shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Help DH get out of Jury Duty (NY State), please!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hey Everyone,

if there are any PSers familiar with the NY State Jury Commissioners Office, I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

A few months ago, DH (a non-US citizen) received a notice indicating he may be up for Jury Duty in the state of NY. Attached to this notice was a questionnaire he was required to complete to determine his eligibility. He completed the form and attached supporting documentation (foreign passport, current work VISA) proving he is not eligible to be a juror.

Last Friday, he received a summons informing him he has been selected and spent a good part of this morning trying to reach someone at the Commissioner's Office before calling me in frustration. I then spent a good portion of this afternoon doing the same thing. eusa_wall.gif I keep getting either an automated message that does not let me leave a message or it will ring once and then go to a busy signal. The only other options I kept getting were automated prompts to postpone the summons, which we don't want to do.

DH, in his frustration, has suggested just ignoring the summons but I'm thinking that's a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had any success actually getting someone on the phone? If not, do you think if I go armed with DH's passport, work VISA, and driver's license to the court house, I can get him removed? He is resistant to going himself due to his current work schedule.

Thank you!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Julie. I wasn't sure if it would be a wasted trip if I went in his place.

LovesVintage, :wavey: The summons says he's a New York County Juror. Would that be the district? The original notice/questionnaire he received months ago did provide the option to attach documentation proving ineligibility. We mailed in:

1.) A photocopy of the Alien Registration Card (both sides)
2.) A photocopy of the Work Authorization Card
3.) A photocopy of the Visa
4.) A photocopy of the Passport

They either lost/never received/ignored this documentation because he just got the summons Friday to show up as a Juror later this month.

ETA: just saw your update! Thanks. I guess a visit is in order, then. :twirl:

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if they would accept anyone else but him in person. I've gotten out because of my small children. Do you have small children? You can use them as an excuse. All I had to do is go there with their birth cert to show they weren't full time students.

If he can go in person I would..if he goes when they open, he will be out in less than 20 min. I was in and out in about that time and I had 3 ppl ahead of me. GL

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
The other option might be to send a letter, return receipt requested (the green card you stick to the envelope that they have to tear off and send back to you when they receive the letter) including another photocopy of his documentation and a signed (by him) request that they excuse him as ineligible and send him confirmation. At least that way, you have a paper trail. You can always request the deferral while this gets sorted out, too, if it doesn't look like it will happen in time.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hi CDinNYC! I would go in person if I were you - the office is downtown it's very easy to talk to a live person (instead of a recorded message) and get it settled quickly. It's quick and painless. You don't want to delay and then have DH face mandatory service. It is MUCH harder once selected to get this straightened out than if you get it taken care of beforehand. I think you would be able to go in his stead if he has to work - they are very nice and understanding. :wavey: I went there a couple of months ago because I was selected. I actually wanted to serve but it turned out to be tough since I was pregnant and needed frequent bathroom breaks, had nausea and etc. Not compatible with jury duty, which can have very long sessions. They excused me after serving for a few days and were very nice about it.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go in person. If needed explain it to the judge during jury selection.

By the way, you might wish to consider it an honor to have been selected (even if incorrectly).

Perry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results