shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair too fine for updos? HOT BUNS!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I have really fine hair... a lot of it, but soft and fine. I have always loved the look of really pretty buns -- perfectly symmetrical, smooth, thick buns. Well, unless I wanted to tease my hair A LOT, it just wasn't happening.

I was killing time at TJ Maxx and saw one of those "as seen on TV" shelves with all the hair junk. I'd tried several "bun-makers" before, but they either didn't work or they pulled my hair out really bad -- OUCH!! ...thought I may as well gamble on another one. For only $6, why not, right?? :|

Enter HOT BUNS!! :appl: They work!! I'm not the type to post on stuff like this, but these things are AWESOME!!! :love: Perfect for those times when you are going out and don't have a lot of time... or when you hit "snooze" too many times and don't have time to wash your hair. Beautiful, chic, thick ballerina buns every time! ...that's saying a lot for someone who kinda sucks at any style other than a ponytail. :oops:

Here are a couple of pics of the first time I ever tried them (I hadn't smoothed it yet, but that only took a few seconds with some hairspray). There are two "thicknesses" -- medium and large -- for whichever size bun you'd like. This is the smaller one, and it's perfect!

Yay for Hot Buns!! :appl: :appl:

hotbuns_1.jpghotbuns_2.jpg

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice! I was wondering about those. Thanks for sharing!

Anne

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1392429582|3615604 said:
Nice! I was wondering about those. Thanks for sharing!

Anne

No problem, Anne! You try them -- they are basically foolproof! =)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got mine for $1.00 at the dollar store and I can tell you it is a bargain!
works a better when your hair is "dirty" rather than freshly washed.
there are also some great how-to videos on youtube.com as well.
I figured that for $1.00 it was worth trying...and if it didn't work, well, it would make a great cat toy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it looks amazing! My hair is too fine for good updos and I am going to have to look at this...thanks for sharing!

I love a good bun on the top of the head yanno? And I love the look my dh gets on his face when I ask if he likes my hair that way lol. He hates it but I love asking him what he thinks every time I wear it that way cause for some reason I think his answer might change haha. Maybe it will with this hot bun. :apple:

Here's a link if anyone is not familiar with this product:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctF_PyLJlmE

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I'm impressed. I have long, fine hair too and I'm pretty limited as to what I can do with it. I never war my hair up unless I pull it into a pony tail for a work out. I think that I'm going to try this. I'm not a huge fan of buns, but it is a great alternative when I'm in a hurry and it certainly looks more polished than a pony tail. Thanks for sharing.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice! Is it weird that it makes me want to grow my hair out now so I can put my hair in a bun? I've always loved the look but never been able to accomplish it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1392440191|3615683 said:
I got mine for $1.00 at the dollar store and I can tell you it is a bargain!
works a better when your hair is "dirty" rather than freshly washed.
there are also some great how-to videos on youtube.com as well.
I figured that for $1.00 it was worth trying...and if it didn't work, well, it would make a great cat toy!

Dang! That's a great deal! You're right about dirty hair being better -- when mine is "too clean" it tends to be a little to "fly-away," so I have to put a little product in it before putting it up in the Hot Buns. ;))

Cat toy... hmmm... I'll keep that in mind if my elastic ever breaks! HA! :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1392467638|3615765 said:
Wow, it looks amazing! My hair is too fine for good updos and I am going to have to look at this...thanks for sharing!

I love a good bun on the top of the head yanno? And I love the look my dh gets on his face when I ask if he likes my hair that way lol. He hates it but I love asking him what he thinks every time I wear it that way cause for some reason I think his answer might change haha. Maybe it will with this hot bun. :apple:

You should try it -- you'll love it! Thanks for sharing the video too!

It's so funny you mention the way your DH feels about buns -- mine absolutely HATES them. I don't get it... they're so cute! I'm hoping to condition my husband as well. If not, I guess he'll just not like my hair... a lot. LOL ;)) :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1392469162|3615767 said:
Wow. I'm impressed. I have long, fine hair too and I'm pretty limited as to what I can do with it. I never war my hair up unless I pull it into a pony tail for a work out. I think that I'm going to try this. I'm not a huge fan of buns, but it is a great alternative when I'm in a hurry and it certainly looks more polished than a pony tail. Thanks for sharing.

Your hair would be perfect since it's longer -- even fatter buns! oh wait... LOL :o :lol: Make sure to post a photo!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1392475056|3615786 said:
Nice! Is it weird that it makes me want to grow my hair out now so I can put my hair in a bun? I've always loved the look but never been able to accomplish it.

