shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP, lost my new upgrade ring.. just added it insurance...

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock
I mean, just added it, like not even a week ago, I haven't even gotten the bill yet!

OK, deep breath. Here is the background. Dh and I upgraded my original ering, about 8 months ago to a 1.78J VVS EX EX EX, round brilliant. I kept meaning to add it to our homeowners but never got around to it. We have a 3yo ds who loves to get into everything and who has been especially challenging larely which spurred me (thankfully) to call the insurance company and add the ring. Well today Dh was taking a shower and ds was up in our room where my ring were sitting. He has two different stories, one he put them it in the potty (I flushed it before I knew my ring as missing b/c it was full of tp) the other story is that it is behind my dresser, I have moved that and and looked in every drawer and any imaginable place. I don't know what to do. Ds isn't very verbal and not very realiable it could be flushed and gone or it could be anywhere. Funny thing he left my wedding band sitting there, didn't touch it. My questions are, am I covered? I wanted to go ahead and pay the premium when I dropped off the appraisal, but they said they would bill me, also I have farmers insurance ( just famers not state farm) anyone have any experience with them? I am so stressed. Do I report it right away? Keep looking? It's going to look really bad, losing the ring 5days after I insured it?? What do I do?? I am literally sick. I don't know what to do. We do not have money to replace this ring Dh is so frustrated with me for not getting it on our policy earlier, I don't even know what our policy covers.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Re: HELP, lost my new upgrade ring.. just added it insurance

Aww, TBM, what a shame! Hang in there, it may turn up, probably when you clean out to move!

I'm not an insurance expert but I think once you add something to a policy, it's covered. Household insurance usually provides for a certain amount in jewelery coverage, so it might have qualified anyway. Who gives a hoot what the co. thinks? Stuff happens with little guys around the house, as 99% of their employees know from experience!

Don't think you need to worry; it should be covered okay. Chin up.

--- Laurie

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

TBM, Your policy should cover it. Sometimes this is what happens. I'd continue to search but call the company anyway.

Good luck

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have Farmers as well. We have had them for many many years. I would just give them a call and report it. We have always
been told by our agent that we are covered the moment we called. We have done this with adding kids to policies, adding
new cars, and our life ins. I think you will be ok. Please let us know.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

Oh Dear! What bad (or good!) timing.

If i were you i would be straight on to the insurance asap and be as open and transparent about the whole event as you can possibly be.

(Not my ring but) About 2 months ago I finally switched my car insurance to my DH's to save some money, had been meaning to do it for ages but just never got around to it. Well, not even a week later one of my work mates backed a work van in to it and smashed it all up. My insurance company was good but they did freeze my claim and put it under investigation in case of fraud as it was the company policy to do so when a claim was made on a new policy within 3 weeks of it being opened.

So I am sure everything will be fine, but i thought I would let you know that there is a possibility that they will look into it a little more closely and that it is best just to be open about it with them as soon as you can.

Good luck! I hope you find your ring! :))

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock

Thanks, for all the replies. I looked until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer last night. I'm just waiting until my insurance company opens to call. I'm a wreck. My dad said that they will jack up our premiums or drop us for making such a big claim and under such questionable circumstances!! The ring appraised at $11,000. We've been with this agent ever since we got married, my parents have been with them for 20 years. The agent changed providers about 6-7 years ago, so we all switched to farmers then. I wonder how they will investigate a jewelry loss? I have nothing to hide, but not sure how to prove I lost it when I lost it. Any clues how this is dealt with. I guess I will know in a couple of hours when the insurance company opens for the day.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Could not be better that you've had the same agent so long & he knows your family!! The individual agent makes a huuuge difference. If he is behind you, you should really be okay. They do have clout with the company. Our car insurance tried to drop us after 2 claims (small, both of them & neither one our fault!) in one year; I talked to the agent & he got them to cut out the crap. They did raise premiums but I had no complaint about that. Don't worry, it will work out okay!

--- Laurie

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock

I called the insurance company and explained what happened to the agents secretary, she said I should keep looking, but go ahead and make a claim. She was going to call their underwriter and and get back to me. She said I was covered. I am still a mess. I didn't get any specifics yet, I don't know if they will replace my ring or what. I am still hoping to find MY ring. I am just sick, sick, sick. I don't want another ring. I felt bad enough doing the upgrade in the first place, but my originally ring was really outdated and we had it made into a pendant ( that helped relieve the guilt some). I was able to look at the new ring as a sign as how far we had come as a couple..........now it is gone. Talk about guilt on top of guilt. Thanks for letting me vent, I am just going nuts here, and Dh is just as upset as I am except he doesn't want to talk about it- men :rolleyes:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to drop off a {{{Big Hug}}} TBM. Keep looking and I'm sending you some ***diamond location dust***
to help with your search. That little sticker (DS...gotta love em)!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yikes - what a headache. It's wonderful that it's insured, and that you're covered: try not to worry too much about being dropped, etc. (after all, it's moments like this that insurance is made for, right?).

