shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Potter Finished and Ready to TALK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Finally I finished the book last night... It's been hard staying away from all sorts of sites, fearing for spoiling... SO now I'm ready to talk with others who finished!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thought I''d start this in a new reply because I don''t want people to glimpse something they didn''t want to see. Okay people, what did you think?? Did you love it or hate it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it and hate it. I don''t like that Harry won based on being so lucky and on so many technicalities. An example is how the Elder wand was Draco''s and he defeated Draco. And Neville getting the Sorting Hat by pure luck to kill Nagini. But then again, Harry truly does not have the skill in order to defeat Riddle, so I''d believe him winning by his own magic skills alone.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I was a mite confused during parts of the ending, I kept saying to myself, "Okay, Harry's blood is Riddle's blood and ..." I think it's because I read until the middle of the night. I'm a sucker for a happy ending, but maaan. It was all wrapped up with a neat little bow, wasn't it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PLUS, later it was Riddle's blood was Harry's blood.

The other thing is that I had no idea that Molly was such a good duelist. It doesn't make sense. Bella has tons of experience and know a lot of good curses, yet she lost to Molly, who's basically a homemaker witch?
33.gif
Lost because of a lucky aim?

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
I really did enjoy this book- the whole part where Harry, Ron, and Hermoine were on the run seemed terribly drawn out, but I think that "alone, desperate" feeling was what JK Rowling intended the readers to feel. As for the final battle, I loved the reunion between Harry and Dumbledore, but am confused on the little helpless crying creature under the seat. I did read it quickly though, so perhaps I missed something.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Molly, I think I may be wrong, but I took that creature as being the part of Voldemort that was inside Harry? I don''t know now.

But I did sob my eyes out when Dobby died. I loved him. And when I thought Hagrid was dead? Just lost it. I actually had to read in the bathroom so FI wouldn''t see my face and ruin it for him.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so FREAKING exhausted today I could sleep standing up! Else I would have started this thread myself. Thanks Amber.

I really liked A LOT OF IT.

There were a few things that bugged me a little (I''ll get to that).

And one thing I missed completely and since John is reading it, I can''t rip the book out of his hands to figure it out.

HOW did Neville get the sword of Gryffindor at the end to chop Nagini up? He didn''t know it was had to be killed that way... did he pull it out of the (previously) flaming hat?

Okay things I didn''t like. I think she humanized Dumbledore too much. I know that in the ''dream'' sequence in the end she has Dumbledore say that he thought that it would work out... but the whole ''greater good thing'' while understandable was too Vulcan for me... like Spock in one of the first Star Trek movies. But at least Spock sacrificed himself, not a kid.

I dont'' know... and I wanted more int eh elipogue... are the Aurors? What do they DO????

Okay... got a meeting, more later.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the crying thing is Riddle. Remember that Harry and Voldy are tied together (and I recall that Voldy passed out too at the same time Harry did - both also work up at the same time. Isn''t that strange? Does it mean that if Harry stayed dead, Voldy would too?
33.gif
)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 1:03:55 PM
Author: Molly1024
I really did enjoy this book- the whole part where Harry, Ron, and Hermoine were on the run seemed terribly drawn out, but I think that ''alone, desperate'' feeling was what JK Rowling intended the readers to feel. As for the final battle, I loved the reunion between Harry and Dumbledore, but am confused on the little helpless crying creature under the seat. I did read it quickly though, so perhaps I missed something.
Ditto, too drawn out.

As for crying thing... I thought it was confusing but figured it was the part of Voldemort in Harry that was dying.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
Oh, Amber, that makes sense- thanks for clarifying. I also cried when Dobby died- he was one of my favorite characters. I thought Hagrid was dead too in the confusion of the battle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2007 1:07:13 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''m so FREAKING exhausted today I could sleep standing up! Else I would have started this thread myself. Thanks Amber.

I really liked A LOT OF IT.

There were a few things that bugged me a little (I''ll get to that).

And one thing I missed completely and since John is reading it, I can''t rip the book out of his hands to figure it out.

HOW did Neville get the sword of Gryffindor at the end to chop Nagini up? He didn''t know it was had to be killed that way... did he pull it out of the (previously) flaming hat?
Yup, I guess he pulled it out of the sorting hat that Riddle Accio''ed to his head. You''d think the hat would be burnt up??

Okay things I didn''t like. I think she humanized Dumbledore too much. I know that in the ''dream'' sequence in the end she has Dumbledore say that he thought that it would work out... but the whole ''greater good thing'' while understandable was too Vulcan for me... like Spock in one of the first Star Trek movies. But at least Spock sacrificed himself, not a kid.
Dumbledore''s story was pretty sad. It took away a lot of the mystery about him and made him so...I don''t know the right words for it. I imagined him to be above such human failings like the temptation of power.

I dont'' know... and I wanted more int eh elipogue... are the Aurors? What do they DO????

