shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me settle a debate with my husband about cooking odors!

Use of an outside-venting range hood will reduce long-term cooking odor.

• Yes

Votes: 43 97.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Help me settle a debate with my husband about cooking od

Clairitek|1325782335|3095738 said:
Ravinmad|1325781881|3095730 said:
Sounds as if you have a true air exchange hood, and if that is the case with it venting outdoors, then the odors, and other airborne matter will be displaced from inside your home or kitchen to the outdoors by the vacuum effect, where conventional range hoods tend to just stir it up in the room and push burned food smoke everywhere! :lol:

We do have a true air exchange hood (I believe). It definitely vents outdoors instead of just shooting it back over our head and stirring things up!

DH is pretty against using it. Claims it does nothing. I heartily disagree...

Just sick of our apartment constantly smelling like food! It's disgusting!

how can you be "pretty against" something that you think does nothing? What's the concern there? Just ignore him and do it lol

smartdriver

Rough_Rock

I didn't even know they make internal exhaust still, but I just looked it up and that's why they are inexpensive. Oils that don't escape outside will get stuck to your interior walls.

I would definatly buy and external exhaust and vent the cooking oily cooking to the outside. It just makes healthy sense to not breathe in that oily air.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

swingirl|1325826706|3096284 said:
Where I live an outside venting fan is code in the kitchen. It is meant to vent heat and gases, as well as odors. It's more of a safety issue.

I happen to have a clear glass hood and let me tell you, after a greasy fried or sauted dish (meat or vegetables) there is a noticeable grease film on the top and bottom of the glass hood. And that is with me using the high powered fan. Odors are attached to the moisture and those droplets float around the room until they land on something. It they land on fabric...well, you've got a permanent smell.

I have to make DH turn on the vent when he is cooking. He does it when I ask to make me happy, even though he generally forgets otherwise. I find the cooking odors more irritating than he does, apparently.

There is a door between the kitchen and my office next door. It's too bad that most kitchens these days do not have doors, because then you could shut them and trap him in the room with all the odors. :rolleyes:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

Clairitek|1325804244|3096013 said:
I know! I'll get him noise-cancelling headphones with the capability to listen to stuff wirelessly (does this exist??) so he can listen to his podcasts and TV from the computer while he cooks! Bonus is that it also blocks out a nagging wife!!! Perfect.

I know I'm quite late to this party, but you can get bluetooth headphones (I'm sure that you can get them in noise-cancelling ones, just don't know of any specific ones to suggest), and he can wirelessly link to his computer. If his computer doesn't have bluetooth, you can get a little usb thing that will make it bluetooth-capable, for a next to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter&x=0&y=0&sprefix=usb+bluetooth

And....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter&x=0&y=0&sprefix=usb+bluetooth#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=noise+cancelling+bluetooth+headphones&sprefix=noise+cancelling+bluetooth+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anoise+cancelling+bluetooth+headphones

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra|1326072542|3098233 said:
Clairitek|1325782335|3095738 said:
Ravinmad|1325781881|3095730 said:
Sounds as if you have a true air exchange hood, and if that is the case with it venting outdoors, then the odors, and other airborne matter will be displaced from inside your home or kitchen to the outdoors by the vacuum effect, where conventional range hoods tend to just stir it up in the room and push burned food smoke everywhere! :lol:

We do have a true air exchange hood (I believe). It definitely vents outdoors instead of just shooting it back over our head and stirring things up!

DH is pretty against using it. Claims it does nothing. I heartily disagree...

Just sick of our apartment constantly smelling like food! It's disgusting!

how can you be "pretty against" something that you think does nothing? What's the concern there? Just ignore him and do it lol

As I've outlined above, he is opposed to the noise. Since he feels that the vent doesn't serve any major purpose, he doesn't like putting up with the noise just to make me happy.

He does the majority of the cooking. When he doesn't use the vent I've walked over there and just turned it on. This has never ended well.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

manderz|1326162030|3099009 said:
Clairitek|1325804244|3096013 said:
I know! I'll get him noise-cancelling headphones with the capability to listen to stuff wirelessly (does this exist??) so he can listen to his podcasts and TV from the computer while he cooks! Bonus is that it also blocks out a nagging wife!!! Perfect.

I know I'm quite late to this party, but you can get bluetooth headphones (I'm sure that you can get them in noise-cancelling ones, just don't know of any specific ones to suggest), and he can wirelessly link to his computer. If his computer doesn't have bluetooth, you can get a little usb thing that will make it bluetooth-capable, for a next to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter&x=0&y=0&sprefix=usb+bluetooth

And....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+bluetooth+adapter&x=0&y=0&sprefix=usb+bluetooth#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=noise+cancelling+bluetooth+headphones&sprefix=noise+cancelling+bluetooth+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anoise+cancelling+bluetooth+headphones

Thanks for the links! We've been looking into the options for this. He is open to using this as a solution.

He did make pad thai on Sunday night and used the vent. I came home from work yesterday to an odor-free apartment. The first time in a long time. I'm going to be nice and not rub it in his face that I was (probably?) right about it and just be happy that he actually used the vent.

Zippo

Rough_Rock

Recently purchased a foreclosure home, the property had sat empty for over a year before, I bought it and pet and kitchen odors were pretty bad. A friend had mentioned this air-renu product, at first I thought it was way out but, I had to paint the entire house anyway and if it did work I would save a lot of money by not having to replace the carpet and carpet pad. It took several weeks before I could tell it was working now all the smell is gone. If your having an odor problem. www.air-renu.com

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results