shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair help - products, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Tacori''s thread about growing hair got me thinking, and I''d like some recommendations from anyone who''s willing to help.
1.gif

I''m not quite sure how to describe my hair - frizzy, definitely. It''s dark blonde, always kept it somewhere between very high shoulder length and a little below the shoulders. It''s definitely not straight, but not truly curly. If I air dry it with no product, it''s thick and full of kinks and curls at the ends. This is my typical routine - then I blow it out with a round brush and use a flat iron, and it generally stays straight unless I encounter humidity, then I''m done in till next time (even using some product). I can blow dry it after the shower with a round brush, but I generally get the same result as air drying, still with kinks throughout and actual curls at the ends. Then still flat iron - if no flat iron is used, it''s just big frizzy hair that''s straighter than before.

I can air dry my hair with some curl product, sometimes using a diffuser on the blow dryer, and my hair curls great in the bottom half. But the top half just doesn''t have any curl in it, which looks flat and heavy, and greasy b/c of the product. So I sometimes try to blow dry the top half, but then I lose the majority of the curl.
20.gif
And it doesn''t turn into the wavy deal either - too much kink, not enough length I think.

I''ve started keeping the length shorter, b/c it just takes a little less time to style (still ~20 mins) - too much time gets aggravating to me. I''ve also noticed that I always end up with a few tiny split ends on the front hair I can pull up and examine closely, maybe 4 weeks after a trim. My hair dresser has insisted that there''s none there, but I can see them up very close.

I guess the advice I need is for products and styling techniques/recommendations. I''m so unknowledgeable when it comes to all this. Are there shampoos/conditioners you guys prefer for hair that sounds like mine? (I''ve tried various moisturizing/smoothing ones, none seem to stand out.) Are there any styling products you''d recommend or do you think there''s a certain way I should try for my everyday routine that doesn''t require damaging it with the flat iron every day? I appreciate any help you can offer.
1.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I would probably only apply conditioner & styling products to the length of your hair & stay away from the scalp, that is what I do. All styling products should be applied sparingly until you figure out the amount that is best for your hair-I never follow the amounts on the label as it's usually too much. For straightening I like John Freida Wind Down® Relaxing Creme or Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Relaxing Balm, a little goes a looong way. When blowdrying I do very small sections. My daughter's hair is curly & I like to use Tresemme mega hold super firm control sculpting gel (Pink tube) on her hair when it's towel dried- she winds up with Shirley Temple curls.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 1:20:13 PM
Author: VegasAngel
I would probably only apply conditioner & styling products to the length of your hair & stay away from the scalp, that is what I do. All styling products should be applied sparingly until you figure out the amount that is best for your hair-I never follow the amounts on the label as it''s usually too much. For straightening I like John Freida Wind Down® Relaxing Creme or Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Relaxing Balm, a little goes a looong way. When blowdrying I do very small sections. My daughter''s hair is curly & I like to use Tresemme mega hold super firm control sculpting gel (Pink tube) on her hair when it''s towel dried- she winds up with Shirley Temple curls.
Thats what I do, I tilt my head forward and just apply it to the ends, this works much better I find. I use Kerastase which I find excellent.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
My hair is very much like yours! I use this line of products when wearing my hair straight: link and LOVE them!!!

I use these when wearing my hair curly: curly link. I use the curl mouse only.

I have found that getting the right product makes a world of difference when styling my hair. The curly products are the only I've found that work with my hair to hold the curl. I also agree that you should only use the conditioner on the ends.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
two words: DEVA CURL

Amazing wonderful products that are easy to use and have transformed my hair. Google them. If you are in NY they also have a great salon. Their "Angell" and "set me up" are god sends!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hey girls, thanks so much for the responses so far, I have no idea what products are good to use, so this helps so much!!! Keep 'em coming if you have any advice!
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...

I would suggest using a really good defuser, and dry your hair in sections. Most women attempt to "tackle" the whole hairstyle at once, which isn''t a great idea. If you take smaller sections, working from the nape of the neck upward you''ll have better luck. Also, I suggest twisting the hair around your finger to define the curls.