Okay... got a meeting, more later.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy-
I remember a few books ago when Harry pulled the sword out of the Sorting Hat that Dumbledore said the sword choses its master/goes to those who need it (something along those lines- correct me if I''m wrong). Before Harry went to Voldemort, he told Neville that no matter what, Nagini HAD to be killed. I guess it was convenient then that Voldy tried to burn the hat & Neville alive and instead the sword "found" Harry and Neville used it to kill the snake.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I like that Dumbledore was humanized. I think even the greatest of people have their flaws, and it makes him more relatable, more real to me.

But how sad was Snape''s story? Poor guy never caught a break, did he?

I LOVED all of it, but found the epilogue to be confusing. All those names! I''m glad that J.K. Rowling has talked more about what happens to the characters after the seventh book. It gives me a little more closure than the book provided.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the humanizing of Dumbledore. How his story seemed to change from this mystical hero into something power-hungry and just greedy really turned me off. Then towards the end, when Harry met up with him in the station, I just thought, "Good riddance" I was just so done with Dumbledore. It was like finding out Santa isn''t real!

The whole time I read I was thinking, hm.. is Neville a main character? She won''t kill him? Then when Hermione kissed Ron, I thought, oh man, this HAS to be the last for one of them- I mean, really, finding this love and then getting to keep it? Wha? Seemed very much like a contrived happy ending. Also, in the epilogue, there were so many frigging names that were used, Albus, Lily, Teddy... I got a little confused.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really sad for Snape; lost his love, and even his death was for nothing. He was never the owner of the Elder wand. He lost the most in the story, never trusted (except by Dumbledore), never respected, never loved, never appreciated until after his death. And yet, he did the most and was the bravest person (at least to me).
7.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Aloros and I were writing at the same time! Thanks for reminding me about Snape. I truly felt heartbroken for him. His great love marrying someone she claimed to dislike at the start. He knew her all those years and loved her so. Doing something that could have him killed, just to watch out for her son after she died.

It was strange how the tables turned. For almost 7 books I've despised Snape and cheered for Dumbledore. After the last book my heart broke for Snape and burned for Harry's loss of his mentor (in his mind). It was just such a shock! I actually feel bad for hating Snape all those years! At least Harry found out the truth, though. At the end where he comforted his son about Slytherin, and how the bravest person he ever knew came from there? I cried AGAIN.

And Draco?? Iiiiinteresting.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
I got mad at Aunt Petunia- she knew all these years that Lily had a friendship with Snape, and I can''t help but think things may have gone differently if Harry had known that. Maybe at one point, Harry could have learned more about his mother from Snape, seeing as how she died when Harry was a baby.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I read the Prince''s Tale, I knew my suspicion was correct. Remember in a prior book where Petunia mentioned that Lily used to hang out with that strange boy? Deep in my heart, I suspected that it was not James but Snape.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I never thought of that, Molly. All those years Petunia knew there was magic in her family (except for her), and she was just so bitter at not being "chosen" that she just hated it all. Selfish woman. Dudley sure came around, no?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I don't understand is how all of a sudden Ron knew how to speak Parseltongue.
33.gif

Yes, I was truly amazed by Dudley. Diddy-kins impressed me by how kind he was to leave a cup of tea outside for Harry.

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 1:03:42 PM
Author: Chrono
PLUS, later it was Riddle''s blood was Harry''s blood.

The other thing is that I had no idea that Molly was such a good duelist. It doesn''t make sense. Bella has tons of experience and know a lot of good curses, yet she lost to Molly, who''s basically a homemaker witch?
33.gif
Lost because of a lucky aim?

I think Molly was the one that JKR said would perform magic later in life. After all...pretty much all we''ve seen her do with her magic is cook and clean. Pretty mundane things for a witch, wouldn''t you say? Defeating Bellatrix evidently took more than a little bit of luck. I think it was her fierce love for her family that finally pushed her into using her magic for something quite extrordinary.
9.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone else have a feeling Harry would live when Lupin asked him to be Teddy''s godfather? In my mind I thought, "Ah, another Sirius."

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 1:48:14 PM
What I don''t understand is how all of a sudden Ron knew how to speak Parseltongue.
33.gif

Yes, I was truly amazed by Dudley. Diddy-kins impressed me by how kind he was to leave a cup of tea outside for Harry.

Didn''t he say he just heard what Harry said, but it took him a couple of tries to get it right?

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 1:09:23 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 7/27/2007 1:03:55 PM
I really did enjoy this book- the whole part where Harry, Ron, and Hermoine were on the run seemed terribly drawn out, but I think that ''alone, desperate'' feeling was what JK Rowling intended the readers to feel. As for the final battle, I loved the reunion between Harry and Dumbledore, but am confused on the little helpless crying creature under the seat. I did read it quickly though, so perhaps I missed something.
Ditto, too drawn out.

As for crying thing... I thought it was confusing but figured it was the part of Voldemort in Harry that was dying.