Not weird at all -- if anything for the fact that it saves time and still looks good! :)) I love the look too, but if I didn't use the little Hot Buns thing my bun would be so little and sad... like a little knot on my head... :blackeye:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have really thick, straight hair. Will this work for me? It never stays up in anything because it's so slick and heavy.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1392440191|3615683 said:

I love this thinking!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1392478991|3615822 said:

It's so funny you mention the way your DH feels about buns -- mine absolutely HATES them. I don't get it... they're so cute! I'm hoping to condition my husband as well. If not, I guess he'll just not like my hair... a lot. LOL ;)) :bigsmile:

LOL I think lots of men hate buns. Did you ever see the King of Queens episode where Carrie starts wearing her hair in a bun and Doug freaks out because he has his HS reunion coming up and he loves Carrie with her hair down and hates her bun with a passion. Hahaha, funny episode! If you didn't catch it and have a spare 19 minutes check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWcMevDFbY

Really hysterical. :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1392479972|3615831 said:
I have really thick, straight hair. Will this work for me? It never stays up in anything because it's so slick and heavy.

I think it would definitely work! My hair is super straight and long, but I could never acheive a pretty bun due to it being so fine. Honestly, I think it would work for anyone's hair, but it would work best with longer hair (about 6 inches of "ponytail").

The heaviness would be okay because after you roll your pony on it, there is an elastic on one end that wraps around the base of the bun to hold it in place. ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1392480316|3615838 said:

LOL I think lots of men hate buns. Did you ever see the King of Queens episode where Carrie starts wearing her hair in a bun and Doug freaks out because he has his HS reunion coming up and he loves Carrie with her hair down and hates her bun with a passion. Hahaha, funny episode! If you didn't catch it and have a spare 19 minutes check it out.

HA! I did see that episode!! DH insisted that all men hate buns... so much that it was written into the episode. :???: Whatever. Buns are the sh!t. LOL ;))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is my go-to for getting my hair into a bun:

http://fashionista.com/2011/03/oh-goody-ingenious-hair-pins-help-you-do-easy-updos/

if I can do it, anyone can do it!

also, I found them also at the $1.00 store and thought it worth a try....loved it and went back for another set. they no longer have them, unfortunately; however, they can be had for regular price or even on eBay.

these are great! got them in right now!

further research reveals I'm not using a Sock Bun but a "doughnut" but you can also use a sock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWoWYMOBoJI

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them. I do end up using 4 though 'cause I'm rather paranoid about them....but they just stay put for me.
literally screw the little suckers in...took a while to get used to reverse screwing them out, though.

lots of video how-to on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvhE75bxf2I

also, I don't do my really low. and I start the twist before going round and round....my finger! I place my finger in the middle and wrap around that. comes out more of the "bun" look as opposed to the "knot" look. however, it is smaller than using the doughnut which I'm ok with on me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1392507196|3616049 said:
I love them. I do end up using 4 though 'cause I'm rather paranoid about them....but they just stay put for me.
literally screw the little suckers in...took a while to get used to reverse screwing them out, though.

lots of video how-to on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvhE75bxf2I

also, I don't do my really low. and I start the twist before going round and round....my finger! I place my finger in the middle and wrap around that. comes out more of the "bun" look as opposed to the "knot" look. however, it is smaller than using the doughnut which I'm ok with on me.

Thanks for the tips -- if I ever find mine, I'll try it out! (I have a feeling they're probably under a piece of furniture... i.e. became a cat toy) :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my experience is that all HAIR toys are really CAT toys!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1392581429|3616440 said:
Thank you for the hot buns tip! I went out today and got them at Bed Bath and I think this is going to be my new daily staple!

Sweet!! Post photos!! :appl:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
msop04|1392590269|3616531 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1392589802|3616522 said:
A low bun!

So chic!! LOVE IT!!! :appl: :appl: :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

Why thank you! This is much much better than my usual ponytail or sloppy college dorm bun, lol. I can actually look put together in about 2 minutes which is perfect for me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1392590491|3616534 said:
msop04|1392590269|3616531 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1392589802|3616522 said:
A low bun!

So chic!! LOVE IT!!! :appl: :appl: :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

Why thank you! This is much much better than my usual ponytail or sloppy college dorm bun, lol. I can actually look put together in about 2 minutes which is perfect for me.

I love that it looks like you spent A LONG TIME fixing your hair -- it's a very polished, "put-together" look. I feel like I'm almost hosting an infomercial for Hot Buns, but I just love them! :bigsmile:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep these things are genius. Dunno what they call them here in Australia but I got mine for about $5 at a discount makeup/beauty store. Wish I had discovered them YEARS ago. Now I have short hair again and cannot put it up but for the past year of so this look was my work staple. Polished & professional!

minidancer

Shiny_Rock
missy|1392480316|3615838 said:

^ :lol:

For some reason my DF prefers my hair up (I think bc it's long and gets on him). I will have to find one of these Hot Buns asap :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results