shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! How the heck do I get rid of the acorns on my lawn??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have two huge trees that drop acorns. Spring is coming and the squirrels have yet to gobble them all up. It looks horrible and walking across my lawn is like walking on marbles. To top it off, my dog has taken to putting them in his mouth, biting them in half then spitting them out. So now I have a bunch of acorns halves and I''m afraid he''s going to break a tooth!

The rake just isn''t cutting it. I am about to bust out the shop vac!

This is our second year in our house and we really want to do some nice landscaping this spring but first task is getting rid of these stinking acorns!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
to the rescue!

sq-family-picture-day.jpg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I wish! My little squirrel friends aren''t pulling through for me. Maybe I need to find a way to entice them into the yard. The 85lb Rhodesian Ridgeback isn''t helping the cause.

PS - I can''t believe how angry I seem about acorns in my original post!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If this was my problem I would pay my kids to do it. They love earning extra money. Do you have children yourself or maybe a friend who would let their child earn some extra money?
1.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Puppmom - I have the SAME problem! I think there was a bumper crop of acorns this year because I do NOT recall this issue last year (this is only our second year in our house too.) I *think* the super high power leaf blower may work on them, but have yet to test this out (maybe this weekend). We have one of the push leaf blowers. We have tons of squirrels, but not enough to deal with all of these acorns! My beagle mix has also taken to breaking them in half recently.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
You need a NUT WIZARD! Seriously. My grandmother has one to pick up the pecans that fall from her trees. You just roll it over the nut and it gets trapped in the wheel. Press the wheel on a bucket and out they come!

Three NW.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 10:09:38 AM
Author: redfaerythinker
You need a NUT WIZARD! Seriously. My grandmother has one to pick up the pecans that fall from her trees. You just roll it over the nut and it gets trapped in the wheel. Press the wheel on a bucket and out they come!

That is seriously awesome.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
did no one else want to comment on those squirrel''s "nuts"??
emembarrassed.gif

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoah! This thing looks AMAZING! I can trap all of my acorns and leave them out for my squirrel friends to eat at their leisure. You made my day.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 11:31:36 AM
Author: puppmom

Whoah! This thing looks AMAZING! I can trap all of my acorns and leave them out for my squirrel friends to eat at their leisure. You made my day.
I''m not sure I can top that ingenious looking thing. You can tell there aren''t any nut trees where I live, because I''ve never seen anything like that.

I would venture that the rake you tried to use was not up to the job and suggest you take a look at the Thatchmaster Pro-flex You might want to consider one of these anyway. I must have used every kind of rake there is over the years and this one is a pretty special rake (especially for thatching and for collecting leaves). It''s because of the width of the tines and the length of the gap between each one. It doesn''t miss a thing.

If you do decide to get one, report back, because there is a technique to using it, which won''t interest you unless you get one.

Good luck with you acorns. Boy do I miss big oak trees.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 10:45:07 AM
Author: Upgradable
did no one else want to comment on those squirrel''s ''nuts''??
emembarrassed.gif

OMG I didn''t even notice. Bwahahaha!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like this acorn harvester would be faster and less work, though more expensive.
Depending on the species of your oak tree select the large or the small acorn model.

Large Acorn Harvester

Watch it work

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, I thought that was the squirrels tail. oops.

Hmph..I kinda wish I''d had one of those wheelie jobs when I still lived at home. I was the designated butternut picker upper. (I think that''s what they are..they''re green and then after they fall off they turn black.)

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
nomnomnomnom

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too cool!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
please report back on your acorn crusade :) I`ve been enjoying this thread! (but there`s almost no better thread than the squirrel peeing one by Ellen- that was one of the first ones I saw when I came to PS)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 12:18:03 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 3/9/2010 10:45:07 AM

Author: Upgradable

did no one else want to comment on those squirrel''s ''nuts''??
emembarrassed.gif

OMG I didn''t even notice. Bwahahaha!

hahahahaha me either LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results