shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me settle a debate with my husband about cooking odors!

Use of an outside-venting range hood will reduce long-term cooking odor.

• Yes

Votes: 43 97.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
We have a range hood that vents outside (as opposed to one that just sucks steam/smoke from the stove-top area and vents it back into the kitchen over your head).

Will use of that range hood during cooking help reduce odors that stick around well after the meal is over?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help me settle a debate with my husband about cooking od

Yes, according to eHow.com.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

Sounds as if you have a true air exchange hood, and if that is the case with it venting outdoors, then the odors, and other airborne matter will be displaced from inside your home or kitchen to the outdoors by the vacuum effect, where conventional range hoods tend to just stir it up in the room and push burned food smoke everywhere! :lol:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Ravinmad|1325781881|3095730 said:
Sounds as if you have a true air exchange hood, and if that is the case with it venting outdoors, then the odors, and other airborne matter will be displaced from inside your home or kitchen to the outdoors by the vacuum effect, where conventional range hoods tend to just stir it up in the room and push burned food smoke everywhere! :lol:

We do have a true air exchange hood (I believe). It definitely vents outdoors instead of just shooting it back over our head and stirring things up!

DH is pretty against using it. Claims it does nothing. I heartily disagree...

Just sick of our apartment constantly smelling like food! It's disgusting!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

just use it.

some foods smell more than others. vinegar is supposed to help.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Why in the world would he be against using it? Is he an AIR HOARDER? :naughty:

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock

Why on earth would he be against using it? Even if he thinks it doesn't do anything for the food, you should point out that it definitely improves your mood!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, it absolutely works. Does it bug him because it's noisy? Sometimes that bothers me about ours. If I turn it up to high, we can barely carry a conversation over it.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

puppmom|1325784484|3095759 said:
Yes, it absolutely works. Does it bug him because it's noisy? Sometimes that bothers me about ours. If I turn it up to high, we can barely carry a conversation over it.

This is why I'm not really a fan of ours either. If we're cooking something that's creating a lot of smoke or steam, I'll turn it on, but other than that I choose to leave it off because I find it very loud.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

sonnyjane|1325785452|3095772 said:
puppmom|1325784484|3095759 said:

This is why I'm not really a fan of ours either. If we're cooking something that's creating a lot of smoke or steam, I'll turn it on, but other than that I choose to leave it off because I find it very loud.

Same here.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

decodelighted|1325783473|3095747 said:

God only knows Deco... we have literally had fights about his lack of use of the vent.

I think he doesn't like the noise. It is fairly powerful and noisy. Because he thinks that it doesn't help, he refuses to use it for my pleasure. He often listens to podcasts on his computer or episodes of Star Trek so with the vent on he can't hear anything.

The worst odor comes from when he makes pad Thai from scratch. I was packing for a business trip when he was making it one Sunday and all of my clothes smelled terrible. I had to lay them out all over my hotel room to try and air them out. :knockout:

ETA: I see others have issues with noise, too. I really only want him to use it when he is cooking at a high temperature or cooking with oil. He likes to sear meat in a little bit of really hot oil to get it crispy on the outside/seal in moisture. Since he cooks chicken or some other meat almost every night this really creates a lot of odor! He also loves to use lots of shallots, onion, and garlic cooked initially at a high temperature.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Clairitek|1325786720|3095800 said:

God only knows Deco... we have literally had fights about his lack of use of the vent.

I think he doesn't like the noise. It is fairly powerful and noisy. Because he thinks that it doesn't help, he refuses to use it for my pleasure. He often listens to podcasts on his computer or episodes of Star Trek so with the vent on he can't hear anything.

The worst odor comes from when he makes pad Thai from scratch. I was packing for a business trip when he was making it one Sunday and all of my clothes smelled terrible. I had to lay them out all over my hotel room to try and air them out. :knockout:

ETA: I see others have issues with noise, too. I really only want him to use it when he is cooking at a high temperature or cooking with oil. He likes to sear meat in a little bit of really hot oil to get it crispy on the outside/seal in moisture. Since he cooks chicken or some other meat almost every night this really creates a lot of odor! He also loves to use lots of shallots, onion, and garlic cooked initially at a high temperature.

This is my kind of my qualm with my husband as well lol. When HE is cooking, not only must the fan be on, but all doors and windows downstairs must be open too! When he cooks meat, he uses this spice blend that has dried hot peppers (Spicy Montreal Steak), and when he sears the meat, it literally fills the downstairs with fumes that make me cry and cough within seconds. One day I was showering UPSTAIRS with the doors closed and he was cooking downstairs and I was still coughing! I HATE that particular spice blend because of what it does to my house! I've gone to the extent of trying to switch it out with the regular Montreal Steak (which is yummy), but he always ends up finding the spicy one again! It's like cooking with mustard gas!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

sonnyjane|1325788686|3095832 said:
Clairitek|1325786720|3095800 said:

This is my kind of my qualm with my husband as well lol. When HE is cooking, not only must the fan be on, but all doors and windows downstairs must be open too! When he cooks meat, he uses this spice blend that has dried hot peppers (Spicy Montreal Steak), and when he sears the meat, it literally fills the downstairs with fumes that make me cry and cough within seconds. One day I was showering UPSTAIRS with the doors closed and he was cooking downstairs and I was still coughing! I HATE that particular spice blend because of what it does to my house! I've gone to the extent of trying to switch it out with the regular Montreal Steak (which is yummy), but he always ends up finding the spicy one again! It's like cooking with mustard gas!

