shape
carat
color
clarity

Have a problem in the neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I have a neighbor (three houses down) who is mid to late 50s. She is obese and not in the best of health. About a year ago, she brought a new addition to her family. She already had two dogs that look like lab mixes that run loose (getting into garbage, using yards for toilets) I know that this is what dogs do when they run loose; but "good grief. what did they eat?" has been exclaimed more than once while attempting to clean up my yard. My kids call DH the poopie patrol. My three-year old will stand yelling, "POOP, Daddy, POOP," until it has been duly disposed of.

Now, the problem. Her new addition is a fully grown bull mastiff. The first time I met him he was in MY yard trying to check out my at the time 4-year old. When my husband stepped between them, the dog became very aggressive. Now my DH does not scare easy, but that dog managed it. I ran in the house and called the police, grabbed a pistol, and then took it to my husband. I then jumped into the van and drove to the lady''s house and told her to get her dog.

In the meantime, the dog took off. My DH loves dogs as much as I do, and was unwilling to shoot unless he made a move against our son. The police came, took a statement, and went to talk to the woman.

In the intervening year, I have learned much about this dog. I have also learned a lot about the policing ability of our town. Come to find out, the woman was dogsitting for the FIRE CHIEF while he had his new house built. In the three months he was visiting her, he went after me (almost got me too), pinned the mail lady (fill in) against my neighbor''s door, gone after the regular mail lady (after dragging a rhododendron bush out of the ground to go after her), and just generally menaced the neighborhood. These incidents all had two things in common: Same dog; no police came when they were called. We called them after each incident, and no one ever responded. They suggested that we call the dog officer. We did. He had the same response time as the rest of them. I''m still waiting.

Now, the dog goes away for a couple of months. Fire Chief now decides that he doesn''t want the dog. (hmmm) The lady who could not keep two dogs in now has three that run loose. One day about three months ago, the dog cruises through my yard (thought he was gone) while my MIL is there with my 3-year old neph, 10-year old niece, and my two sons. We were caught completely flat footed. You try rounding up 4 terrified children with a dog who was taller than all of them but my niece is running through the midst of them!!!
32.gif
This time my MIL called the police. They actually responded, promised to talk to the woman, said the dog officer is really busy, and drove off down the street to visit the woman. Dog disappears.

Whew, sigh of relief, or was it? Yup, dog is back, and he is still running loose. I never know when this dog is just going to appear around the corner of my house. I saw him for the first time 4 nights ago. He caught me outside away from the door and safety of my house. I just tried to make no moves that he would consider to be scary in the dark. I told him in a stern voice to go home. He walked away a couple of times, and I managed to make it into my house. Did I call the police? Why? Two days ago this dog pinned a little 9-year old boy against my neighbor''s front door. Poor baby was scared to death. Michelle called the police, and yes, you guessed it, they did not come.
29.gif
He caught me again last night when I had my llaso apso (sp) outside for his last time. He was just sitting at my feet in the dark while I was staring at the sky. He jumps up and runs out to the street, and starts to chase that dog!! OMG, I nearly died of heart failure. He ran big boy right past my yard, and then came back to me for a cookie. He got one too.

I am at my wits end with this situation and would really appreciate any suggestions.

Shay

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 options:

SSS

shoot shovel shut up.

Anti-freeze accidently left out will also do the trick.

large can of bear strenth pepper spray use the whole thing.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2005 8:16:31 AM
Author: strmrdr
3 options:

SSS

shoot shovel shut up.

Okay, that takes care of the dog officer, now what about the dog?
9.gif
kidding. Just really frustrated.

Shay

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if you expect the .gov to fix your problems your going to be waiting a long long long time.
Just look what happened to the sheeple in N.O. who relied on the .gov to help them.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Geez! What a tough situation!

Since going to the local authorities hasn''t worked, what about going to your local newspaper? Name names. I realize that may be a bit extreme, but short of moving, I''m not sure you have any other options!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Formal complaint in writing documenting activities & have the neighbors sign it. A dog running around on it''s own accord is a nuisance (can live with that). Some people believe that it''s best for the dog. Those people are misguided. An agressive dog running around on it''s own accord is a hazard.

Good luck.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I love dogs, really. But when it's a safety issue. Is it legal to tranquilize an animal on your own? I'd get me a nice big tranquilizer gun ....take doggie far far away to an animal shelter where he can be evaluated and adopted (or humanely put down) ... far far away from me. Or maybe see about paying someone to come wrestle up the doggie and ship him off.. Calling the newspaper or harassing the police is also a good idea...

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might have to file a complaint with the local court or magistrate. Does your town have any laws about dogs running loose or agressive dogs? If you document each incident (videotape would be good) and file a complaint in court, the owner will get fined and either be made to confine the dog or get rid of him. Nothing makes people pay attention like a hit to the wallet.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Shay!!!! I find your tale VERY DISTURBING!!!