That helpless creature Harry saw when talking to Dumbledore seemed to resemble the way Voldemort looked in The Goblet of Fire, just before he managed to regenerate himself with Harry''s blood. So I took it to mean that the creature was whatever was left of Voldemort, now that the other parts of his soul that were in the destroyed horcruxes were eliminated. Since Harry and Voldemort were both apparently knocked out during that time Harry was with Dumbledore in that "limbo" place, I figure Voldemort was there, as well. It all figures IMO, because Harry''s soul was strenghtened by his selfless act of sacrifice, while Voldemort''s soul had been further weakened by his attempted murder of yet another innocent life (Harry).

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 1:21:16 PM
I was really sad for Snape; lost his love, and even his death was for nothing. He was never the owner of the Elder wand. He lost the most in the story, never trusted (except by Dumbledore), never respected, never loved, never appreciated until after his death. And yet, he did the most and was the bravest person (at least to me).
7.gif

Here, here. I was especially saddened by the way things turned out for Snape (he''s always been one of my favorite characters). Like you said, he had been dislike, mistrusted, and never appreciated during his life. Especially by Harry.

I like the fact that it was made clear that his feelings for Lily were not unreciprocated. Lily apparently cared for him, too and they had been good friends since childhood. The chapter where Harry saw Snape''s memories was probably the moist poignant chapter in the book, since we got to see a whole other side of Snape, which not only redeemed him, but made him seem like a hero.

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 1:31:42 PM
I got mad at Aunt Petunia- she knew all these years that Lily had a friendship with Snape, and I can''t help but think things may have gone differently if Harry had known that. Maybe at one point, Harry could have learned more about his mother from Snape, seeing as how she died when Harry was a baby.

I was kind of mad at Petunia for that, too. For many reasons, Petunia was the one person in Harry''s life who could have made the most difference if she''d cared to try! Not only had she mistreated Harry for his whole life, but she allowed her husband and her son to do the same. She never told Harry the truth about his parents, starting with the circumstances surrounding their deaths. What a difference that would have made in Harry''s life had he known!

I was also disappointed in her behavior when the Dursley''s and Harry finally parted ways. Harry, despite the poor treatment he''d received from these people, was trying his best to save their lives. Dudley was the only one who seemed to have come to care about Harry and appreciate him. I am glad that Dudley at least took that opportunity to let Harry know that he had someone in his family who cared. Three cheers for Dudley. Better late than never!

suzi

Shiny_Rock
What I don''t understand is how all of a sudden Ron knew how to speak Parseltongue.
33.gif

Ron didn''t know how to speak Parseltounge. He was mimicing what he''d heard Harry say when Harry used Parseltounge to open the locket. Hermione said it took him several tries to get it right.

I like how so many different people helped Harry destroy the Horcruxes. He really only destroyed one of them on his own, and he didn''t even know it at the time (Riddle''s diary). I think having it happen that way emphasized the fact that Voldemort''s theory of "power" being the most important thing, and that good and evil didn''t really exist was wrong! If Harry had defeated Voldemort on his own, it would have only emphasized Voldemort''s theory...and Harry would have won only because he had been the more powerful wizard, not because he had the power of good or right on his side. The horcruxes were destroyed by a variety of people through the virtues of loyalty, love, intuition, intelligence, courage, and valor. Those were the things that defeated Voldemort...all he had working for HIM was greed for dominance, fear, and oppression

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 1:57:06 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Did anyone else have a feeling Harry would live when Lupin asked him to be Teddy''s godfather? In my mind I thought, ''Ah, another Sirius.''

Yes, I did think the same thing! I also thought it foreshadowed Lupin''s death as well. I was suprised that Tonks died, though. That was very sad.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 2:14:35 PM
Author: sipper

33.gif

Ron didn''t know how to speak Parseltounge. He was mimicing what he''d heard Harry say when Harry used Parseltounge to open the locket. Hermione said it took him several tries to get it right.

I like how so many different people helped Harry destroy the Horcruxes. He really only destroyed one of them on his own, and he didn''t even know it at the time (Riddle''s diary). I think having it happen that way emphasized the fact that Voldemort''s theory of ''power'' being the most important thing, and that good and evil didn''t really exist was wrong! If Harry had defeated Voldemort on his own, it would have only emphasized Voldemort''s theory...and Harry would have won only because he had been the more powerful wizard, not because he had the power of good or right on his side. The horcruxes were destroyed by a variety of people through the virtues of loyalty, love, intuition, intelligence, courage, and valor. Those were the things that defeated Voldemort...all he had working for HIM was greed for dominance, fear, and oppression

The one thing that really pissed me off about Harry (almost every single book) was his unwillingness to talk to anyone. His scar hurt? Oh, just keep it inside. This is why The Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite novel. I understand his not wanting to bring anyone else into his struggle, sacrificing himself and all, but if he had just TOLD someone about the things happening to him, some things may have changed (ahem, sirius lives?). This is what enthralled me with #7, his finally accepting help, from the Weasley''s to Dumbledore''s Army.

Might I say, I am SO PROUD of Neville!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results