carat
color
clarity

Have you seen any good movies lately?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone recommend a good movie?

Preferably one that is non-violent, not too contrived and probably not a comedy. Just a nice story about life or family.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's becoming more difficult to find non-violent movies, it seems. We tend to watch "older" movies when I need a nice family film.

One out at Redbox that I saw a while back that's cute is The Odd Life of Timothy Green. It's a Disney film, but I went to the theater by myself just to get a couple hour break (and I like Jennifer Garner, so I go to most of her films) and it was a nice story.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watch mostly old movies or documentaries. So many of the new ones are super violent or too political or too sex filled. The nice family movies we've seen are the old ones from the 90s or so.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a new film as such, however, The Kids Are Alright springs to mind, as it was shown on TV recently.

IMHO, one of the best films about life and family has got to be It's A Wonderful Life, one of my top 3 favourite films of all time, and it is usually being shown this time of the year.

DK :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was NOT impressed with "gravity".

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I've heard great things about Gravity and Captain Phillips!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am with you on wanting to see nice family movies. I can't think of any I have seen lately. My daughter and I went to see Epic a few months ago. It was a cute movie but computer animated.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the only thing I can suggest is Despicable Me 2.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1384759009|3558333 said:

Yep! Despicable Me is a good one. Stardust is also very good. Casablanca is a great classic that might fit, and Amelie and Chocolat. A Serious Man is very good, and not particularly violet, sex filled, or a comedy, but I wouldn't call it a 'nice family movie' or anything like that.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure that most of these would be considered family films, but they're not violent. Some of these are pretty old -- not sure if that matters...

Big Miracle (Drew Barrymore and John Krasinski)
Promised Land (Matt Damon and John Krasinski) -- fairly new
Parental Guidance (Billy Crystal and Bette Midler) -- fairly new
42 (I haven't seen it yet but I heard it's a great movie)
The Way, Way Back -- fairly new
We Bought a Zoo (Matt Damon) -- fairly new
The Pursuit of Happyness (Will Smith)
The Blind Side (Sandra Bullock)
Remember the Titans (Denzel Washington)
Billy Elliot
The Holiday
October Sky (Jake Gyllenhaall and Laura Dern)
Miracle
Big (Tom Hanks)
Bend it Like Beckham
About a Boy (Hugh Grant)
Serendipity (John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale)
Groundhog Day (Bill Murray and Andi Macdowell)
Under the Tuscan Sun (Diane Lane)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The Pursuit of Happyness is a good one.
I really enjoyed The Bucket List.
Secretariat or Sea Biscuit
I've always loved Babe
Soul Surfer! It is about the girl who surfed, had her arm bitten off by a shark, but she came back and still competed and won in competitive surfing.
The Blindside. I love this movie.
BedTime Stories
If you all haven't watched The Neverending Story it is a must watch!
Also The Last Unicorn
The Polar Express around Christmas
Mr. Poppers Penguins
Finding Neverland - Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet. It is the most beautiful story about the writer of Peter Pan and how he found his inspiration. I could watch it over and over.
My Neighbor Totoro
Brave
How to Train Your Dragon
Monsters Inc
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Hook!
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I recently watched Whip it which I enjoyed more than I thought I would!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1384765603|3558351 said:

Yep! Despicable Me is a good one. Stardust is also very good. Casablanca is a great classic that might fit, and Amelie and Chocolat. A Serious Man is very good, and not particularly violet, sex filled, or a comedy, but I wouldn't call it a 'nice family movie' or anything like that.

I loved A Serious Man......but it really is a very heavy/dark/serious film.....as only the Coen Brothers can do. I even have a framed poster for that movie!

great film out last year that I do think is more family oriented but perhaps not: Moonrise Kingdom.
excellent film but given what the OP wrote, I think she should watch it and/or read more about it prior to family viewing.
I LOVE THIS FILM!