First let me say that I am a HUGE dog lover...in fact I usually prefer them to people.

BUT I think an AGGRESSIVE big dog (A Bull Mastiff??!!!!!!??
23.gif
) running loose in the neighborhood is tantamount to a fourlegged loaded gun running around loose!!

An animal like that could KILL a small child very quickly, with very little effort.

Please find someway to take immediate action...call the newspaper, the mayor''s office, harrass the police, threaten lawsuits, whatever it takes to get that dog off the streets immediately.

I wouldn''t let my children out the door until this situation was resolved.

widget

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
3 options:

SSS

shoot shovel shut up.

I guess shooting is an option is you are in immediate danger. Anti-freeze is cruel and a HORRIBLE way for an animal to die, please don''t even consider doing something so despicable. You better make sure if you use pepper spray that you have a good aim otherwise you may find yourself being mauled by a mean dog that is now in terrible pain.

Honestly, I don''t know what to tell you other than keep calling animal control to come pick the dog up. They are required by law to keep a record of menacing dogs and act accordingly, if they don''t then remind them of the massive lawsuit that''s coming if you or one of your children are harmed. Also threaten the neighbor with a lawsuit if the dog continues to harrass you and your family. That may prompt her to find the dog another home or have him humanely put down.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t shoot because I don''t carry a pistol on my hip. If I could get in my house, then I am safe. (no legal grounds) The only way I could safely shoot (no legal ramifications) is if he was menacing someone else and I witnessed it. Then I would be able to go that route. I don''t let my children out. I am afraid that he will kill one of them. He''s not only big enough to kill a child, he could kill me or my husband easily.

I couldn''t do antifreeze. I just love dogs too much. I would be afraid that the intended target would not be the one who drank it.

As far as pepper spray, I would probably be so scared that I would aim it the wrong way. Don''t laugh. I am the world''s biggest clutz.

I do like the lawsuit idea. I really have told my DH that if one of my children gets hurt in any way, the lawsuit against the town, the p.d., the dog officer, as well as the owner, would have to be seen to be believed. I think that tomorrow morning my DH and I should pay a visit to my neighbor. I think that I should be able to argue that creating a menacing situation that is a danger to my children (some kind of reckless disregard) is actionable. I don''t want to terrorize a lady who is not physically well, but I am sick of being afraid to let my children play outside. It doesn''t matter if I would sue beforehand (incident or injury), she just has to believe that I will.

Great ideas guys. Tell me what you think about convincing my neighbor that I mean serious business?

Shay

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
How about contacting a lawyer?
Have your lawyer draft a letter to the town police and the "owner" and "dog sitter" - this may scare them into action. - And let them know you mean business.

Don''t antifreeze a dog people! It''s the people that are the problem. My Aunt''s neighbors poisoned her beloved Airedale. It was very very sad. This was after years of feuding over an agressive German shepard, who attacked and bit. It belonged to a police officer. The authorities never responded to the calls. Unfortunately, it seems that people in positions of authority protect their own. - So let them know you mean business - and that there will be consequences.

As far as the pepper spray is concerned - I dunno.
A friend of mine is a police officer, he says that guns don''t stop people, but pepper spray makes them stop in their tracks. It''s extremely effective.
However, pepper spraying an animal could backfire. Though it''s what the mail carriers use to protect themselves from dogs - so?

Oh* I agree with whoever suggested notifying the local newspapers and tv news! This could be very effective!
Unresponsive police when children are in danger! How scandalous is that? That should make the citizens in your town MAD!!!

Goodluck! Keep us updated!

Scintillating...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh geez Shay, I feel for ya. My friend Gil who is the doc helping me with Angello has been attacked twice by the neighbor''s dog. This second attack happened last weekend. He talked to his neighbor and she keeps promising that it won''t happen again. This time he contacted the police and they documented the wounds etc... I believe he is going to get an attorney involved. Also the dog bit one of his friends too this time. I know the neighbor, I used to live in that neighborhood, but everything seems to fall on deaf ears. Very frustrating. I would keep the kids inside until this is resolved, good luck!!!!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Shay, IMO, the legal route would be the best way to go. I think that as long as you live in that neighborhood, you should be able to let your children play, or go get the mail, actually, any kind of everyday activity without having to worry about the dog coming after you or your children. You should not have to live in fear just because of your neglectful neighbor. If you have already warned her once, and nothing has been done, then you need to go staright to a lawyer. There is no reason why you should have been waiting this long for something to be done about this situation (especially after going to the police multiple times anout the same dog). Hope this helps a little. Good luck!!!
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
3 options:

SSS

shoot shovel shut up.

Are you kidding? I hope so because those statements are utterly disgusting and don't reflect too well on your character.

