shape
carat
color
clarity

Get off the F*@#ing phone!!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, let me start with the disclaimer that I do love that if needed, the smartphone offers amazing conveniences in modern day life.

However, I have long since ranted against texting/calling and driving (having been rear ended about 5 times in 3 years...or was it 6 times in 4 years...lost track) but wow...now medical professionals are texting and checking phones during procedures?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/07/opinion/greene-cell-phone-driving/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

And I was at the aquarium the other day with my kid. It was crowded. And things were slow moving because nearly EVERYONE was filming fish videos with their phones, thereby staying an extra 20-30 seconds longer than needed. What are you going to do with that crap footage? Share on facebook? Look at it at a later date? Because I can tell you right now, you WON'T.

Even more disturbing were kids who weren't looking at the exhibits with their EYES, but just filming with their phones and moving on.

My husband and I have already self banned any type of cell phone use in the car (even just talking). But I am making it a personal mission to not be on the phone dilly dallying in the presence of my kid, so that I focus more on enjoying time with her. This hasn't been a problem really, but if the phone goes off, I do look at it to see what emails are coming in. This also includes whipping it out for pics and videos. Try to see her through my own eyes more and not through the camera.

Have you tried to curb your own phone use?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1326144073|3098708 said:
What are you going to do with that crap footage? Share on facebook? Look at it at a later date? Because I can tell you right now, you WON'T.?
i lol'd at this one at my desk. Because I seriously could not agree more. I do have friends that put that crap on FB and it makes me mentally insane. Esp when no one comments on it or watches it. No one else wants to see that crap either!

I am actually TRYING to curb it. I definitely am good about it in the car. I usually don't touch it if I am not at a stop light. But usually I just leave it til I get where I need to get.

I will say this, I spent some time in two different ER's this weekend and if I hadn't had the phone I'd have lost my mind. My husband was the same way, I was thankful for his advancement of my Fruit Ninja game, even.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1326144641|3098722 said:
What are you going to do with that crap footage? Share on facebook? Look at it at a later date? Because I can tell you right now, you WON'T.?
i lol'd at this one at my desk. Because I seriously could not agree more. I do have friends that put that crap on FB and it makes me mentally insane. Esp when no one comments on it or watches it. No one else wants to see that crap either!

I am actually TRYING to curb it. I definitely am good about it in the car. I usually don't touch it if I am not at a stop light. But usually I just leave it til I get where I need to get.

I will say this, I spent some time in two different ER's this weekend and if I hadn't had the phone I'd have lost my mind. My husband was the same way, I was thankful for his advancement of my Fruit Ninja game, even.

Ame, I hope all is well and it wasn't anything serious? And I agree. There are times it's so nice to have. Waits in ERs. At the airport. And more.

I guess I am trying to use it for good, and not evil, hehehe.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I have! I was sat with my daughter painting, but realised that she was the one painting and I was checking my emails and looking through my itunes, I felt terribly guilty and now keep my phone on the dock on the dining room where I ignore it unless it rings. I'm glad I did it, I considered reverting to a regular mobile phone but I do really like the camera on my iphone and some of my apps are very useful.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and what about those at the red light that are so busy texting that they don't even notice that the light turned green and don't even move forward when honked at to move because they have to finish their text and then only their car gets through the light before its red again?!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1326145496|3098741 said:
and what about those at the red light that are so busy texting that they don't even notice that the light turned green and don't even move forward when honked at to move because they have to finish their text and then only their car gets through the light before its red again?!

I have seen a boy on a moped stopped at the lights doing this! Unbelievable.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1326145496|3098741 said:

My car is almost 5 years old with only 24K miles. So I don't drive much at all. And yet I use my horn almost every time I drive (which is usually about 5 miles around trip). It's alarming how many people just don't go at a greenlight.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1326144982|3098729 said:
ame|1326144641|3098722 said:

Ame, I hope all is well and it wasn't anything serious? And I agree. There are times it's so nice to have. Waits in ERs. At the airport. And more.

I guess I am trying to use it for good, and not evil, hehehe.
I made a thread, I hope nothing serious but someone else already replying that she knows my experience...that helps so much. I seriously was freaking the hell out on Friday, really all weekend. And not being taken seriously because I am "too young" did not comfort me. I am glad I went elsewhere today. They actually wanted to help me find the issue.

