shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair help please...what is the best curling iron to buy?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies,

I am stuck after doing lots of research and hope that you guys can help me. I have very fine curly hair that tends to frizz. When straight it is a few inches below my shoulders and when curly my hair is at my shoulders.

Anyway, my only hairstyle lately is a ponytail and I am getting tired of wearing it this way. I don't blow it straight anymore as it is too much of a pain and my dh actually prefers it curly or in a ponytail.

I need a curling iron to make the curls look more pulled together and smart. When I let it dry naturally the curls I end up with depend on the humidity and temperature so I would use the curling iron to clean it up on days (which is most of the time LOL) I need some help.

I did lots of reading and my head is swimming now as to the brand to get. I know I want a variable temp setting as my hair is very fine and I want to use as low a temp setting as I can and still allow it to curl.

I prefer a clipless curling iron as it seems easier to use and no crimp to deal with in my hair from the clip. I also would like a ceramic/tourmaline barrel for increasing shine and decreasing frizz. I have narrowed it down to Chi, Cortex or Hai but am not sure which is best for my hair type and best ease of use as I am not too graceful with using tools unfortunately so ease of use matters for me. Plus, I am not sure that I am not missing a better one out there. I thought I had decided on the Enzo Milano but then realized it only had one heat setting (325F) so had to cross it off my list.

Here are the curling irons I am considering. Any advice or other recommendations are greatly appreciated as I just feel I am in unchartered territory for me and need some knowledgeable weigh ins on this decision.

The Hai Digital Ceramic Styling tool
http://www.misikko.com/hai-rod-iron.html

The Cortex Professional 4 in 1 clipless curling iron set
http://www.folica.com/Cortex_Professi_t6474_1.html

Chi Turbo digital Ceramic Spring Curling Iron
(not clipless but I can just not use the clip if this turns out to be the best one to get)
http://www.folica.com/CHI_Turbo_Digit_d4793.html

Thanks so much for your help on this. I have never used curling irons before and my hairdresser just told me to get a newer ceramic one to minimize damage. And when I started looking and researching I was like aaaargh
32.gif
....which one to get??!!

Best,
Melissa

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found another one that looks interesting and is much less expensive. Conair Infiniti pro you curl
http://www.conair.com/infiniti-by-conair-you-curl-p-883.html
Seems to have all the features I am looking for...

I have a feeling that flat ironing hair straight is way more popular here than curling with a curling iron but if anyone does have any comments/info that would be great.

Thanks.
1.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t help with which to buy...but friends with super curly hair swear by gelling it while their hair is wet and then letting it dry on it''s own or with a diffuser on their dryer.

Also-forgive my incompetence, but how do the clipless curling irons work? Do you have to hold the hair or is it a wrist technique to get the hair to stay on its own?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mayachel,

Thanks for your reply. I didn''t know a thing about clipless curlers until I started doing research last night.
It''s pretty cool. You hold the barrel face down and take an approximately 1 inch section of your hair and wind it down the barrel (different ways depending on the curl pattern you desire) and hold for a few seconds and release. It produces really nice looking curls (at least on the videos I was watching LOL).
Hair Thursday has a good video also and though her curling iron isn''t clipless she doesn''t use the clip. She loves the Hot Tools curling irons but her hair is thick and less prone to damage. I need ceramic for even heating and less chance of damage.

Here is a video that demonstrates the clipless curling iron. I actually just ordered this through drugstore.com so I will report back with my impressions once I get and use it.
http://www.conairyoucurl.com/howto.php

Best,
Melissa

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Like, how would you like your curls to be? Honestly, I probably wouldn''t buy a curling iron, you just need the proper products: a great dryer with a diffuser and a cold shot, great conditioner, and curl enhancing styling products. Garnier makes a great line of products for curls. Since I go to Frederic Fekkai, I tend to prefer Fekkai products, but I would also highly recommend Bumble and Bumble, or Matrix.

