shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please! Re: Antivirus XP 2010 Infection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Please help me, my XP is infected by both:

Antivirus XP 2010
AND
Advanced defender

They are both what''s called rogue, distributed through malware. Now I can not see anything on my desktop and fake virus-warnings are popping up every minute! All the software that offered to remove these rogue turns out to want you to pay as well.

What should I do? Is there a legit, free program I can use to kill these rogue?

Thanks!
Zhuzhu

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to sound weird but did you look and see if you can uninstall from Control Panel. I know one of my users got something similar and I was so surprised I could uninstall from there. Of course, then I had to run malware bytes and hijackthis but it ended up ok.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 11:27:21 PM
Author: y2kitty
This is going to sound weird but did you look and see if you can uninstall from Control Panel. I know one of my users got something similar and I was so surprised I could uninstall from there. Of course, then I had to run malware bytes and hijackthis but it ended up ok.

I did find a folder for one of them but could not remove it using "remove program" tab. I simply deleted it. It however kept on doing what it is doing so it is still in my system.

Are there free versions of malware bytes and hijackthis that you know of that I could download? Thanks!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Both of those are free, but if you have the infection I think you do then you won''t be able to get to the websites to download them. But try googling them.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I am using my other laptop right now. I will check them out! Thanks!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful of sites that offer free or low cost virus removal (or tell you that your computer is infected). The link you click on will likely further infect your computer.

I would only buy from a well known vendor. Personally I like Zone-Alarm [which uses Kasperly (spelling) antivirus].

There is probably no way that you are going to fix your computer without spending money.

Perry

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
download malwarebytes on another computer.
burn it to cd
Reboot into safe mode with networking install and run.
(hit f8 as soon as the bios screen comes up and keep hitting it, select safe mode with networking)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Chasester

Rough_Rock
i''m really late to this post. but for this particular infection. Nothing less than a full complete format and reinstall will be effective enough.

This bad boy puts droppers in your computer that are not seen by antivirus until they make signatures for it.

Enhancements of the XP Antivirus include keyloggers and ex filtration of usernames and passwords to websites you have visited.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results