shape
carat
color
clarity

Heel spurs

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone ever had surgery for heel spurs? I went to the podiatrist for heel pain in May and found out I have plantar fasciitis, and huuuuuge heel spurs. Like almost the entire length of my heels. Dr. said they were about 25 years in the making. I got inserts from him and am supposed to pop Aleve like crazy to reduce the swelling. I bought some Orthaheel inserts for my shoes b/c the inserts from the podiatrist aren't high enough for me.

I'm tired of limping like a lil ole lady. I looked at the surgery a little bit and it seems kinda crazy, like NO weight on the foot for 6 weeks.

Anyone had it done? I guess I'd rather have surgery and be pain free eventually than deal w/this.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Try a new podiatrist. You can have custom inserts made for your shoes and PT can help. Try rolling an iced bottle of water on your foot or frozen can and using a belt to stretch out your tendon (Or drop your heels off of stairs) I have heel spurs too and had plantar fasciitis and I live in fear that it will come back. Spinning (the biking in place thing) I found great for my muscles because it didn't hurt like running and it stretches everything its supposed to if you drop your heels off the pedals. Cortisone shots in the heel helped in a pinch, but it really just masks the major problem.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Try a new podiatrist. You can have custom inserts made for your shoes and PT can help. Try rolling an iced bottle of water on your foot or frozen can and using a belt to stretch out your tendon (Or drop your heels off of stairs) I have heel spurs too and had plantar fasciitis and I live in fear that it will come back. Spinning (the biking in place thing) I found great for my muscles because it didn't hurt like running and it stretches everything its supposed to if you drop your heels off the pedals. Cortisone shots in the heel helped in a pinch, but it really just masks the major problem.

NTave

Shiny_Rock

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll have to look around and see how many are available. My brother went to him and the inserts helped immediately. My feet just are more difficult I guess. I was told customs are about $300, and the Dr. said he'd had great results w/the other ones he has. They're like a...collage? I'm not sure what to call it--they did measurements of men's and women's feet/arches and did an average of what they need. I need something higher in the arch area to push my arches up more. He did talk about cortisone for another thing to try if the aleve and inserts didn't help after 6 months...I'd prefer to skip the cortisone, as I agree, it just masks the issue. Figures that I got rid of the exercise bike I had years ago! He said I could do light exercise, no aerobics, and could walk as much as I want daily-the problem is I can't even get thru a regular day w/out heel pain, so walking is not an option. Will look into PT as well. Thanks!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
inserts....personal and/or Dr Scholls.....and change of shoe type.
I had plantar a couple of years ago.
i'm entirely free from it now.
I mean it hurt like a mother.......
no problems now.

the problem now is osteoarthritis in the big toe, also with bone spurs that cause pain on the top of the toe when covered by certain shoe types.

sigh.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, I'm so sorry to hear you're in pain! The CB has PF which manifested itself several years ago and his podiatrist had orthotics made, which "cured" him. He was fine for a long time but then it came back (one incident did it -- the day I moved into this condo and he spent hours in boat shoes with absolutely no support) with a vengeance.

I did a bunch of research and there is a brand of OTC inserts called Sof Soles that got very good reviews. https://sofsole.com/category/insoles

The "Fit" line has low, medium and high arch versions, and there is also a version specific for PF, but some people don't like those because there is something about a bump in the heel that they find irritating. Anyway, I bought the CB a set of the Fit and when he was finally able to get into his new podiatrist a few days later the doc said those are the brand of inserts that are recommended for people who don't want to (or can't) shell out $$$ for custom for PF. The CB has good insurance and was willing to go the custom rout but the doc told him to just try the Sof Soles for a week or two. CURED!

One key is to be ABSOLUTELY RELIGIOUS about wearing them. Even if you get out of bed in the middle of the night to use the ladies room, keep a pair of slip on shoes or slippers with them right there and put them on. And don't get lulled into thinking you're good after a little while and "go commando" because it comes back like crazy if given the chance. Also, stretch your toes, arches, heels, calves, etc., before you get out of bed and a couple of times a day.