Oh boy. The mustard gas cooking. I've been there, too! He LOVES spicy stuff too (I adore Montreal Steak in all its forms) and he often makes his own pepper flakes from leftover Thai chilis or from hot peppers I used to grow in our old garden. The first time he did it was in our old house (with no kitchen ventilation beyond a door and window) and I was hacking for hours after the fact. He simply could not believe that my throat was tight and restricted and that I was having a hard time breathing because of the pepper smoke.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe you could have one of those 1-10 convos. Like .... listen, on a scale of 1-10 these cooking smells bother me a TEN. How much does the noise bother you? Maybe that would make it CLEARER to him how strongly you feel about it.

We don't have ANY vent system right now and it makes cooking certain things out of the question! I can't stand the smells! We can't deep fry -- we can't broil steaks ... super hot roasted chicken will linger for days. It's awful!

I have a feeling he's more sensitive to noise and you're more sensitive to smells .... let's see where it plays out on the 1-10!

ETA: Re the pepper steak incident .... it's possible you might be slightly asthmatic. I've noticed it coming on in recent years as I get older. Super sensitive to, say, cold air with exertion ... the smell of the heater in the car starting .... colds last longer & might have some chest rattle & wheezing.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

decodelighted|1325789160|3095837 said:
ETA: Re the pepper steak incident .... it's possible you might be slightly asthmatic. I've noticed it coming on in recent years as I get older. Super sensitive to, say, cold air with exertion ... the smell of the heater in the car starting .... colds last longer & might have some chest rattle & wheezing.

Hmm that's interesting. My chest does tend to hurt if the air is cold, even when just walking, but it feels more like heartburn than a feeling in my lungs?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

It works. I'm not sure how he would think it doesn't work. Even in biological labs, outside venting hoods are used (of course they are not the same as a cooking vent, but the principle is the same.)

I cook a lot with a lot of spices, and it's an absolute must.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Sure it works. Unless you open all four of the great big kitchen windows next to where the vent comes out,then cook on a windy day. :rolleyes:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bowls of vinegar really help. My mom refuses to use her fan because it's too loud.

We used them when we made latkes in our house. Frying potatoes in onions leaves the most horrible smell lingering in the air, who would have thought? :cheeky:

We also set out bowls of vinegar when our pup came in the house and flopped all over the floors covered in skunk spray. They're surprisingly effective. The kitties kept sticking their noses in the bowls and then sneezing, which was an added amusement.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

decodelighted|1325789160|3095837 said:
Maybe you could have one of those 1-10 convos. Like .... listen, on a scale of 1-10 these cooking smells bother me a TEN. How much does the noise bother you? Maybe that would make it CLEARER to him how strongly you feel about it.

We don't have ANY vent system right now and it makes cooking certain things out of the question! I can't stand the smells! We can't deep fry -- we can't broil steaks ... super hot roasted chicken will linger for days. It's awful!

I have a feeling he's more sensitive to noise and you're more sensitive to smells .... let's see where it plays out on the 1-10!

You are correct- I am sensitive to smell and he is sensitive to noise. Maybe he should wear ear plugs when he cooks? My parents called me the Bionic Nose when I was a little kid because I couldn't be in the house when she made curry without gagging.

I know! I'll get him noise-cancelling headphones with the capability to listen to stuff wirelessly (does this exist??) so he can listen to his podcasts and TV from the computer while he cooks! Bonus is that it also blocks out a nagging wife!!! Perfect.

I'll try the 1-10 thing later one. I sent him the link about odors being an aerosol/suspension in the air (which is why they can be physicall removed, its not just some random vapor that is hard to control) and he said it wasn't "scientific enough" to prove anything. What a weiner!! :cheeky:

I will try the vinegar thing that some people suggested. Thanks! I'm sure the added cat entertainment will be a nice bonus. Ours can't resist a bowl or glass of water (or water-looking stuff as the case may be).

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

pregcurious|1325792063|3095869 said:
It works. I'm not sure how he would think it doesn't work. Even in biological labs, outside venting hoods are used (of course they are not the same as a cooking vent, but the principle is the same.)

I cook a lot with a lot of spices, and it's an absolute must.