Midnight in Paris if you haven't seen it yet is I think family suitable.

i'm sure there are websites that promote "family friendly" films that would meet her criteria.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Still want to see this!!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1384794334|3558511 said:

I loved A Serious Man......but it really is a very heavy/dark/serious film.....as only the Coen Brothers can do. I even have a framed poster for that movie!

great film out last year that I do think is more family oriented but perhaps not: Moonrise Kingdom.
excellent film but given what the OP wrote, I think she should watch it and/or read more about it prior to family viewing.
I LOVE THIS FILM!

i'm sure there are websites that promote "family friendly" films that would meet her criteria.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I appreciate it! I'm going to go thru and make a list. I started looking up all of the films, but will need to catch up on researching them later. I think I will watch"The Kids are Alright" first. I was going to last night, but need to figure out how to link netflix to the tv! :rodent:

I did want to clarify one thing -- I didn't necessarily want a family film (though I will look those up too, and think there are more than I few to add to my list), but I was thinking more a story about a family, as opposed to a romance, for example. I was specifically thinking of this film, which I quite liked, and which I consider to be a story about a family. Just a simple story. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0836700/

Does that change your recs for me, MZ? I was sad to see you only had one for me!!

livinginsg

Shiny_Rock
Billy Elliot and October Sky are really good ones! Try Golden Compass, absolutely entertaining for the whole family.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"The Way Way Back" was my favorite movie this summer. It's not really about a family, but rather about two families trying to blend (divorced mom with teenage son and divorced dad with teenage daughter). Steve Carell plays the divorced dad and he's NOT FUNNY at all - quite a departure for him!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
This won't fall under your requested description but Dallas Buyers Club was AMAZING.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Perks of Being a Wallflower was very good.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you mean at home or at the theater? I loved Midnight in Paris (for rental). :wavey:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good question: theater or Netflix/rental?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I LOVE THIS FILM!

doh, I should of read this thread first!!! I am glad someone else loves it too!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely Netflix! And, I guess "lately" is kind of unclear. Maybe past few - 5 years? I sort of stopped watching movies for a while there . . .

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Emproctor2986|1384819038|3558811 said:

I agree, but viewers should be forewarned that it has some issues that kids might find confusing, like minor drug use and the deep rooted abuse he is facing.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1384875029|3559170 said:

I agree, but viewers should be forewarned that it has some issues that kids might find confusing, like minor drug use and the deep rooted abuse he is facing.

Well when she said she wasn't necessarily looking for a "family" film and was considering The Kids are Alright, I based my suggestion off of that. I would likely not watch it with young children, but as an adult looking for a family driven storyline.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emproctor2986|1384875237|3559173 said:
dragonfly411|1384875029|3559170 said:

Well when she said she wasn't necessarily looking for a "family" film and was considering The Kids are Alright, I based my suggestion off of that. I would likely not watch it with young children, but as an adult looking for a family driven storyline.

Thanks, ladies. I was looking for films just for me. My daughter is almost 3, and I won't even let her watch Disney movies! She does, however, really really enjoy Curious George (so don't worry I'm not sheltering her completely!) Anyway, yeah, I haven't watched too many movies in the past, oh, 3 years it seems!

This one will go on my list! Thanks!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE THIS FILM!

I also wanted to mention. I mentioned this movie to my husband. He said he loves the Coen Brothers and has no idea how he missed this one. He watches a lot more movies that I do (but mostly history, war, etc.) But, we will definitely watch this one together.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Wrestler
Black Swan
The Butler
12 Years a Slave
The Pin
Museum Hours
The Motel Life
The World's End
Behind the Candelabra
Muscle Shoals [music doc]
In A World [surprisingly good!]
The Sapphires
The Kings of Summer
The Way Way Back
Moonrise Kingdom
Midnight in Paris
Much Ado About Nothing [Josh Whedon's version]
What Maise Knew
Mud
It's A Disaster [also surprisingly good!]
In The House [French w/subtitles and very good]
Little Miss Sunshine
Warm Bodies
Invictus

some I've seen more than once.
Much Ado is perhaps the best Shakespeare to screen I've ever seen.
Moonrise Kingdom and Midnight in Paris I've seen at least 3 times each.
highly recommend In A World.
actually, all the above are films i'd see again.

ps tell you hubby that the Coen Brothers have another new film coming out..............

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results