shape
carat
color
clarity

Having second thoughts?!?!?! No way....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RaeAnn

Rough_Rock
I think I''m going to have to turn in my membership card to the girl club... Please, if I''m crazy, tell me! lol... And if this is the wrong place for this, I apologize.

Last week, my DF ordered my e-ring from DCD, it''s the 1ct stone that I always (thought I) wanted, in a beautiful platinum setting, and now we''re waiting until the middle of next week for it to arrive. It wasn''t cheap, but it wasn''t hideously expensive either, it was a little over a month of his net salary, maybe a month and a half. We are both white-collar professionals (I''m an engineer, he''s in IT), our only debt is our mortgage, we''re able to save money on a regular basis, and he paid for the ring with cash....but I''m sitting here with this nagging guilt that maybe I didn''t **need** the 1ct stone, maybe 3/4-7/8ct would have been okay, or maybe my cut standards were too high, maybe we could have gotten by for $1000-$1500 less than what we did (to us, that''s one vacation)....

There''s a part of me that says that I most definitely deserve (I''m not ready to debate the merits of "deserve" yet--that''s a whole other issue) a carat--we''ve been together for seven years, since our early 20''s, and I''ve waited a LONG time for this proposal (and he did a bang-up job too, even without a ring). 1ct isn''t far off of what my girlfriends have (it depends on when they got engaged, those who were engaged before finishing college have smaller diamonds than those of us who waited until our late 20''s), but it''s bigger than what my sisters have (they were all married before the age of 25, nobody had much discretionary income).

Would I regret getting a smaller stone? I''m thinking that down the road I might, but I don''t know. Right now to me a carat looks huge, but 5 years from now, I''m guessing it won''t. In the long run, will that $1000-$1500 make a difference in our lives? I''m betting not. So what''s with this guilt? Anybody else feel guilty about an expensive bauble?

I normally lead a very practical life, I''ve had the same car for seven years, we''re living in a townhome that''s no bigger than we need, I take public transportation rather than pay for parking in the city (Chicago). I grew up nudging the poverty line out in farm country and watching my mom squeeze nickels until Washington''s head popped. A gorgeous e-ring, while it fits with my life right now, completely contrasts with where I''ve come from and I guess I''m torn between what I think would be awesome and the reality of money spent.

I''ve been asking myself "Is a 1ct diamond excessive?" My DF, when posed the question, said that it is, but he thinks that diamonds in general are excessive, regardless of size. And then I found the poll, which didn''t help me a whole lot! lol...

When the ring shows up, I''m hoping that I''m absolved of all my guilt, and I hope that DF has reconciled the expense with himself (he''s a fan of a $10 silver 5mm band that I''m wearing now--it''s not that he''s cheap, but he''s extremely practical) so that I can enjoy it without worrying that it will be "too big" or "too much". Am I the only one who''s felt this way? Do I _have_ to leave the girl club now?
2.gif

Thanks for listening, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
RaeAnn, don't worry, your fear is normal. I too have a "practical" guy, who makes sense when he wants to save up for our house (apt) and wants to start having a bigger savings pot, etc...The ring itself (at any size or price) is extravagant, so get used to that idea now.

In all honesty, it totally unnecessary except that he made a big purchase, and sacrifice FOR YOU and to prove his commitment to you, based in something expensive. It's nice to have someone who is willing to forgo many other things, just to make you happy and just for your pleasure.

So as unnecessary as it is, enjoy the fact that he did it for you, and that he is so willing to get you that ring of your dreams, because those dreams and your wishes are that important to him, as is your happiness. Yes we can all be practical in life, but at what point do we enjoy life when we must calculate and reanalyze everything we do.

Where is the joy and sponteneity of life we love to have when we are always counting and recounting the pennies that don't follow us to the grave. I say a good balance of prudence and recklessness with money is healthy. Sometimes you just have to splurge to be able to enjoy the life you work so hard to finance, or else, what is the point in even making money?
9.gif

ENJOY IT!!!! and post pictures when you get it! Congrats on your lovely baby and even if it's big, sometimes that's just what the doctor orders!
2.gif
love.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
RaeAnn, here is what you say:

It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't hideously expensive either, it was a little over a month of his net salary, maybe a month and a half. We are both white-collar professionals (I'm an engineer, he's in IT), our only debt is our mortgage, we're able to save money on a regular basis, and he paid for the ring with cash...

Do NOT feel guilty about your ring! You and your DF work hard, you've waited a long time for it, and no one is going hungry so that you can have a one carat ring.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It's perfectly normal to have second thoughts about taking a big step, whether it's getting married, buying a house, moving to a new city, taking a new job, having children, going to college or grad school--and spending a lot of money on a ring is definitely one of those steps, particularly since it's tied in with getting married. I was with my husband for 7 years before we got married, and I still freaked out a little in the weeks before. So it's possible that it's not just the money that's bothering you, but the upcoming change, particularly if you're a cautious person. If that's what's going on, don't worry--freaking out at change is perfectly normal. You'll get over it and have a wonderful marriage.

To the extent that it's actually about the cost of the ring, I think you shouldn't worry too much about it. You and your fiance are obviously careful with money. Yes, this is a big expenditure, but both of you make and save money--I'm sure this expense won't impoverish you or make you have to give up anything you need, or even want, in the long run.

To the extent that it's about wearing the ring--looking at your finger and seeing a big diamond on it and thinking, "That's a lot of money spent on ME"--that's something you'll get used to. It's a shock at first, but it won't be for long.

