shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthcare Exchange/Marketplace Discussion

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
No wonder you premiums looked better than mine here in TAX LAND - California.

If this health deal really goes down like this and my husband loses his job for any reason - we are so out of here

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread to see if anyone's been able to get through? Yes, my guess is "no," no, my intent is not to incite drama. We seemed to have a discussion free of crazy several weeks ago, hopefully we can continue if anyone's interested.

My experience has been that I still haven't been able to get on the healthcare.gov site to try to figure things out for myself and my health insurance needs. I am really trying to be patient. I would sincerely like to see this system work if possible.

I WAS upset by an article I found online earlier tonight: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administration-knew-millions-wouldn-t-be-able-to-keep-insurance--report-222249311.html I'm not sure how skewed it is. But it's just upsetting to think that people who actually HAD insurance they were relatively happy with have had their plans cancelled because the plans don't comply with the ACA.

Ella, I hope it's ok that I've posted any of this. If not, I understand if you need to remove my post and/or this thread. I'm hopeful we can continue an intelligent discussion without getting off topic. Thank you for allowing it, if you do.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I have been using my state-operated exchange with good results. Currently, it costs me $450 for single coverage on a high deductible health plan (HDHP). The rates I am getting from Minnesota's exchange, which is called MNsure (so clever), are quite a bit cheaper for both family coverage and single coverage, like $350 for family and $155 for single, with the same deductible we have currently. Minnesota reportedly has the lowest premium rates of all the state exchanges. I am super excited that I can use my flexible benefit dollars at work for my retirement savings instead of costly health insurance (I'm in some weird pool of mostly older state/county workers, so our rates seem high to me). I don't know what DH's employer options will be this year, but it is likely he'll keep his single coverage at work and I'll go on a MNsure plan. Only bummer is that I wasn't able to make an account online due to the site using the same error-riddled system as the federal exchange, but I mailed in a one-page form and a copy of my driver's license, and I got an account within a week.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My state has its own exchange so I have to use that. I've been following the troubles with healthcare.gov. It's pretty amazing that with all the time and money being thrown at this site it still isn't working correctly.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1383016331|3546538 said:
Bumping this thread to see if anyone's been able to get through? Yes, my guess is "no," no, my intent is not to incite drama. We seemed to have a discussion free of crazy several weeks ago, hopefully we can continue if anyone's interested.

My experience has been that I still haven't been able to get on the healthcare.gov site to try to figure things out for myself and my health insurance needs. I am really trying to be patient. I would sincerely like to see this system work if possible.

I WAS upset by an article I found online earlier tonight: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administration-knew-millions-wouldn-t-be-able-to-keep-insurance--report-222249311.html I'm not sure how skewed it is. But it's just upsetting to think that people who actually HAD insurance they were relatively happy with have had their plans cancelled because the plans don't comply with the ACA.

Ella, I hope it's ok that I've posted any of this. If not, I understand if you need to remove my post and/or this thread. I'm hopeful we can continue an intelligent discussion without getting off topic. Thank you for allowing it, if you do.

If you can get past the language and snark, not a bad explanation of some of the policy cancellations.
http://wonkette.com/532898/obamas-you-can-keep-your-plan-failed-to-anticipate-how-much-americans-love-cheap-crappy-plans-that-cover-nothing#pKS3I7U0sbQGULvO.01

The "not complying with the ACA" thing is actually designed to set a minimum standard and get rid of "junk insurance" that actually covers little and doesn't deserve to be called insurance, and deceptive practices like having a deductible that does not count towards one's yearly out of pocket expense.

And if you are really interested in the insurance, I'm sure there are ways of availing yourself of it other than through a website. Everyone acts as if the ACA IS the website, and will live or die by that website, which it won't. It's even a bit ironic actually, because many of those most desperately in need of the coverage can't afford the computer or the internet access.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a mess... :rolleyes: :knockout:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the health insurance companies had until 12/31/2014 to comply with the ACA.
they chose not to and sent the letters blaming the ACA.
strictly a business decision on their part.
but then they are in business to do business and make $.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results