shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Best dandruff shampoo?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I know this is icky but I really need recommendations for a good dandruff shampoo. I used to use Nizoral and it was amazing but it's been a while since I've spotted it in any store. I wonder if it's been discontinued. So I've tried Selsun Blue Medicated, The Body Shop ginger anti-dandruff and Head & Shoulders (this last is the absolute worst). None of them do a good job :cry: :mad: :cry: Please tell me which shampoo worked for you! If you can recommend any non shampoo related remedy, I would be open to that too. FYI I wash my hair once a week and air dry it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't mind paying for it Kerastase Bain Exfoliant Hydratant - Anti Dandruff Moisturising Shampoo. It's the only one I know of that gives you lovely hair as well as actually working. You might have to use it for a while to see results. Or if like me, you have a dry peeling skin from allergies Kerastase Bain Vital dermo-calm - Hypolallerganic cleansing soothing shampoo. Expensive but well worth it!!! I wash my hair every day and blow dry the freckle out if it....

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubyshoes|1382678986|3544258 said:
Sorry, I know this is icky but I really need recommendations for a good dandruff shampoo. I used to use Nizoral and it was amazing but it's been a while since I've spotted it in any store. I wonder if it's been discontinued. So I've tried Selsun Blue Medicated, The Body Shop ginger anti-dandruff and Head & Shoulders (this last is the absolute worst). None of them do a good job :cry: :mad: :cry: Please tell me which shampoo worked for you! If you can recommend any non shampoo related remedy, I would be open to that too. FYI I wash my hair once a week and air dry it.

I know the remedy from experience. I feel horrible saying it, but have your cure...wash your hair every other day and see if your problem clears up. Some I know can go three days and be okay, but I've found that if I don't wash every other day, regardless if I use fancy or cheap shampoo, it's come down to not going more than two days unless something comes up.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked online for Nizoral? It is still in abundance in UK Chemist shops, so I would doubt it is discontinued. It is the only one that has ever worked for me in the past.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Nuetrogena has one that has worked for me. When my thyroid gets out of whack I will get dandruff, but I see quickest results if I use it for a few days in a row.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I Highly HIGHLY recommend Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Oil shampoo. It has peppermint in it so is cooling on the scalp. Tea tree helps to moisturize and rejuvenate your scalp. I use it religiously!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My flakiness issues (for my scalp, anyway :mrgreen: ) cleared up when I switched to good moisturizing shampoos.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I tried Nizoral but found that Pantene's anti-dandruff shampoo worked even better for me, plus it included a moisturizer. Unfortunately they stopped making it. Then they started again, but it is usually available only by mail order, from Drugstore.com or similar places.
"Pantene pyrithione-zinc anti-dandruff shampoo."
I see it is now available from Amazon.com.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, no, I just called Pantene and they have quit making it again! I ordered some from various Amazon vendors but the Pantene folks warn that the shelf life of the active ingredients is just a couple of years. They are also sending me coupons from Head & Shoulders, which they also make, and swear up and down that one of those formulas will work. I hope so.... The number is 1-800-945-7768 if you want to complain and get coupons, too..

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the suggestions, guys! I have bookmarked this thread.

I actually found Nizoral being sold on amazon (v expensive there) and on walgreens.com. On the walgreens site, they have free shipping if you spend 25 bucks so I bought 2 bottles. (Also you can use code PRETTYFALL.)

I will also be on the lookout for the other shampoos that have been recommended here. It's so annoying how you find a perfect remedy and then boom those products become magically difficult to find. Murphy's law, hmmpph.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Yes to Carrots has one for an itchy, dry scalp. It has tea tree oil in it as well along with no parabens.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nizoral 1% is available OTC at just about any big box pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc...), but you may want to get a Rx for the Nizoral 2%. :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Interestingly, Heads and Shoulders is actually designed so you use more of it, because you see more flakes when using it. I used it for a while as a teen, and when I stopped, my dandruff went away! It works by loosening the dry skin (which almost everyone has) on your scalp, so you see them more.

That being said, dermatologists seem to like Neutrogena T-gel shampoo and it is a HUGE seller. My thinking is, it must work for those kinds of sales numbers.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've used Neutrogena T-gel shampoo in the past, and it worked very well. Actually, I am going to buy some!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results