I would definitely go this route for a couple of weeks and see if you see any improvement before you commit to surgery. They sell Sof Soles in a couple of chain stores (do you have a Dick's Sporting Goods near you? or use the dealer locator on the site) or you can get them on-line, which wouldn't be as immediate but at least you'd get them. One more thing, I suggest you get the full version, not the ones that don't go under your toes, because I read a ton of reviews that said those don't stay put (I guess you could always secure them with double sided carpet tape or something else... ?) and some people said the "line" where they end under your foot was annoying (maybe it would hit you in the right spot, but who knows).

You will probably have to ease into those (not sure if you've ever had orthotics before), you can't just put them in and spend the whole day with them there because that will cause you a whole different kind of pain. I can't remember the instructions exactly but you should wear them for like an hour a day the first day, two hours second day, etc. -- something like that.

One other thing I would caution you about is that these (or any orthotic) may cause you some ankle, knee or hip pain, especially if you are using a version that lifts your arches higher than they are naturally because you're realigning everything. You may ultimately need to experiment, but spent at least a couple of weeks with one (unless the pain is intense, of course) to be sure. It could also be the specific shoes if you tend to wear the same ones. The CB wears steel-toed boots for work and he is fine in his tennis shoes and dress shoes but the boots for some reason caused him a lot of knee pain if he wore he orthotics.

Sorry for the novel here, but the CB just went through this a couple of months ago and he is now completely pain free. I hope you find relief!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks MZ. I have been wearing inserts from the store for over a year and it wasn't helping, so I went to a shoe store and stood on this thing that is supposed to check your stance or whatever, got those inserts. Finally couldn't handle it anymore b/c I couldn't walk. Since the inserts I'd gotten weren't working, including from the podiatrist, I got some Orthaheel flip flops from Zappos, and they've helped SO much. I still would have days, after being on my feet for hours, that I'd be sore, but at least I wasn't limping and wincing or trying to walk on my tip toes. But now it's not flip flop weather anymore, so hopefully the Orthaheel inserts come today and they work like the flip flops. I got some Orthaheel slippers too. With the inserts, at least I can put them in different shoes I already have and wear them all the time.

I found there is a podiatrist that comes to town so I am going to get an appt with her and see what I can find out.

Will check out those inserts, DJ, thanks! When I got the Orthaheel flip flops, I did wear them all day right away even tho it said not too and it was sooo nice. I did feel "tender" the next morning when I put them on, but it was more like when I've been to have Reflexology done on my feet-the hurt but kinda good hurt?

Thanks for the tips DJ!

ETA did the store locater and there's several in the city, so will be able to check them out easier. I did the pick your problems thing but nothing came up for plantar fasciitis/overpronation/heel spurs, so will have to be less specific!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the other thing that helped me besides inserts, resting with my foot up, etc. was changing my shoes out regularly. I mean like not wearing the same pair of shoes twice in a week..... the real secret for me, though, was doing research online and finding a shoes that others had luck with who had/had plantar. unfortunately, my shoe brand style is no longer made....so the search is on again.

and what was that shoe style brand? sketchers tone-up. luckily i was able to wear these almost year round. but alas sketchers no longer makes the tone-up and nothing else in their line up is as good. so it is now onto the more expensive fit-flop. winter shoes? well, therein does lie a problem......

also, i bought 3 pairs of the shoes i selected to wear around the house and i switch those out every night.

my podiatrist has told me that my fit-flop choice has also been the right one for my osteoarthritic big toe.....

good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 weeks with no weight on your foot doesn't seem that bad vs. the rest of your life with heel spurs? I dunno.

I wear Chacos (discussed in the linked article) in the summer (although I don't have foot issues, the arch support is great for lower back problems):
http://plantarfasciitis.hubpages.com/hub/How-do-shoes-play-a-role-in-treating-Plantar-Fasciitis

I've had great luck with these inserts that come with a 60 day money back guarantee:

http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals

I wear the green ones in my winter boots. They are amazing. They also make customs.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I have the Superfeet inserts (both the blue and the green ones) and I find the arch to be farther back on those than with any other inserts I've ever used, including the Sof Soles. Maybe I'm just oddly shaped, but this speaks to the fact that any OTC inserts truly are not the same for all people! Have you ever tried any other brands that you like?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, totally 6 weeks of suckiness is better than dealing w/this for sure! I'm just thinking how hard it will be to work w/my kiddos at preschool. Miss Missi being the crazy let's squat and go down the hall like gorillas, or play catch Miss Missi until she's about ready to stroke out..that screws up my image if I have to be boring ole Miss Missi. Sigh.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1410895014|3752026 said:
Monnie, I have the Superfeet inserts (both the blue and the green ones) and I find the arch to be farther back on those than with any other inserts I've ever used, including the Sof Soles. Maybe I'm just oddly shaped, but this speaks to the fact that any OTC inserts truly are not the same for all people! Have you ever tried any other brands that you like?