ETA: If a dog is about to attack a child, that's another matter entirely... The shame of it is, this is a HUMAN problem at the root--because this slovenly woman cannot and will not provide proper care and control of her pets, you have to suffer and in the end, I am sure the animals will suffer too. I suggest filing a suit against her--you don't even need a lawyer. She needs a FENCE or LEASHES. Tell her a fence will cost her a LOT less than the lawsuit she will face that will suck up every last penny she has after the dog attacks someone, especially now that there is a paper trail. This is a horrible set of circumstances...it makes me so angry--people are so irresponsible. And those animals could probably benefit from some proper discipline and training...My dogs--who are cream puffs--are NEVER off the leash when out of our fenced-in yard and I do not allow strangers to even come up and pet them... They're animals--I am 99.999999999% sure they would never hard anyone, but the consequences of even that 0.000000001% are not worth it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know sometimes I think I live in a different world.

Its perfectly legal in most states to shoot a dog thats in your yard and you even think might be a threat.
A dangerous dog is making people prisoners in there own home and your solution is a lawyer.
Well i guess you could feed the lawyer to the dog next time it comes after your loved ones but beyond that what good is a lawyer?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 12:12:21 AM

Its perfectly legal in most states to shoot a dog thats in your yard and you even think might be a threat.
A dangerous dog is making people prisoners in there own home and your solution is a lawyer.
Well i guess you could feed the lawyer to the dog next time it comes after your loved ones but beyond that what good is a lawyer?
Strmdr, read my post in its entirety--if the dog looks like he is about to attack, then any means needed to prevent that is perfectly acceptible. The safety of the child/human is tantamount to the welfare of the dog--clearly.
20.gif

But leaving poison out for the animal at night as a solution is not. It''s illegal at the very least. And you''re really not solving the problem, are you? This woman needs to be controlled first...she''ll just keep getting big, untrained, unsupervised dogs to run around the neighborhood.

I have taken people who wronged me to civil court twice and won. It can be done. The system does work some of the time.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 12:19:48 AM
Author: Jennifer5973

But leaving poison out for the animal at night as a solution is not. It's illegal at the very least.

putting it out at night would be very stupid and there are several other things that could be used also.
I spose I should have said get a hold of some industrial ********** and put it in raw hamburger and toss it to the dog.
Much less painful for the animal but much more illegal.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 12:43:04 AM

But leaving poison out for the animal at night as a solution is not. It's illegal at the very least.

putting it out at night would be very stupid and there are several other things that could be used also.
I spose I should have said get a hold of some industrial ********** and put it in raw hamburger and toss it to the dog.
You win; I'm done with this embarrassing discussion. I really don't have the stomach for you or your posts in this thread.

I am sure Shay will make the best decision for her and her family and deal with its consequences. Good luck, Shay--I am sorry there is no easy solution to this type of problem.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fence your yard and bring a civil suit to cover not only the cost of building it but punitive damages. The woman is a home owner, so she has assets that can be seized. You will win a civil suit, even if you cannot prevail against the cronyism in your local government. I hate Storm's ideas because they punish the dog instead of the owner. I'm with you, Shay, that one of Storm's (vicious) ideas would be better used on the animal control officer!

PS-Grab a videocamera instead of a gun and document the animal on your property. Repeat as necessary until the fence is built. Also be sure there is a paper trail of the complaints you are making to police and the animal control officer and that they have gone unanswered. After any call that goes unanswered, shoot off a letter with a copy to file. Start now, naming the dates of the previous incidents you enumerated above if possible. If you do not remember the exact dates, be as specific as possible. For instance, "In August I called the police three times, once on a Monday when my husband was at work, once on a Saturday when my husband was home...blah blah blah".

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You do.

You would make an interesting candidate for psychoanalysis. You always look for a solution that involves individual violent action against what you perceive as evil. You don''t have much faith in other people, although I know you have faith in God. It makes me want to dig deeper.

Deb ;-)

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2005 4:42:39 PM
Author: kaleigh
Oh geez Shay, I feel for ya. My friend Gil who is the doc helping me with Angello has been attacked twice by the neighbor''s dog. This second attack happened last weekend. He talked to his neighbor and she keeps promising that it won''t happen again. This time he contacted the police and they documented the wounds etc... I believe he is going to get an attorney involved. Also the dog bit one of his friends too this time. I know the neighbor, I used to live in that neighborhood, but everything seems to fall on deaf ears. Very frustrating. I would keep the kids inside until this is resolved, good luck!!!!

Oh my lord, is he all right? I have been attacked. It''s not fun at all.