Now this is something he might be able to understand.... He is a chemical engineer and has spent considerable time in a lab. In fact, where I work I use a scrubber system if we think we might be putting something up the hood that would be dangerous to the surrounding bank or day care center (so they don't have the chance of inhaling anything nasty). The scrubber removes the particles from the air.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

Get a small IWS and scrubber setup to handle it all.... j/k

try an electro-HEPA filtration unit with ozone generation if the range hood causes problems that cant be agreed/settled upon. table top ones should be a few hundred bucks. Tell him you will call industiral hygene on him and OSHA if he dont clean up his kitchen HAPS =)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Get a door to separate your kitchen from the rest of the house if possible. Shut it, then open the windows in the kitchen and turn the vent on.

Basically ventilate the kitchen as much as possible. It obviously helps. I HATE the sound of those range hoods as well, but you can install a silent one, or a silenced one. You only need to turn it on the moment the food hits the pan, and then lower it and let it cycle for a while after cooking.

We open the doors/windows AFTER cooking. Sometimes you need to pay attention to how airflow works in your house. If you cross ventilate and air moves from the kitchen to other parts of the house, ventilating LESS is better from an odour standpoint. If air exits your kitchen then ventilate as much as possible.

In my place we shut the door and open the windows and turn on the vent. I hate the sound, so I cook faster. We then ventilate the whole house after cooking. Helps. Oil odours are very pervasive. Oil vaporises at high heat, or is carried in droplets, it then coalesces every bloody where and smells linger. Aromatic cooking styles over a period of years can literally leave your house reeking of dinner on a day to day basis.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Isn't it like having an exhaust fan in the bathroom? :read: Maybe if you relate it that way (manspeak, that is) he will get it?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Where I live an outside venting fan is code in the kitchen. It is meant to vent heat and gases, as well as odors. It's more of a safety issue.

I happen to have a clear glass hood and let me tell you, after a greasy fried or sauted dish (meat or vegetables) there is a noticeable grease film on the top and bottom of the glass hood. And that is with me using the high powered fan. Odors are attached to the moisture and those droplets float around the room until they land on something. It they land on fabric...well, you've got a permanent smell.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The hood vent will be most effective if you both turn it on and open the nearest window a little bit. Tell your engineer husband that my engineer husband told me that so it must be true!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

TristanC|1325823584|3096265 said:
Get a door to separate your kitchen from the rest of the house if possible. Shut it, then open the windows in the kitchen and turn the vent on.

Basically ventilate the kitchen as much as possible. It obviously helps. I HATE the sound of those range hoods as well, but you can install a silent one, or a silenced one. You only need to turn it on the moment the food hits the pan, and then lower it and let it cycle for a while after cooking.

We open the doors/windows AFTER cooking. Sometimes you need to pay attention to how airflow works in your house. If you cross ventilate and air moves from the kitchen to other parts of the house, ventilating LESS is better from an odour standpoint. If air exits your kitchen then ventilate as much as possible.

In my place we shut the door and open the windows and turn on the vent. I hate the sound, so I cook faster. We then ventilate the whole house after cooking. Helps. Oil odours are very pervasive. Oil vaporises at high heat, or is carried in droplets, it then coalesces every bloody where and smells linger. Aromatic cooking styles over a period of years can literally leave your house reeking of dinner on a day to day basis.

I should have mentioned that we live in a rental with a completely open floor plan. The only openings are a window at one end and a balcony door at the same end (its a retangular shaped room). It *is* the oil that bothers me the most. I've said exactly what you said to him numerous times and he still thinks I'm nuts to think that the range hood will do *any* good at all.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

monarch64|1325824767|3096270 said:
Isn't it like having an exhaust fan in the bathroom? :read: Maybe if you relate it that way (manspeak, that is) he will get it?

This is a good idea.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

DH and I looked around for good over-the-ear wireless headphones last night. That way he can cook, be free of a wire, and have most of the noise of the vent blocked out. He has also agreed to use the vent when he is cooking something oily (which is almost all the time since we sautee a lot of stuff). Thank GOODNESS.

We currently live in a really open rental. The kitchen, living, and dining area are one big room and our bedroom and bathroom are through a door. We plan on designing and building our own home down the line in a few years and I know that the most quiet but powerful range hood will be on order. I am grateful for the one we currently have as it really helps with odor removal (IMO anyway) and we didn't have anything to help ventilate before.

I saw another tip to open a window a bit when venting. A great idea and totally feasible without freezing since we live in a place where its 50-60 in the winter.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Build an outdoor kitchen for him in the new house.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Opening the windows can backfire a bit. It depends on airflow around the house and to some extent on prevailing wind direction outside. For me, it just blows all the cooking smell back into the kitchen, since the windows are on the same side of the house as the vent outlet, and the wind blows in just the right direction most of the time to push it all back into the house. It took me a ridiculously long time to figure out that's what the problem was.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results