Hmm. Maybe your foot is shorter in the front (like, your arch is closer to your toes) than *most* people's? I doubt that you're oddly shaped, but your feet are probably not the same as whatever last that company used to come up with their proportions. Sorry to say I haven't tried anything else. Mine were given to me by the sales reps because I had that buying position for a couple years at the outdoors store. I know you can trim them to fit, but I guess that wouldn't affect where the arch hits you. I'm perplexed.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1410899602|3752075 said:
Dee*Jay|1410895014|3752026 said:

Hmm. Maybe your foot is shorter in the front (like, your arch is closer to your toes) than *most* people's? I doubt that you're oddly shaped, but your feet are probably not the same as whatever last that company used to come up with their proportions. Sorry to say I haven't tried anything else. Mine were given to me by the sales reps because I had that buying position for a couple years at the outdoors store. I know you can trim them to fit, but I guess that wouldn't affect where the arch hits you. I'm perplexed.

I was perplexed too because I have really small feet (I'm a US ladies size 5 and I regularly buy girls sandels in a 2 or a 3) so you would think the arch would be too far FORWARD on my foot...?

Anyway, Packrat, I LOVE the image of you "gorilla-ing" down the hall! Feel free to post a video of that right here!

ETA: Is it one foot or both? (I'm thinking it's one, but maybe I missed that part by not reading carefully enough.)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahahahaha if I had a video I'd totally post it!

The pain is mostly in my right heel. A *little* in the left, especially on long days, but the right is super duper painful. My orthaheel inserts came this afternoon so I switched them out with the ones from the podiatrist. I can feel these in my arch, and I like that. The slippers will have to be sent back for 7's b/c the 6's are super tight--hopefully they work b/c they're black and white houndstooth and incredibly freaking cute. Zappos is so awesome. If they still don't work I'll just get some plain slippers and put good inserts in them. We're going to the city to look for new fun shirts for work this weekend (and it's homecoming next weekend so I'm sooo going to cheat and get some Hawkeyes pajamas so I can wear them for jammie day, favorite team day and black/gold day ha!), so will be checking out those Sof Soles inserts as well.

I overpronate pretty bad too. When we were at the podiatrist, he did xrays. The tech showed us on a sample one what your foot is supposed to look like, so we'd be able to see the differences. So we look at mine and the podiatrist is like good lord it's a miracle you're able to stand upright. My arch was almost completely flat, and then those stupid spurs...JD laughs and says "You're like a big ole tom turkey, with spurs like that!"

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to mention that a lot of people hate their inserts or find them too painful because they wear them for an entire day right out of the gate. Same with Chacos. There is so much arch support that it's recommended you start off wearing them just an hour or two at a time and build up from there. Maybe this is a helpful hint for someone, maybe everyone here already knows this, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

:wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubby had inserts made by podiatrist and had cortisone injections in the bottom of his foot. It took time to heal but he is completely pain free now. Surgery would be my last option. . .

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't help with the heel spurs, but here's a partial excerpt from a very recent article in the Well column of the New York Times showing that one exercise really can help with plantar fascitis: Here it is :

Until recently, first-line treatments involved stretching and anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen or cortisone. But many scientists now believe that anti-inflammatories are unwarranted, because the condition involves little inflammation. Stretching is still commonly recommended.

But the new study, published in August in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, finds that a single exercise could be even more effective. It requires standing barefoot on the affected leg on a stair or box, with a rolled-up towel resting beneath the toes of the sore foot and the heel extending over the edge of the stair or box. The unaffected leg should hang free, bent slightly at the knee.

Then slowly raise and lower the affected heel to a count of three seconds up, two seconds at the top and three seconds down. In the study, once participants could complete 12 repetitions fairly easily, volunteers donned a backpack stuffed with books to add weight. The volunteers performed eight to 12 repetitions of the exercise every other day.

