shape
carat
color
clarity

Ghost hunters and electronic voice phenomena

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if I believe in this, but apparently Thomas Edison did. About once a year I freak myself out by listening to a few. Does anyone have any real life experience talking to ghosts?

http://www.mcmsys.com/~brammer/

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Uh, no.

I have lived with . . . somthing. By ignoring . . . it . . . I was able to "keep calm and carry on".

Had I taped it's EVP, and actually heard something, I would have had to move. Packing would have commenced immediately.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My DH watches Ghost Adventures. I hate that show. The EVPs never sound like anything to me. They always say "you can clearly hear the spirit is saying [fill in the blank]," but it just sounds like static to me. I could assign 100 different things to what they are claiming is a word/phrase.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
The website I linked has a page that they call "homeruns" that are audibly clear and intelligible, but a lot of the others aren't. I'd have to move out too. Two of my grandchildren love those ghosthunter shows and they freak me out.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The only one I trust is Ghost Hunters (boohoo, Grant has quit!). Some of theirs make me gasp. We had entities, I guess you'd call them, roaming around, occasionally playing little tricks on us, in the house I grew up in. Not scary if you realize they're just folks without bodies anymore. And they were there first & obviously loved the place too. We get creeped because it's the unknown.

Unfortunately when I was a kid I'd never heard of EVPs so never tried to get any. I've wished often now that I had!

--- Laurie

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
My Dad is a big kid and loves ghost hunting shows. So much so that he bought the evp equipment and those night vision cameras. FI owns a 100+ year old house and my Dad wants to bring his stuff over and test it out. Um, no thank you! I am in the process of moving in to that house and will be moving right back out if there is something creepy there. I still don't like going in the basement at night and make FI come down there with me when I'm doing laundry past dusk lol

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
We have a ghost in my house which I have seen several times. After I saw our ghost the first time I mentioned it to the woman that used to live here and she said she and her dog had also seen it.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1334673135|3173225 said:
We have a ghost in my house which I have seen several times. After I saw our ghost the first time I mentioned it to the woman that used to live here and she said she and her dog had also seen it.

Is it frightening? Do you know the history of the house or who she might be?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a man ( or was ). I have to admit was a little bit freaked out at first but not anymore because it never did anything scary. I was curious about who it might be and did do some research on my house but didn't come up anything ghost related.

As far as history the house was built in 1904. I did meet the people that lived here in the 1950s ( well they found me, long story). And I spoke to the woman who's grandfather built this house but they never lived in it. Found out this is the oldest neighborhood in the city and recently got historical status. It's two blocks from the San Francisco Mission Dolores and the Mission was built in 1776 there were native Americans living in the area. We've also found old horse shoes in the yard so at one time I guess there were horses back there :) Seems there have been a number of people coming and going in this area over the years and I may not be able to solve the mystery.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very cool, finding horseshoes. Neat as heck that you saw the guy; it always is a puzzle who it was. We lived in SF in the Avenues for 9 yrs, so I know just where you're talking about. Lots of dramatic history there.

I saw an apparition in our house too, several times. Short middle-aged man wearing overalls & some kind of cap. He always stood in front of the fireplace in my bedroom -- our house was built sometime around 1800 -- and stared in my direction. A couple times I asked if I could help him & he disappeared. Could have been a residual apparition, I don't know. There were other incidents that definitely indicated somebody interactive but not this fellow. Didn't scare any of us (one guest not included) -- they weren't harmful or negative, more playful than anything. Our mother said, "They were here before we were. It's their house too."

--- Laurie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1334703179|3173694 said:
Very cool, finding horseshoes. Neat as heck that you saw the guy; it always is a puzzle who it was. We lived in SF in the Avenues for 9 yrs, so I know just where you're talking about. Lots of dramatic history there.

I saw an apparition in our house too, several times. Short middle-aged man wearing overalls & some kind of cap. He always stood in front of the fireplace in my bedroom -- our house was built sometime around 1800 -- and stared in my direction. A couple times I asked if I could help him & he disappeared. Could have been a residual apparition, I don't know. There were other incidents that definitely indicated somebody interactive but not this fellow. Didn't scare any of us (one guest not included) -- they weren't harmful or negative, more playful than anything. Our mother said, "They were here before we were. It's their house too."

--- Laurie

How interesting. Don't you just love old houses! What state are you in now?
ETA: You were brave to try and speak to him. I'm sort of the don't want to get involved with my resident ghost type of person. LOL. Sounds like your mother has a very good way of looking at these things. She's right.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Now we're in North Carolina. (I hope Virginia within the next year or 2 if I can get DH to sign on. Would love to buy a small, old house there.) The house w/the spirits was in northern NY state, near Rochester.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results