Products, I like anything from the Big Sexy Hair line when it comes to curly hair. I think the products are great. Like the other ladies said, avoid the scalp area of your hair....whatever you use, apply no more than a quater size dollop to your hand...rub the product between your hands to "warm it up" flip your head over and apply only from the midstrand to end. To desperse the product properally, run a wide tooth comb through it.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I agree about only conditioning the bottom part of your hair and the same for the hair products. I have curly/wavy/frizzy hair and I love the John Frieda Frizz Ease Hair Syrun & Gel. They work really, really well for me, but I also have very thick/heavy hair. The Sunsilk curl products are pretty good too - they have a de-frizz cream that works well and then there is a cream & gel combo that is kind of spiralled togther that might work well for you too.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Any good straightening spray product (to apply before blow drying) would give you a sleeker blow out, and then finish it off with either a silicone serum/spray/cream to seal out moisture, or a light hair spray. I had a great spray by Haime Munoz for straightening, but cannot find it anywhere now. Sunsilk is low price, Matrix is pricey, but both work well.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys so much for the techniques and product suggestions!! It is much appreciated - every little suggestion helps!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 4:19:37 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Hmmm...

I would suggest using a really good defuser, and dry your hair in sections. Most women attempt to ''tackle'' the whole hairstyle at once, which isn''t a great idea. If you take smaller sections, working from the nape of the neck upward you''ll have better luck. Also, I suggest twisting the hair around your finger to define the curls.

Products, I like anything from the Big Sexy Hair line when it comes to curly hair. I think the products are great. Like the other ladies said, avoid the scalp area of your hair....whatever you use, apply no more than a quater size dollop to your hand...rub the product between your hands to ''warm it up'' flip your head over and apply only from the midstrand to end. To desperse the product properally, run a wide tooth comb through it.
Hey Italia thanks for the reply - I do definitely tend to tackle all the hair at once. When you talk about doing it in sections, is this good to do regardless of the style (curly or straight)? And do you apply a tiny bit of product for each section you do at a time, or do you apply the product to all the hair, then pin it up and work/dry in sections?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I would still apply product to the whole head at once, and then work in sections. Twisting the hair as your go, and the defusing that one curly section.

Also, don''t over think the process...and remember, it''s okay to start over...if you put in to much product and have time, rewash and style, or pull it up in a pony tail.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 1:08:12 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I would still apply product to the whole head at once, and then work in sections. Twisting the hair as your go, and the defusing that one curly section.

Also, don''t over think the process...and remember, it''s okay to start over...if you put in to much product and have time, rewash and style, or pull it up in a pony tail.
Thank you!
1.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My friend has curly hair that she always had problems styling, until she found a stylist who knew how to cut curly hair. Now she can style her hair in less than 20 minutes and some days if she wants a curlier look will let it air dry just using her fingers.

The salon is in NYC ( I believe it is called Devachan). She travels to NY once every 8 weeks to get her hair cut for the past 2 years. I don''t know where you live, but there maybe someone who specializes in cutting curly hair to your liking. I think once you get the right style your hair will do waht you want it to do.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys! Thanks soocool - yeah I''d love to find someone who knows how to cut it right. I''m in NC, which is a pretty good way from NY, haha but we''ll see!

I tried a relaxer on my hair once with my hairdresser - it helped for a while with the cowlicks around my forehead and face, but the majority of my hair never changed texture like she said it would. Then once the regrowth came out, it was the very same as before. The second treatment didn''t really help either like she said it would. So I''m done with that. I sill have frizz-fro hair, not relaxed at all, so it''s no easier to do straight. Looks like I''ll have to try some curly styling unless I want to keep using the flat iron every day.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Have you ever tried Frederic Fekkai Glossing cream? It''s like the best product on the market.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I just have to recommend the shampoo/conditioner that I use - http://us.lorealprofessionnel.com/_en/_us/products/feature/site_SerieExpert/index.aspx

It''s called L''Oreal Serie Expert, I use the Intense Repair. I was addicted to changing shampoo until I found this one, now I haven''t used anything else in 4+ years. It can be hard to find but it''s getting better.

My hair was similar to yours, and I always struggled with it. It was mostly straight with weird kinks and waves scattered throughout, mostly in the underneath part. It always looked horrible if I didn''t blowdry and flatiron or curl it with a curling iron. The weird thing about that is that you get stuck in this cycle where you''re heat styling your hair every day to make it look nice, but then it''s damaged so it doesn''t look nice on its own, so then you REALLY have to heat style it! I finally forced myself to break the cycle by washing and air drying my hair every other night, then sleeping on it. It sounds weird, but if my hair is totally dry when I go to sleep I wake up and it''s all smooth and flattened out. After a few months of that, my hair totally changed texture - now it''s not frizzy at all, it grows really well, and it''s gotten almost entirely straight.

The only other product I use is BioSilk Silk Therapy, which is just a nice smoothing/shine serum. It helps keeps the ends from getting crazy.

Good luck!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results