shape
carat
color
clarity

Have to give up my car.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sort of ranting and raving since it''s been a bad week. I had some problems with my car Friday and when I had it looked at by dad''s old friend/trusted mechanic, he said I was looking at some serious money to fix it. I am heartbroken since I can''t afford to do it. I realize in the grand scheme of problems in the world, this is a blip, but...

It''s an 1984 Lincoln Continental. My dad bought it used in 1988 and this car was like another child to him. When he bought an Explorer, he couldn''t bear to give it up so he gave it to me. I inherited my dad''s looooooooove for cars and I loved having this car. I grew up with big cars so it was great for me. Fabulous on the highway (it flies) I feel safe in it, it''s metal rather than the kind of flimsy fiberglass, don''t feel like the wind or trucks will blow me off the road. Also it''s a classic, though it needs a lot of cosmetic work. This how I learned how to work on cars- I know the ins and outs of this car, it''s personality, everything. Now I probably have to try and find someone who might want it as a restore project. Since my dad isn''t here anymore I also feel like I disappointed him by not taking as good care of the car as I should have.

Should this be this case, I will then be totally dependent on Ian to get around. Since we don''t live in the city anymore, I can''t take the T whereever I need to go. If I finally find an MT job, it has to be near the same schedule I have now so I can get a ride into and out of the city with him.

I''m upset about this and Ian doesn''t get it- thinks it''s silly to be so attached to a car. Sorry, I''ve been mental all week and this just had to top it off.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock

I''m upset about this and Ian doesn''t get it- thinks it''s silly to be so attached to a car. Sorry, I''ve been mental all week and this just had to top it off.
It''s not "a car". It''s your dad''s car/baby, and one that he loved. I''m silly with everything that my dad has given me; can''t get rid of any of it, no matter how small. I completely understand.
1.gif
Total daddy''s girl here.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I certainly was a daddy''s girl. Not spoiled but always with him. I know it would be for the best. An old car takes so much upkeep, but still it''s so hard.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry. Hugs. I understand how you feel; I am a huge creature of habit so I understand how that feels when things change and a piece of you changes or is different.

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
I think my Dad had that same car! That car to me still says "American Luxury" car. He finally got rid of it a few years back. He actually owned an auto shop so was able to keep it in good shape, but after he retired it became too expensive to keep up.

I agree it''s a bummer you can''t keep it up - another 20 years and it''ll probably be a classic. Modern cars are really much, much better in terms of handling and fuel economy, though. But I agree, there''s nothing quite like those old Lincolns anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results