But if you really wanted to curl your hair with head, I''d just get a mini straightener, like a GHD IV and curl it that way. So much faster and easier.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Before purchasing an expensive styling tool, I''d research the Curly Girl Method. There are lots of tips on what types of shampoos, products, and drying methods to use. I''ve adapted some of them for my own curly hair and am very pleased. On days when my hair just will not do anything, I have a cheapie curling iron that I use to add a few nice curls in the top layer to look more pulled together.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2010 10:20:45 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Like, how would you like your curls to be? Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy a curling iron, you just need the proper products: a great dryer with a diffuser and a cold shot, great conditioner, and curl enhancing styling products. Garnier makes a great line of products for curls. Since I go to Frederic Fekkai, I tend to prefer Fekkai products, but I would also highly recommend Bumble and Bumble, or Matrix.

But if you really wanted to curl your hair with head, I'd just get a mini straightener, like a GHD IV and curl it that way. So much faster and easier.

Hi Pennquaker,
Thanks for the tips. I feel like I have tried everything to tame my curly hair LOL and that includes (almost) all the products out there.
39.gif

I watched some videos showing curling with the GHD IV and some others. I am very uncoordinated and I also feel that my hair is too curly for the hair straightening irons to work as well as a curling iron just to clean up the areas that need it once my hair is dry. Though I might invest in a good straightening iron at some point as I would like to be able to blow my hair straight for special occasions and also can then experiment with the curling method using the flat iron.

I read about the recommendations on PS and it seems the top flat irons are GHD and Chi.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Best,
Melissa

ps I adore Sephora also
30.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2010 11:17:23 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Before purchasing an expensive styling tool, I'd research the Curly Girl Method. There are lots of tips on what types of shampoos, products, and drying methods to use. I've adapted some of them for my own curly hair and am very pleased. On days when my hair just will not do anything, I have a cheapie curling iron that I use to add a few nice curls in the top layer to look more pulled together.

Hi somethingshiny,
I am off to research this method now.
That is how I feel about using the curling iron. I just hope to use it when my hair will not behave and hopefully it will add a more pulled together look. I am so tired of wearing my hair back or in a ponytail KWIM?
14.gif

I so envy the girls whose hair is not affected by humidity and who can look so sophisticated with their straight shiny and smooth hair!
3.gif

Thanks very much for your suggestion.
Off to google it now.

Best,
Melissa

Edit: I see that the Curly Girl Method involves the no poo method. I have tried that but my hair is so fine that when I wash with just conditioner it gets all weighed down and greasy looking...
8.gif

I don't wash my hair every day now and try to do it every 2 days but sometimes I just cannot stand it and wash it every other day. I also never use shampoo or conditioner with any harsh chemicals - such as sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate or ammonium lauryl sulfate.

Blossom

Rough_Rock
Hi Missy:

Definitely check out http://www.naturallycurly.com/ for some great info on managing curly hair... everything from barely wavy to super kinky. Be very careful about the types of shampoos and conditioners you use (naturallycurly - curly girl method actually advises no shampoo) and stay away from silicones which can detract from the way your hair "performs" over time. Couple of other tips... never use a brush on your hair unless it''s a ponytail day. Fingers only - and sparingly! Do not overdry your hair with a towel when you get out of the shower. Gently pat and scrunch instead of rubbing or putting it up turban style. Definitely get a diffuser or a dryer sock to cut the flow of air to your curls (I prefer the dryer sock). You want the heat but not the rush of air. You might also want to get some duck bill clips to put into the crown of your hair to get some lift while you are drying. This works for a lot of people though I tend to just use my fingers.

Good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2010 5:59:46 AM
Author: Blossom
Hi Missy:

Definitely check out http://www.naturallycurly.com/ for some great info on managing curly hair... everything from barely wavy to super kinky. Be very careful about the types of shampoos and conditioners you use (naturallycurly - curly girl method actually advises no shampoo) and stay away from silicones which can detract from the way your hair 'performs' over time. Couple of other tips... never use a brush on your hair unless it's a ponytail day. Fingers only - and sparingly! Do not overdry your hair with a towel when you get out of the shower. Gently pat and scrunch instead of rubbing or putting it up turban style. Definitely get a diffuser or a dryer sock to cut the flow of air to your curls (I prefer the dryer sock). You want the heat but not the rush of air. You might also want to get some duck bill clips to put into the crown of your hair to get some lift while you are drying. This works for a lot of people though I tend to just use my fingers.

Good luck!

Thanks very much Blossom.

I was reading that great website all day yesterday LOL.
I don't know what took me so long to find it!