Since you're still searching ... one trick that works well for me is to turn out all the lights, get a flashlight, and sweep the room. The light can catch the glimmer in the most unlikely places. This won't work if the potty story is the true one ... but so long as there's a kernel of hope, it can't hurt to look. Good luck!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

So sorry about your ring! But I'm glad to hear that it's covered. Similar incidewnt happend to us last year. We never really had home owner's insurance because our townhome had some coverage for the exterior (in case of fire etc). Well, when we re-financed our house last year we HAD to get home-owner's insurance, and 4 days later we had a dishwasher valve that gave out which led to a major flood downstairs. They did a very thorough investigation, but coincidences like that happen, and we got our claim paid out about 2 months later. Good luck, hope they come through for you quickly.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

tyty333 said:
Just wanted to drop off a {{{Big Hug}}} TBM. Keep looking and I'm sending you some ***diamond location dust***
to help with your search
. That little sticker (DS...gotta love em)!

Dust from me too.

I am so happy you made the call to insure it when you did. This kinda thing happens and if you cannot find it and your premium rises, it surely won't rise by 11k over your lifetime.

I understand the symbolism of 'making it'. But that was one of many settings and one of many diamonds you 'could' have bought. It is the relationship which is proof of your 'making it'. The ring is just a symbol, and is the only replaceable part and if necessary, replace it, you will.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Hi teddybearmommy! :wavey:

Don't worry! The most important thing will be the cert. Finding an identical diamond could be tricky business with the insurance company. You want to make sure you get the same cut quality.

My mom had a really bad experience with the Hartford - the 3rd party they use, ReplacementServices.com, tried to give her the shaft on cut quality. They wound up lowballing the replacement value and offering frozen spit. It was horrible.

Any chance DS will come clean about what really happened? Has he taken and hidden anything before?

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock

Well today was a long day of searching. I came up empty handed. I never heard back from the insurance company. I don't know if my agent will call back or if it will be the adjuster or what. I'm a wreck. I've looked everywhere I can think of. I will keep looking, but all the most likely places have already been searched. I'm feeling more and more sure it went down the potty. I let myself cry and be depressed today and now, I'm just going to deal with it. I guess I'll just have to wait for the insurance company to call me back. If they investigate, which I can understand, what will they do?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock

Steal said:
I understand the symbolism of 'making it'. But that was one of many settings and one of many diamonds you 'could' have bought. It is the relationship which is proof of your 'making it'. The ring is just a symbol, and is the only replaceable part and if necessary, replace it, you will.
This is a great point. It's not like your son flushed your marriage down the toilet :cheeky: I know the ring was a meaningful symbol, but Steal hit the nail on the head when she said it is the only replaceable part.

I know it's upsetting, but please don't be so hard on yourself. These things happen. It's not your fault that it got lost, and thank god you had it insured!

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock

Thanks, for all the diamond dust, I wish I could say it worked. I'm still looking, but it's really just going back over places I've already looked. After more questioning of Ds and going over that day again and again, I'm feeling more and more sure that it was flushed down the toilet. The insurance adjuster called me yesterday, and had me tell her exactly what happened. I was a nervous wreck. I tried to remember every detail then came the dreaded question why did you wait so long to add it? I just answered as honestly as I could, that I had no good reason, I had just put it off, since my insurance agent is 45minutes away. I ended up doing it the day I did it b/c I was in town for my dads birthday. The insurance office is right next to the resturaunt we were meeting at so I called ahead to find out what they needed for me to add my ring and dropped it off before I took him out for lunch, then she had me have my jeweler fax over a copy of their paperwork on the ring. I did that immediately. Then about an hour later realized I forgot to tell them to put my claim# on the paperwork, so I called the adjuster back left her a voice mail, explaining what I had done, and then had the paperwork faxed again with the claim number this time. Jeesh, this whole thing is turning me into a mumbling bumbling slobbering idiot. I just want my ring back. I absolutely hate how this is making me feel.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

No good advice but (((huge hugs)))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results