However, having said all that, it's true that nobody NEEDS a diamond ring, and a smaller one would represent just as much love as a bigger one. If you ultimately decide don't want the 1 carat ring, there's nothing wrong with sending it back during the return period and getting a smaller one instead, or even none at all. You can still be in the girls' club, no matter how big your ring is.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hah don't feel guilty at all, gal!!

You do deserve that 1c after 7 years!
1.gif
Plus it sounds like you guys were smart about the purchase, you didn't take out a loan for it or put it on a 20% interest credit card that you know you can't pay off.

This is your engagement ring, so it should be something IMO that breaks the boundaries. Yeah sure I don't expect another 1.25c ring to fall in my lap over the next year or even 5 years, so I can enjoy what I got and not feel guilty about it.
2.gif

When you see that thing, all REASON will fly out of your mind. Diamonds are a luxury good but what's the fun of life if you can't splurge sometimes?
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you picked the optimal time to purchase your diamond as you have little debt and little responsiblity, so ENJOY your ring and don't feel the least bit guilty! Later in life things may change. If you have kids or some other expenses that come up and suck up your money, you'll find that you'll appreciate that you chose to spoil yourself a bit early on.

Please post pictures of your ring!

Michelle

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I struggled with this, too, because we too are very practical and hyper-sensitive about saving money.

A few things to remember:

1. You'll have this diamond (hopefully) for the rest of your life. Very few other things endure the years that way - cars don't, homes don't.....but your ring does.

2. It's more to you than just a pretty bauble. It is the piece of jewelry that has significant meaning to you, and it's a one-time purchase. It's special.....there will never be another "first ring"....even if you upgrade.

3. It may seem like an extravagant purchase, but it will bring you a lifetime of enjoyment. You mentioned it's the equivalent of a vacation for you, but I know people for whom *vacations* are extravagant. There's no point in working hard if you cannot enjoy some of the fruits of your labor. Save for the future, yes, but don't forget to live in the present as well.

It sounds as though you were very conscious and contemplative about the money being spent during the process, and you can afford the expense. Given all those things, there is just no reason to feel guilty. Feel blessed that you are in a position to have such a choice, and rejoice in your beautiful meaningful ring.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
It's called "buyer's remorse."
9.gif
Quite common with any large purchase.

It sounds to me like you can afford that diamond. As your fiance says, diamonds are a luxury product--they're not supposed to be sensible purchases.

Just enjoy it.
2.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
The consensus in the girls club is right.
1.gif
It's even a very practical ring, since it's bigger than what you thought was necessary and saves you from thinking about upgrading for awhile. I think you both did a good job. Enjoy the ring and everything that it represents. Oh yes, and show us how stunning it is by posting pictures.
3.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Girlfriend - get back into the club & work through your guilt. It's normal & honorable. You will love it!

If this frugal person can work through the guilt of my ring, this too will pass for you. ENJOY!

Cookiedough

Rough_Rock
It's ok to enjoy such an "extragance". You don't always have to think of everything in terms of "practical". Live, Love, Laugh.

PMR

Rough_Rock
Hey RaeAnn,

I am about to make a large purchase on a 2 ct. G color ideal cut diamond. I have been married 19 years and this is for my 40th. Like LawGem said, this is buyer's remorse and I have experienced it on many occasions when I have made a purchase that is for myself and not the family or the house. I am also starting to experience it again with buying this diamond, but I know I will get over it since I have gone through it before. At first my husband was floored with how expensive a diamond could be and why I would want to spend that much money on a diamond, but he realizes that it makes me happy and that I have sacrificed in the past for the kids and house, etc. and he has accepted it. I think he is actually looking forward to seeing the diamond.

In the next few years you and your husband-to-be will be spending money on a house, decorating, vacationing and then kids. It sounds like a perfect time to purchase your diamond and you deserve it. Your buyer's remorse will be short-lived I guarantee it! Enjoy!
1.gif

RaeAnn

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! After reading all of your responses, I feel MUCH better today! This is a one-time purchase, not a lifestyle change after all, and it's okay to have something nice rather than something totally rationalized and practical. My car is practical. Our townhouse is practical. Our lifestyle is practical, why DO we work so hard if we can't enjoy a little on occasion?

And to assuage my guilt, he's getting an "engagement" bicycle, he's got his eye on a Gary Fisher mountain bike with 29" wheels. He wants it, his birthday is coming, and it's something that fits his criteria--29" wheels (bigger than normal) and a disc brake are completely practical.
2.gif
While his bike won't have the longevity or symbolism of my e-ring, it also is about 1/4 the cost!

And never fear--once I have that sparkly on my finger, I'll be taking pictures of it to post for you all to see! I love ring pictures too....

Thanks everybody!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Rae Ann,
What a great post - I can totally relate to what you are saying. Another vote here for "Hooray for you!" and I hope you enjoy the ring (I bet you will).

I started off 3 months ago super-practical ("let's get matching wedding bands, honey").
Bless his heart, he really wants me to have a diamond ring. So, OK, I told him I hate surprises, so let's shop together. (maybe I am a control freak? hmmm, just maybe)

So, OK, this is what 'they' mean when 'they' say that buying an engagement ring is a very emotional experience.

So for some weird reason I just keep resisting what he wants to give me - a 1 carat solitaire in a semi-bezel setting. (By the way I do love the look he has chosen)
Last weekend we went ring shopping, I tried on a 3/4 carat in a Tiffany-style solitaire and tried to convince him "this is good enough, isn't it?"
Then I get secretly relieved when he says, 'nah I think the bigger stone looks better'.
Honestly i am not trying to play head games, I am just kinda freaking out on the whole thing.

And to top it off, we agreed to do the ring "sometime in 2004". It is only March, and I simply CANNOT wait.
I am trying to play it cool.
Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results