Other volunteers completed a standard plantar fasciitis stretching regimen, in which they pulled their toes toward their shins 10 times, three times a day.

After three months, those in the exercise group reported vast improvements. Their pain and disability had declined significantly.Those who did standard stretches, on the other hand, showed little improvement after three months, although, with a further nine months of stretching, most reported pain relief.

Hope this helps with the PF.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Packrat:

Patients where I worked (Mayo Clinic) had varying degrees of success with foot surgery. If it were me, I would try all the excellent suggestions above before I would put my feet under the knife due to the mostly low success rate/patient satisfaction for foot surgeries.

I don't know where you live, but if you can get yourself to a major surgeon/facility for the foot surgery, it would be well worth it. Not all surgeons are created equal and not all facilities are outstanding or excellent. Mayo Rochester is the #1 hospital/clinic in the nation this year, Cleveland Clinic is also excellent. There are ortho/foot surgeons who have their own surgical facilities that are excellent. Do some Google searches and see who/where in your region is the best. You want board certified for sure, don't consider anyone who is not.

PF is awful, mine comes and goes depending on my shoewear and activity level. Good luck!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this just showed up in one of my daily health memos:

http://www.householdmagicdailytips....1&spJobID=522003757&spReportId=NTIyMDAzNzU3S0

3 Stretches to Ease Plantar Fasciitis

Your feet have good reason to get sore, especially if you hit the pavement all day in not-so-supportive shoes. If it seems like your feet (or one foot) just won't stop aching (in the heel area, or between the ball of your foot and your heel), you may have plantar fasciitis, when the plantar fascia (the ligament connecting your heel and the front of your foot) is yearning for relief! Here’s what to do…

If it's a dull foot ache, you may be able to relieve the pain with some good shoes...some rest…and some stretches. You can purchase shoe inserts (insoles that support your arches) over the counter, or ask your podiatrist what inserts would work best for your feet.

Our favorite stretches: Here are three stretches from two renowned foot experts who are well-acquainted with plantar fasciitis...

Stretch #1: Rest the affected foot on the thigh (or knee, if that's as far as you can reach) of your other leg...grip the base of the toes...and pull the toes toward the shin until you feel a stretch. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat twice daily. This technique works to relieve tension and tautness in the plantar fascia.

Source for Stretch #1: Stuart J. Mogul, DPM, attending physician, Lenox Hill Hospital and podiatric surgeon in private practice, both in New York City. He is author of Perfect Feet (Stewart, Tabori and Chang).

Stretch #2: Lace your fingers between each toe (imagine holding hands with your foot)…or use physical toe-separator products, such as pedicure toe dividers (available at drugstores) or gel-filled YogaToes (available from YogaPro.com, 877- 964-2776). Open your toes with your fingers or with the separators for five to 30 minutes at least five days per week.

Caution: People with rigid bunions should not use YogaToes—they may strain the ligaments and cause additional pain.

Stretch #3: If you are a runner or a jogger, you’re probably familiar with this stretch—take one large step forward and bend your forward knee. Press the heel of the rear, straight leg onto the floor. Hold for 10 to 30 seconds, then switch leg positions. For added stretch, bend the rear knee as well. Perform this stretch twice daily on a regular basis.

Important: If your foot problems seriously affect your ability to walk or don't heal or improve after three weeks of home care, see a podiatrist.

Source for Stretches #2 and #3: Sherri Greene, DPM. She has practiced conventional and holistic podiatric medicine in New York City for more than 15 years. Her treatment modalities include reflexology, herbal medicine and essential oils. DrSherriGreene.com

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the stretches MZ!

Have an appt w/a different podiatrist November 6th. Holy moly is it hard to get time to see specialists when they only come to town a couple times a month!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi packrat, sorry you are dealing with this and I agree with the others who warn against surgery except for a last ditch effort. Do everything/anything you can before undergoing surgery. You have been given excellent exercises and stretch often. The surgeries are often not successful with long recovery times to boot. Good luck and I hope by the time your podiatry appointment comes around you are doing much better!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Had to try about five different places on the list of stores but I found one pair of Sofsoles inserts to try. The only ones I could find are the plantar fasciitis ones that aren't the full length size. They have some sort of gel circle thing in the heel, which I hope feels good b/c great balls of fire is my heel hurting today.