I also just read about the sock drying method and like it so will be trying that out this AM - just looked at the clock and I better start getting ready for work...today's a wash my hair day...will try out some of the great suggestions you lovely ladies have given me. I appreciate all of them.

Thanks again from one naturally curly girl to another I know you can all feel my pain
5.gif

35.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ps Has anyone had their hair cut at Ouidad?

I am thinking about it but for one I don't want to stop going to my hairdresser who I have been seeing for 20 years and also Ouidad is so expensive.

My current hairdresser is so nice and really works with me...I have rosacea and he always keeps the salon so cold for me and he does a wicked blow out. And when I want to leave it curly he really does a great job with the curling iron.

I just wonder if a different cut would help but not sure it is worth the stress of changing hairdressers (and losing a friend perhaps in the process) plus the cost is prohibitive at Ouidad.

Just wondering if anyone here has used/uses them.

Thanks.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve gone to Ouidad on & off through the years (the NYC one); I went to 3 different cutters there too. I found that I loved the cut the first time I went there but became less & less happy each time I went back. I''ll never go back though, not worth it to me. Btw, my hair is fine and frizzy too (esp this time of the year). I love the guy I go to now (knock wood); he''s been cutting my hair for 3 yrs now and charges less than Ouidad.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Missy~ I don''t do the "no poo" either. I tried it and my hair felt gross. I do use the types of styling products and plopping though. I also found a link into what cut to get and had my lady follow those tips.

If you''re going to continue to use regular shampoo (because it has non-water soluble products), I think the Chi Silk Infusion is a great product. I think it''s meant to be used with flat irons (which I do when I straighten it) but I use it to tame the curls after they''re dry. I also love it for day 2 after washing. It pulls the little frizzies back.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2010 9:03:45 AM
Author: alexah
I've gone to Ouidad on & off through the years (the NYC one); I went to 3 different cutters there too. I found that I loved the cut the first time I went there but became less & less happy each time I went back. I'll never go back though, not worth it to me. Btw, my hair is fine and frizzy too (esp this time of the year). I love the guy I go to now (knock wood); he's been cutting my hair for 3 yrs now and charges less than Ouidad.

Thanks Alexah. That makes me feel like I'm not missing out on any miracle cut at Ouidad and saves me money
22.gif

Of course, now I'm totally intrigued as to who you do use LOL. I'm in NYC also.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2010 10:36:51 AM
Author: somethingshiny
Missy~ I don''t do the ''no poo'' either. I tried it and my hair felt gross. I do use the types of styling products and plopping though. I also found a link into what cut to get and had my lady follow those tips.

If you''re going to continue to use regular shampoo (because it has non-water soluble products), I think the Chi Silk Infusion is a great product. I think it''s meant to be used with flat irons (which I do when I straighten it) but I use it to tame the curls after they''re dry. I also love it for day 2 after washing. It pulls the little frizzies back.

Thanks for the recommendations somethingshiny. That''s a great idea about researching curly cuts and bringing it to my hairdresser. I am also going to look into the Chi Silk Infusion. Thanks!

I did follow your recommendations not to comb my hair after I washed and conditioned it this AM and also not to turban it up in a towel. I just gently patted it dry with a towel and then I just used my fingers to apply leave in conditioner. I didn''t get to diffuse it with a sock though as I was running oober late so I just left with it wet and it dried pretty quickly as it was pretty low humidity today. It looked good as it was curly without frizz but that was mainly because of low humidity. Of course I ended up putting it back (1/2 up) as I am not in love with my hairstyle when it is down.

Who said that with curly hair no 2 days are alike LOL Totally true. I appreciate the tips though as they can only help on more humid days.

Best,
Melissa

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I am just too impulsive (with jewelry and hair and clothes etc)
9.gif

Folica is having a good sale so I also bought the Solia flat iron and kit as after all my research the Solia looks to be as good as all the other big name brands (Chi, Sedu etc) and it has something the other brands don't which is an autosensor which senses how much heat your hair needs.
I also received a mini Sedu straightening iron as a bonus for spending over a certain amount so I am happy about that. And some good products for curly frizzy hair are included in the kit to protect against heat styling so another bonus.

I am excited to get this in the mail but probably won't try straightening till the humidity and heat diminishes a bit. The curling iron came yesterday and when I have a chance to try it I will let you know of my impressions.

36.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results