shape
carat
color
clarity

Great Lobster Mystery: Food prices are soaring. So why are prices for the delicious crustacean falli

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.slate.com/id/2196990/

Recent Slate article. Lobster going for $5.50 a pound (okay, in Maine, but still)

Maybe sheds some light on todays thread-that-will-be-unnamed? =)

Quote:

"Based on my intensive investigations, it seems that prices for both the commodity (lobsters sold on the docks) and the finished product (steamed lobsters sold at dockside restaurants) are lower than they've been in past years. In a seafood store in downtown Portland, a pound of lobster ($5.49) went for pretty close to what I had paid for a gallon of gas in Connecticut the day before ($4.30). A few years ago, the pound-of-lobster-to-gallon-of-gas ratio would have more like 4-to-1. Our hosts welcomed us with two-pound lobsters that cost less than a pound of steak."

=)

RZ

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if this applies to my story but I was just talking to my FI tonight about a co-workers camping trip this past weekend... apparently he brought 25 lobsters to grill and there were less than 25 people there. I was like wow, how was he able to buy so many aren''t they pricey? My FI said something about him buying them in bulk? I don''t know... I thought it was weird though and then I see your post about cheap lobster!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you believe I am 37 years old and have never tasted Lobster?

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
It might be cheaper at the stores (haven''t checked lately) but it''s definitely not cheaper in the restaurants here! We celebrated our anniversary last month and the lobster on the menu was $.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Makes sense to me...the first things people cut out in an economic crisis are "fancy" foods. Demand falls and so the price falls to try and compensate for the lost sales. If they can't sell a lobster at $10/lb they either have to literally eat their losses or sell it for less...

Just basic economics at work here.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband grew up in New Hampshire and he's amazed and appalled at what lobster costs here in the midwest. When he was a kid lobster was "poor people food" in his neck of the woods!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 10:47:28 AM
Author: neatfreak
Makes sense to me...the first things people cut out in an economic crisis are ''fancy'' foods. Demand falls and so the price falls to try and compensate for the lost sales. If they can''t sell a lobster at $10/lb they either have to literally eat their losses or sell it for less...

Bravo neatfreak!
36.gif
I hated drawing out those curves for Economics class!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we have a chinese restaurant in town that serves a 1.25 lb Maine lobster over noodles for $13
18.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
That makes me want to go to Maine! if only I could afford the gas to get there...
20.gif
Stopping for lobster on the side of the road was the highlight of my last trip there. YUM.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Makes sense to me...the first things people cut out in an economic crisis are ''fancy'' foods. Demand falls and so the price falls to try and compensate for the lost sales. If they can''t sell a lobster at $10/lb they either have to literally eat their losses or sell it for less...

Hmm, great observation.

I guess it''s related, but over the last few years I''ve been noticing our regular filet mignon creeping up from $22.99 a pound to $26.99 to most recently $30.99; you can imagine my surprise last week when I went to a run-of-the-mill grocery store and saw it on sale for **$5.99/POUND**! (Having seen so many complaints and news stories about rising gas and food prices, I figured that the newly budget-conscious had stopped picking it up altogether.)

f-d-l

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 1:10:58 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Hmm, great observation.

I guess it''s related, but over the last few years I''ve been noticing our regular filet mignon creeping up from $22.99 a pound to $26.99 to most recently $30.99; you can imagine my surprise last week when I went to a run-of-the-mill grocery store and saw it on sale for **$5.99/POUND**! (Having seen so many complaints and news stories about rising gas and food prices, I figured that the newly budget-conscious had stopped picking it up altogether.)

f-d-l

Hehe, that''s what I get for being in a Public Policy Ph.D. program, LOTS of economics.

Certainly a nice time to have a bit of extra cash though, since food staples are so expensive the "fancy" stuff is a steal!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Yum yum! I''ll have to go eat some lobster! I wish I could find it for $5.50. It''s pricey here in restaurants, too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
:::packing up shoes to move to Maine:::

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results