shape
carat
color
clarity

Good eczema cream?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I grew up with eczema and currently going through a flare up period. My elbows and behind the knees are especially sensitive and itchy and the scratching bugs me.

Any good suggestions on creams? I use La Roche Posay (can't think of the exact lotion right now..) but not working.

I would rather not revisit my MD for now...too many other things going on at the moment...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I use Webber first aid vitamin e ointment.

It's available at most pharmacies and not too expensive. Its supposed to help heal burns, but I use it for everything from removing eye makeup, to facial moisturizer, cuts and scrapes, dry skin. Amazing stuff.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been using Eucerin Eczema Relief Body Creme. Its a little on the greasy side but that's probably the point. I'm going to try what other posters have put up here. I have the behind-the-knee itchy spot and also around one heel. Elbows can be a spot too. Seems like its all the places I can miss when I put lotion/cream on.

I hope we all have good relief immediately!!!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When our babies had eczema, we had great results with the Aveeno oatmeal eczema lotion. Maybe you've already tried it...

Anne

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you are also using hydrocortisone, I would go for a hydrocortisone lotion. I have samples of Aquanil HC which works great for a bigger itchy patch.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
My 7 year old son has had the exact same thing (eczema, particularly on the backs of knees/elbows), and it will flare up in other spots sometimes too. His pediatrician told me years ago to just use hydrocortisone, and it has always worked perfectly. I apply it and then add some Vaseline on top - it always works very well. Simple, cheap, and effective :)

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
anne_h|1426122741|3845849 said:
When our babies had eczema, we had great results with the Aveeno oatmeal eczema lotion. Maybe you've already tried it...

Anne

This is what DH uses and it works well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really struggled with posting this because sometimes no good deed goes unpunished but my concern over the well being of you lovely people won over my worry about being skewered for posting this.

Please be careful of any steroid use including OTC topicals. Yes sometimes they are necessary as they might be the only choice but very often there are other choices that you might not be aware of. The second link is a short video that I recommend you watch.

http://forum.itsan.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=pqlcsfhqbf3qppju87fh20v056&topic=117.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7kmHe8aSs5s

My dh has pretty bad eczema and has found awesome relief with the moisturizer I posted in an above post. And there are many other great moisturizers and methods to try for eczema. So I am just posting as an fyi that one needs to be super careful with any topical steroids IMO and knowledge is power and that is why I posted. Not to change anyone's mind about topical (OTC and RX steroids) but rather to share some info and to point out there are other options. Many of which have been posted here.

Topical steroids are not without (in some cases major) risks. Personally just a couple of days of spot applying a topical Rx steroid to my face caused a huge outbreak of POD that I am still dealing with 4-5 months later.

Doctors are often unaware of this major potential risk. Yes hard to believe but very true.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1426122741|3845849 said:

Anne
I use this too. It heals my skin and my boys' skin. You must make sure you buy the eczema formula though.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
This may sound strange, but I use Polysporin (specifically, the one with 3 antibiotics and pain relief, with vitamin E) when it gets pretty bad.

The problem with scratching, and I know what it feels like to not be able to stop - is that it only makes the situation worse. The numbing agent (anaesthetic) in the Polysporin helps stop the itching sensation, and the antibiotics start to help cool the inflammation and minor infections you have with all those cuts down.

I know you shouldn't overuse antibiotics, but com'on - you really do have a bunch of cuts all the way up and down your arm. Sometimes, it is necessary. Give it a shot, and see how it works for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results