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 6:46:03 AM
Author: AGBF

Fence your yard and bring a civil suit to cover not only the cost of building it but punitive damages. The woman is a home owner, so she has assets that can be seized. You will win a civil suit, even if you cannot prevail against the cronyism in your local government. I hate Storm''s ideas because they punish the dog instead of the owner. I''m with you, Shay, that one of Storm''s (vicious) ideas would be better used on the animal control officer!

PS-Grab a videocamera instead of a gun and document the animal on your property. Repeat as necessary until the fence is built. Also be sure there is a paper trail of the complaints you are making to police and the animal control officer and that they have gone unanswered. After any call that goes unanswered, shoot off a letter with a copy to file. Start now, naming the dates of the previous incidents you enumerated above if possible. If you do not remember the exact dates, be as specific as possible. For instance, ''In August I called the police three times, once on a Monday when my husband was at work, once on a Saturday when my husband was home...blah blah blah''.

Deb
Great idea, Deb. I believe I will be calling around to fencing companies for estimates. I will take a written one to her, and send a separate copy to the town. I believe that both are equally culpable in this situation. When duly appointed officials (droopy the dog officer) don''t take action, then the town should have to share a slice of that pie. Maybe that will be the wake-up call she needs or the town needs to take action about this dog. If not, hello fence.

Shay

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

But leaving poison out for the animal at night as a solution is not. It''s illegal at the very least.

STMDR,

Please tell me you are joking!! Poisoning an animal is UTTERLY DISPICABLE!! Hopefully those pesky neighborhood children have been warned not to trick or treat at your house!! Sheesh-- unbelievable!! I don''t know of any poison that will stop a dog in it''s tracks if it is menacing you. I can understand your comment to shoot the dog but only if she is in immediate danger but to SEEK OUT the dog to kill is NOT the right thing to do. We are talking about an animal not a human being who would maliciously try to threaten someone. Don''t assign human emotions or intent to a dog. It isn''t the same thing. The real problem lies with the OWNER. Would you suggest that Shay send her some brownies laced with arsenic?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Very disturbing indeed. To think nothing of ending a life - missing that brad pitt chip I think
20.gif

It''s a very tough situation shay...You love animals but you have to look out for the safety of your family as #1. It makes me so sad that this poor animal is out on the streets fending for himself and at the same time, he has aggression issues and could be endangering people...It really stinks that you have to go to the trouble of fencing in your yard but that sounds like a good plan...Hey- do those invisible fences work?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

But leaving poison out for the animal at night as a solution is not. It''s illegal at the very least.

If I have guessed correctly at what poison you are referring to - let me assure you that any animal or person who ingests it will not have a " less painful" death but will suffer agonies and convulsions. I can understand that you would not want to hear of this animal hurting anyone understandably, but lacing ground beef with poison is a wicked thing to do. Also then the ASPCA will get involved and you may find yourself in court on cruelty charges regardless of the dog''s behaviour, most poisons are readily detectable by any vet and a simple test can confirm their presence and levels in the body. I can understand the fear and frustration this dog is causing - believe me - but poisoning it is NOT a solution.
38.gif
38.gif
Shame on the authorities for not doing more to resolve this situation.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2005 9:40:52 AM
Author: moremoremore
Hey- do those invisible fences work?

They work (as far as they work) to control an animal wearing a collar that gives him an electrical jolt when he crosses the barrier. Even if someone succeeded in "belling the cat" (the bull mastiff) his owner would probably remove the collar. The electrical fence only works (as far as it does) when an owner wants to keep his pet within certain confines.

My opinion is that a bright enough dog (like Biscuit) will never want to be shocked after one shock and will avoid an area carefully if he knows it is protected. Biscuit does not enter our living room anymore. The one shock to him nearly killed me, however.

On the other hand, Biscuit has no need[/b] to go into our living room.

The Golden Retriever across the street went through the electric fence to chase a deer. When the temptation is too strong, the dog doesn't think.

Deb

PS-I found I wasn't the only dog owner about to use an electric fence who went around testing the shock on herself before doing it to the dog! My cousin's wife, a clinical psychologist, tested hers on herself. It was still harrowing to do to Biscuit. I think of an electric fence as a last resort to save an animal from traffic when nothing else can work.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gil''s friend is fine, but she got bit right in the behind and it was painful and a little embarassing to have to show her wound to the police if ya know what I mean.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2005 11:03:29 AM
Author: kaleigh
Gil''s friend is fine, but she got bit right in the behind and it was painful and a little embarassing to have to show her wound to the police if ya know what I mean.
I''d like a smaller tushy but that''s not the way I''d go about it.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess no one here has worked on a farm with livestock where any animal that would threatened or messed with the people or livestock was delt with.
Usualy a bullet in the head.
Sounds cold hearted but when it comes down to human life vs a dogs life the dog loses every time in my book.
Dogs are not humans and any that has shown that for any reason cant live in society without causing problems must be delt with.
Sad but a fact of life.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results