carat
color
clarity

Groom divorces bride the moment he sees her at wedding

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice.

A Saudi groom has divorced his bride on their wedding night after seeing her face for the first time when the photographer asked them to pose for pictures.

The couple, from the Western Saudi town of Medinah, had agreed to marry each other despite having not met face to face - a popular custom in certain Middle Eastern countries.
But when the bride removed her veil and smiled for the camera, her new husband leapt to his feet in disgust.
He said: 'You are not the girl I had imagined. I am sorry, but I divorce you.'

According to local daily Okaz, the bride immediately collapsed in a fit of tears as panicked wedding guests stepped in to try to resolve the dispute.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837721/Saudi-husband-tells-bride-wants-divorce-wedding-seeing-face-time-photographer-asked-pose-pictures.html?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone here watch a crazy reality show called "Married At First Sight". I did and it was about 3 couples who agreed to marry without having ever met each other. They were matched by psychological professionals who had a lot of info from each of them. One of the brides almost had a nervous breakdown when she saw who the professionals had matched her with. Someone she didn't find physically attractive and whom she could never imagine herself married to.

Anyway she went through with the marriage and long story short after many months fell in love with who he is and they are still happily married. And no matter what happens in the future (and I think they will make it) it goes to show without a doubt that looks are only superficial and the person inside is the person who matters. She truly loves him despite not having been attracted to his physical appearance at first.

All I can say about this story you posted about Kenny is shame on him. He shouldn't have agreed to marry someone without ever meeting them if this was how badly he was going to behave. She escaped a bullet if you ask me. I just hope she is strong enough to recover from the rejection.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this sounds crass but arranged marriages are nothing new in other parts of the world. At least many have the option to meet each other first these days though. His decision not to meet her prior to the wedding is his own doing. I am sorry that she had to experience this at the altar in front of so many relatives and friends. In such cultures, her family has lost a good portion of their honour due to his childish outbreak.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, he shamed himself even more than he insulted her.

I'm not criticizing people who have arranged marriages.
My ex of 13 years was born and raised in India.
He said the divorce rate of arranged marriages is WAY lower than the divorce rate in America.

But IMO if you are entering an arranged marriage part of the bargain is accepting the looks of your partner
They are put together by the families, and family outranks the individual in these cultures ... not a bad idea, but I was raised in a ME culture.

My ex also said people who live in cultures of arranged marriages don't put as high a priority on the essentialness of physical attraction that westerners do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to add ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do NOT find attractive the 'ideal' male that my culture considers attractive.

Picking a mate for me would be a nightmare for my family, unless I told them I prefer large, husky, swarthy, stocky, beefy, hairy men with dark skin, dark hair, heavy brows and thick eyebrows and a neck that's thicker than the head.
That's NOT on the usual menu.

Perhaps the woman is attractive to most in her culture, but not to his out-of-the-norm preference.
But again, if agreeing to an arranged marriage you accept the woman your family picks.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

She has one less problem without him.

cheers--Sharon

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
This has me a bit worried for the poor bride. In these cultures women are so devalued. I hope her family doesn't do something awful to her because the groom publicly shamed her. What a rotten person he is.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1416446723|3786843 said:
This has me a bit worried for the poor bride. In these cultures women are so devalued. I hope her family doesn't do something awful to her because the groom publicly shamed her. What a rotten person he is.
That is unfortunately where my mind went too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1416450172|3786870 said:

I thought that too..

Hopefully this is a good thing for her, you know, not being forced to stay married to an ass.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you all get the blue box with the story "Saudi Husband Divorces Wife after she fails to reply to his Whatsapp text Message" next to this story - divorcing his wife because she ignored his text to her, is equally disturbing.....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1416450172|3786870 said:

Thritto; this is what I meant in my post earlier. In this type of culture where women are regarded as 3rd class citizens, there is more shame to her family for being jilted than the groom behaving like a child.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1416437586|3786750 said:
I want to add ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do NOT find attractive the 'ideal' male that my culture considers attractive.

Picking a mate for me would be a nightmare for my family, unless I told them I prefer large, husky, swarthy, stocky, beefy, hairy men with dark skin, dark hair, heavy brows and thick eyebrows and a neck that's thicker than the head.
That's NOT on the usual menu.

Perhaps the woman is attractive to most in her culture, but not to his out-of-the-norm preference.
But again, if agreeing to an arranged marriage you accept the woman your family picks.

