shape
carat
color
clarity

GROSS Things In Your Food

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I find this interesting: the USDA (U S Department of Agriculture) booklet of insect bits, rat hairs, pus pockets, parasites and mold allowed in your food.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/SanitationTransportation/ucm056174.htm Scroll down, that’s where the fun is!

My personal favorites include (direct quotes from booklet) : :appl: :appl:

Red Fish and Ocean Perch - 3 % of the fillets examined contain 1 or more copepods accompanied by pus pockets

Corn: Sweet Corn, Canned - Insect larvae (corn ear worms, corn borers) 2 or more 3mm or longer larvae, cast skins, larval or cast skin fragments of corn ear worms or corn borer and the aggregate length of such larvae, cast skins, larval or cast skin fragments exceeds 12 mm in 24 pounds (24 No. 303 cans or equivalent)

Popcorn - 1 or more rodent excreta pellets are found in 1 or more subsamples, and 1 or more rodent hairs are found in 2 or more other subsamples
OR
2 or more rodent hairs per pound and rodent hair is found in 50% or more of the subsamples
OR
20 or more gnawed grains per pound and rodent hair is found in 50% or more of the subsamples

Peanuts, Shelled - Average of 20 or more whole insects or equivalent in 100-pound bag siftings

Peanuts, Unshelled - Average of 10% or more peanuts by count are rejects (insect- infested, moldy, rancid, otherwise decomposed, and dirty)

There are pages and pages of yummy things on the list. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it? :rodent:

A side note on peanuts; since the early 1990’s, peanut companies have started using a MUCH stronger fungicide to protect their harvested nuts. I think that the majority of peanut allergies are actually an allergy to this new fungicide, but good luck finding a peanut on the market that doesn’t have this fungicide sprayed on it at some point.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummie.

Reminds me of my parsley with 'free' stinkbug eggs. :knockout:

screen_shot_2015-07-02_at_12.png

screen_shot_2015-07-02_at_0.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand how allowing any level of yuckies is objectionable.

But requiring ZERO yuckies would result in infinite cost.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I agree, Kenny. But I wanted to let people know. Forewarned is forearmed. Or in this case, six-legged. :naughty:

I thought of your buggies when I saw this;

Apple Butter - Average of 5 or more whole or equivalent insects (not counting mites, aphids, thrips, or scale insects) per 100 grams of apple butter

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I guess it's inevitable that we end up eating bugs at some point.
Just like that time in the 5th grade when you got a bug in your mouth while you were riding your bike!

And for the record, Kenny, I thought your stinkbug babies were adorable!
I'm sad that they came to an untimely end.......

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1435869524|3898096 said:
And for the record, Kenny, I thought your stinkbug babies were adorable!
I'm sad that they came to an untimely end.......

Well, actually it could be argued I extended their cute little lives.
Had I not noticed them they have died in the tummies of my friends a few days earlier.
At least many of them got to be born and say, "Hello." to the world via the Internet. :appl:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
You lost me at "pus pockets." I actually dry-heaved.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results