsettled about that part. :errrr:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hospatogi|1392023855|3611827 said:
I'm sorry you want to leave ..can I buy your home? :) :) I don't mind snow as I was born in Michigan and grew up in NJ. I am dying to leave Los Angeles and move back to the North East! I honestly feel that Los Angeles is def not a good place to raise a family. There is no specific downtown or city center, or neighborhood vibe. You have to plan your life around how long you will be stuck driving in traffic because there isn't really a mass transit system. Gas prices are the highest in the country here! And I really hate having to pay for mall parking! But the the biggest reason I want to leave is because I can't find an affordable home in a good school district with my 750 K budget. Here it buys a 1500 sq ft one story home. 3 small cramped bedrooms with 1 tiny bath and practically no back yard. Our agent took us to a home this weekend with an "Eco friendly washer and dryer".. otherwise known as having your washer and dryer in the back yard!!
Buy our house ... PLZ!!!!! For your budget you could buy our current house 3 times over! (But it, too, would be 1600 sq cramped feet LOL).
Thanks for weighing in!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1392083993|3612408 said:
Dee*Jay|1392083848|3612406 said:

And as someone that lived about 40 minutes away from Pittsburgh for ten years, I would NOT say that it has a temperate climate!!!!!
I was just coming back to this thread to say the same thing -- the weather in The "Burg is pretty grim. Temperature aside, I had a job interview there in the spring of 2012 and the guy I was interviewing with told me that Pittsburgh gets fewer days of sunshine a year than Seattle.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1392045010|3611877 said:
Hey Dee*Jay! YES! That's our #1 draft choice right now. Carrboro, NC is right next to Chapel Hill ... and adjacent to the Triangle area. But I hear it's artsy & hippie & "The Paris of the Piedmont" (though I believe the title was given sarcastically.) Maybe y'all will end up there one day & we can meet! Thanks for responding. It's really helpful to hear stories of other people's analysis & where they ended up.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1392045160|3611878 said:
No helpful suggestions Deco but I am bookmarking this thread because these are the very thoughts I am having this crazy winter (and driving my dh batty as a result haha).As I get older I cannot tolerate the cold and snow and ice as well and if cost was not a factor I can think of a few places I would love to move to. Certain parts of Hawaii (cool and dry side) and certain areas of California (but the drought among other factors makes it prohibitively expensive). Unfortunately cost is a big factor so those places are out and our family is on the east coast as well and we don't want to just up and leave them here as they are getting older and will not move under any circumstances. Looking forward to what is suggested.And sending ***dust*** for calmer weather ahead for all!
I'LL DRINK TO THAT DUST! Oof. Was just reading about the dire "snow boot shortage" around the Tri-State/Northeast. If we're moving ... I refuse to buy new snowboots anyway. Take THAT Mother Nature! Thanks, Missy!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1392049692|3611903 said:
Deco, how do you feel about Richmond? I feel like it has a lot of perks (AFFORDABLE! walkable downtown, milder winters, close to your family, only a couple of hours to fun destinations like the Outer Banks, good employment options) and has a cozier feeling than NOVA. Granted, I've only been to Richmond a couple of times (lived in DC for several years before moving to Boston), but as a fellow dweller of the Northeast and really just sick of the cost of living here, I've been really eyeing Richmond. Lots of luck to you! ETA: I also like that Richmond isn't so far south that I would be dying in the summer. As tired as I get of winter by Feb/Mar, I really can't do hot summers. Sounds like you might be in a similar boat.
Hey New England Lady! I can't believe you're thinking the same way! Between you & Missy -- it's making me feel less crazy/reactionary! :) Re: Richmond ... my sister actually lives there w/her family and loves it. If you ever need any more specific advice about there ... we'll figure a way to connect you w/her somehow. She's close to your age & has two young sons. Her only complaint is a lack of a Children's Hospital because she's a pediatric nurse practitioner and has had trouble finding good jobs there. Otherwise it's PIMP.

We'd love it there too probably - but it doesn't have enough Tech jobs for DH currently. He's looking into it just in case because it would be great (and VERY central for my other family members). Thanks for the scoop & commiseration! :bigsmile:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boatluvr|1392050767|3611911 said:
I really have no idea as to the availability of tech jobs but, Charleston, SC is absolutely beautiful. I visited in December and it was a bit chilly (I was doing a sailboat regatta) but it wasn't horrible like the East Coast has been this winter. It has a really nice downtown area but overall, kind of a small town feel. I moved back to the DC area after living in SoCal for 14 years. Check out San Clemente, CA. The weather could not be better! I had a 2 bedroom apartment three blocks from the beach - rent was $1,000 p/m. Buying is more expensive, however. Good Luck!

Hi Boatluvr! I've never been to Charleston but always admired it from afar. So historic & beautiful & coastal. I really want to visit. But at this point am not sure it'll be a serious contender because of the Tech Job factor. Will look into San Clemente if we turn west. THANKS!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
April20|1392053492|3611930 said:
Maybe Raleigh or Charlotte? Or Atlanta ! But I'm partial to Atlanta. Not sure on tech jobs but the cost of living is great!
Hey April20! Thanks! I asked DH to look into the Tech prospects of Atlanta. Don't know much about Charlotte. Off to research!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results