shape
carat
color
clarity

Girls, These are the 3 comments that you don't wanna hear..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
from your friends when you show them your newly engagement ring. It means they hate it!.. :bigsmile:

1-How unique.
2-That is very you.
3-Did he pick the ring?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Girls, These are the 3 comments that you don't wanna hea

I have heard an older woman tell a younger one that her ring looked cute. It didn't seem to bother the girl but I didn't like hearing her say it. Her tone also spoke volumes when she said it. Not a nice woman. The worst comment I have ever heard anyone say was a comment made to my SIL "Your your ring has flaws". The comment came from her future MIL.

ringmaven

Rough_Rock

Lol #1 and #2 were said to me a lot! But my ring IS very unique and very ME... So it's ok lol ;-)

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock

Hm, I've said #3 before but I didn't mean it in a bad way. I may have to rethink my wording now... :silenced:

My usual reaction is more like "ooo it's so pretty, tell me all about it, did he pick it out himself?" If they say yes, then I reply with "he did good - he's got great taste!" If they say they helped pick it out, then I reply with "I'm so happy you got exactly what makes you happy!"

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1430324812|3869692 said:
I have heard an older woman tell a younger one that her ring looked cute. It didn't seem to bother the girl but I didn't like hearing her say it. Her tone also spoke volumes when she said it. Not a nice woman. The worst comment I have ever heard anyone say was a comment made to my SIL "Your your ring has flaws". The comment came from her future MIL.

I would have said "So does your son, but I love him too."

I also got the "cute" comment one time. Anyone who's ever seen The Brick will vouch for the fact that it's anything BUT *cute."

WTF are people thinking sometimes?!?

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock

UrsTx|1430332190|3869746 said:
Hm, I've said #3 before but I didn't mean it in a bad way. I may have to rethink my wording now... :silenced:

My usual reaction is more like "ooo it's so pretty, tell me all about it, did he pick it out himself?" If they say yes, then I reply with "he did good - he's got great taste!" If they say they helped pick it out, then I reply with "I'm so happy you got exactly what makes you happy!"

I need to add: what makes me feel awkward, though, is the fact that I get really close to the jewelry/rings to see it in general. (1) I'm nearsighted so I have to get close to see things. (2) I love ALL jewelry and I enjoy seeing details like prong type, pave/melee styles, etc. - I'm not judging carat size or looking for inclusions.

Afterward I second guess myself for getting so close - what if they misinterpreted my looking so closely as meaning it's a small diamond and hard to see?

I try to hold back now and only get close to rings of good friends who know I like diamonds.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

Dancing Fire|1430319338|3869660 said:
from your friends when you show them your newly engagement ring. It means they hate it!.. :bigsmile:

1-How unique.
2-That is very you.
3-Did he pick the ring?

I disagree. I don't think of any of the above means the commenter dislikes the ring. #3 is a normal question to ask, especially among unmarried ladies. It's a curiosity about the process of engagement ring shopping. And as others have said, who cares what someone else thinks about your ring anyway?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

None of those would bother me. So many people come here asking for help finding or designing an unique ring - why would it be insulting?

Sorry, taking offense at those (unless there are some very specific situations going on) seems like looking for insult.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dancing Fire|1430319338|3869660 said:

1-How unique.
2-That is very you.
3-Did he pick the ring?
I have said all 3 of those things and it does not mean I hate it.
It is tone of voice that reveal the words real meaning.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Here is an example:
One time in my sisters hair salon a Lady had just got engaged and was showing everyone her ring.
One of the stylists said: wow its so big, congratulations.
Sounds like a compliment when written out but her tone of voice made several people mutter the B word.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Dancing Fire 's Top Three comments.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

1 & 2: i have never had anyone say either in a negative way and in response they get a thank you! yes, it is! I don't like wearing something that i'll see on everyone else. so astute of you to notice: tells me lots about you! admittedly, I am fortunate to live in an area that celebrates those that march to a different drummer...........

#3: no one ever says that to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results