I've got the Superfeet page up that Monnie recommended and am looking at Chaco's too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ones that were made for my husband were based on where he needed the pressure alleviated (so the healing could take place) and where he needed to be putting most of his weight. Nothing off the shelf will do this like something specially made for your feet and problem. Hope the new doctor is able to give you some relief!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
So sorry, PR. Yes, very painful!

Spurs & p.f. here, too. I've had my heels injected about 10 times. They have settled down but it took a few, very painful, years. I like my Spenco, over the counter, hard arch supports almost as much, sometimes more than my big money custom orthotics.

Do you work on your feet, btw? Were you a runner?

Never go barefoot. Don't keep your shoes around for too long as you loose the support/padding in them long before they start to look bad. I find Sketchers shape ups the best. Careful of Dansko clogs as many people turn an ankle/fall in them eventually. (I tossed mine after that.)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1411267555|3754617 said:
Now that I see the Superfeet, they had those in a couple places I looked at today but didn't have the right size/style, or they only carried mens. Figures.

Did some browsing..anyone ever heard of these? They look pretty good. https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/abeo_3d3.htm

Packie, do you mean they only had men's sizes? Superfeet are unisex, but yeah, some stores probably only carry (stupidly) the larger sizes. Since they do honor (or used to) a 60 day, money back guarantee, could you order a set online and try them? I'm still in touch with the store I used to work for; message me and I can try to get you more info/figure something out so we can get you some to try. :))

I've heard of the walkingco ones you linked. Never tried them, don't know much about them. Expensive as h*ll though! :shock:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't want to shell out $300+ for custom, but if it keeps me from pain and surgery, then I'll suck it up. If I can find store bought ones cheaper that do it, I'll go that route.

Yeah, they had like size 11-13. I did pull them out and stand on them anyway, to try and situate my arch and see how they felt. What's funny is that the inserts I got from the podiatrist, I can barely feel them under my arch, so I don't see how they can be supporting me and keeping me from overpronating. The orthaheel flip flops I can feel.

I am on my feet a lot, and have been since...well, ever. Yard work growing up, and I worked in factories on my feet for many years. Those were line-work jobs, the kind where you get paid the faster you go. I got paid very well...but it sure does a number on your feet standing non stop for 8 hours a day. And I was young, never thought about what would happen 20 years down the road.

I used to exercise a lot, and I've always loved to walk. When JD was getting ready to go to the academy, he had to take up running, so I started going w/him..I can't "run", so I did a walk/jog, three miles a day about 5 days a week for a few months. Never once had a problem that was like holy crap I can't deal with this-just now and again twinges in my heel. We got a treadmill b/c when weather hits, the trail isn't useable. It took like...one, maybe two times, of me using the tread mill and that was it. I don't know if I was pounding my feet, like stomping on the dumb thing or what the hell I was doing, but good *night* did my feet hurt. So, somehow I exacerbated it beyond what I'd been able to deal with for years. The podiatrist said the spurs were insanely large so I'd been "growing" them for many many years, I just managed to do some more damage I guess.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, after I tore my ACL and talked to the doc about running he was adamant that I not run (or even walk) on a treadmill. He said they are really bad for you; apparently the overly-resilient tread causes a host of problems for people in their feet, ankles, knees and hips.

Have you tried any of the OTC orthotics yet? Also (and I don't think this has been covered above), you should take an anti-inflammatory consistently for several days, even a little while after you feel better. And rolling a frozen bottle of water really does help.

Hope you are doing better soon!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an old treadmill from my gramma that I used for a long time and never had a lick of problems-but then we got a new one from Scheel's b/c gramma's was making all kinds of weird noises. So I dunno if there was something in the differences between the old and worn one with the new one? I've not been on it since.

I do have some OTC inserts. I've gotten a couple different ones from like Target/Walmart, they're soft ones, and one pair from a shoe store that is hard. That one I had to stand on a thing and then it "read" my stance and it was based on that. Then the ones from the podiatrist, the 3/4 ones from Orthaheel that I got last week and now the 3/4 pair of Sofsoles that I've not tried yet. It's been hot so I've been wearing my Orthaheel flip flops!

I was taking 2 Aleve two and three times a day for about a week and wondered if it would be bad for my liver or anything, so I quit. Should probably start again.

Maybe I need to get an exercise bike instead.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results