Kenny, I think I've said this before, but you and I have eerily similar taste in men! ;-) Not quite sure what you mean by neck being thicker than head but if you'd like to post a random picture from google images, I'd appreciate it! ;-)

Back to the topic, I come from a very diverse family and have relatives for whom arranged marriage is commonplace. It isn't some weirdly barbaric custom from the dark ages as some would like to believe, and the reason this particular marriage has made the news is because it is so unusual for a groom to divorce based on looks alone.

Often a couple will meet beforehand (sometimes chaperoned, depending on how conservative the families are) to test rapport. Even if a woman is in purdah it is permissible for her to show her face to a potential suitor once he has indicated that his intentions are honourable. Some agree to this because they realise that for them physical attraction is important but others choose not to look.

I can imagine that this is weird for Americans because it's just so alien to American culture, but it is quite normal in some parts of the world. Arranged marriages do have a much lower divorce rate than western "love matches", but I think this is only really true when both parties are completely honest about what they find attractive in a partner. I wonder if this was the case here.

Having said all that, my husband is so far from my physical "type" that it's a joke! He's tall and lean and blond and blue eyed and just... I don't know. Preppy looking, I guess. But he bowled me over completely, and whenever I think about it, I'm reminded of something I read: "carnal passion soon palls. A superlative intellect is endlessly alluring".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1416507189|3787338 said:
Kenny, I think I've said this before, but you and I have eerily similar taste in men! ;-) Not quite sure what you mean by neck being thicker than head but if you'd like to post a random picture from google images, I'd appreciate it! ;-)

Since you asked ... here are 5 thick-necked heavy-brow dudes.

tn1.png

tn2.png

tn3.png

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

This.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Those . . . guys . . . I wonder how many of them have to pluck their unibrow into two? No, wait. They probably have to wax.
:bigsmile:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I wonder if a few of the Aussie footballers and Kiwi (New Zealand) ones would fit into your profile as well.... we call them the beefcake boys :lol: There are a lot of Aussie women that find them attractive.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1416537376|3787719 said:

Since you asked ... here are 5 thick-necked heavy-brow dudes.

Oooooh. Did someone turn up the temperature in here?! :love: :lickout: *starts fanning herself*

arkieb1 said:
Kenny, I wonder if a few of the Aussie footballers and Kiwi (New Zealand) ones would fit into your profile as well.... we call them the beefcake boys :lol: There are a lot of Aussie women that find them attractive.

YES! Some of those Aussie Rules footballers are HAWT! But most of them are just... I don't know... Overly groomed, I guess.

I understand the whole "different strokes for different folks" thing, but I like aggressively masculine looking men who don't look like they spend longer to get ready than I do. I remember back when I was single (seems like such a long time ago), being so disappointed whenever I met a hairy guy who waxed or shaved or lasered his chest hair. It was heartbreaking for me. :( I mean, I'd get all these clues of how hot he would be shirtless (perhaps he'd be of a certain ethnicity or have a five o'clock shadow at noon or a random stray hair here or there or whatever) and then I'd see him in a more revealing tee shirt and be like, all deflated and disappointed and want to go out and get some glue and stick all back on again.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Trekkie|1416558523|3787815 said:
kenny|1416537376|3787719 said:
I mean, I'd get all these clues of how hot he would be shirtless (perhaps he'd be of a certain ethnicity or have a five o'clock shadow at noon or a random stray hair here or there or whatever) and then I'd see him in a more revealing tee shirt and be like, all deflated and disappointed and want to go out and get some glue and stick all back on again.

Oh my, the glue stick part this comment made me snort out my morning beverage :lol:

Kroshka

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one that would like to see a pic of the bride?

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Lol! Glad you all had a giggle at that! ;-)

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
HollyS|1416551678|3787795 said:
Those . . . guys . . . I wonder how many of them have to pluck their unibrow into two? No, wait. They probably have to wax.
:bigsmile:

Don't knock it. I once dated a guy who looks like these gentlemen. One day early on in our relationship, I was feeling rather reluctant about telling him what I had planned for that morning - hair removal via electrolysis. Ouch!!! (This was before the advent of laser.) Who wants to talk about that stuff with a man you only just started seeing? Well, I finally fessed up. His response? "Why didn't you want to tell me? I have to pluck my brow so it looks like I have two. I'm Iranian. All the women in my family get their hair zapped and so do some of the men. Don't forget your Emla. That s--t hurts!"

It turns out that my electrolysis lady is Iranian as well. He was thrilled, and asked me to promise never to be embarrassed about hair removal.

After that, I have a major soft spot for beefy guys with heavy brows.

Threadjack over.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results