My "evil" side with my phone is when I spot someone with a...very interesting clothing or hairstyle choice...and I must keep it in my phone for posterity. Like the current hairstyle among some girls in HS that looks like a donald trump combover. WHY.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's out of control and agree 100%. It's got to stop. I see people that are totally clueless when driving...

It's ruining family dynamics. How many times do you see kids on their phones and not even indulging into convos with the family??

My kids are grown now. But when they are here and are here often ( thank god ) . If we sit down for dinner, or watch a movie, those freaking phones are on OFF. :devil:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, but then again, I guess, mine doesn't need to be curbed. It's illegal in my state to be on your phone (maybe a hands-free device is ok? I don't know) while driving. And, I guess, I'm just from a different generation than one that even imagined filming fish and not looking at them. :-o

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Ugh I feel your frustration I hate being out with friends and everyone is glued to their cellphones instead of engaging in conversation!DH is a particularly bad offender, he cannot put is blackberry down! When I was going through pics of our last vacation I saw more than half of the ones he was in he was looking at his phone or laptop. In fairness he always needs to be connected because of his job, but on the other hand if you're in the tropics on vacation the firm won't crumble if you don't respond within 5 minutes :rolleyes: I on the other hand rarely look at my phone around others unless I am expecting a specific call/email.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a smartphone. I don't even have a data plan, or texting. I carry DH's kindle w/ 3G and use it for email emergencies. it's a total PITA to use - which means I really *do* only use it for emergencies! DH and I also do not use our phones in any way while driving - whatever it is, it can wait.

My phone camera is terrible - I wouldn't ever consider actually using it for something I wanted to record. I do carry an actual camera with me pretty much everywhere though, so I'd probably have been photographing the fish too :halo:

DH and I were at dinner the other day at Olive Garden. There was a family of five next to us, mum and dad were talking and all three kids were glued to their iphones. It was - sad. On the plus side, it was also quiet 8)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree TG! I hate it too. I hate people calling me on my cell, outside of my immediate family. 4 people called me this morning and I was so annoyed. I don't mind if they text, but I don't want to talk on the phone. I don't answer when driving, and I sometimes yell at people when I am alone in my car when I see them doing it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phone use has become a nervous twitch, a security blanket, a social crutch for people. Everyone quit smoking and now satisfies their oral fixation by talking/texting instead. That's my theory, anyway. ;))

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Touching your phone while driving in Western Australia is an offense to the tune of $200. Brilliant. When we were back in the States for a portion of our honeymoon last year, we were floored to see that not only is it still legal there, but rampant. Our tour guides and taxi drivers were on their phones constantly; it made me very unconfortable. When I addressed it with a New Orleans tour guide, he got very high and mighty about people still having rights in America and they don't need Big Brother making any more laws to restrict people's freedoms further. He wouldn't entertain the idea that talking/texting while driving contributed to road fatalities. :nono:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't get it... my phone comes in handy when i need to touch base with DH or i'm waiting for an important email but i'm out and about. other than that, i don't get the love affair. half the time i don't even know where it is.

speaking to the idea of seeing phone use through the eyes of children, i was at the pediatrician's office today - he happened to tell the story of a three year-old boy who came in, picked up an etcha-sketch in the bin of toys, tried pressing around on it and when nothing 'came on' he declared that it was broken!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Texting is Worse than Drunk driving!!! ggggrrrrr. Just the other day I saw some guy rear end another driver because he was texting! :angryfire: I never ever text and drive or text and wait at a light; I seriously am not that important and neither is everyone else ;))

I think someones medical license needs to be revoked if they are texting and doing surgery!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paging TG ... paging TG to the high end sunglass thread (please return to your regularly scheduled phone thread, thank you)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1326153515|3098882 said:
Phone use has become a nervous twitch, a security blanket, a social crutch for people. Everyone quit smoking and now satisfies their oral fixation by talking/texting instead. That's my theory, anyway. ;))
I like that Monarch!! hahaha, so true!!!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1326153721|3098887 said:
Touching your phone while driving in Western Australia is an offense to the tune of $200. Brilliant. When we were back in the States for a portion of our honeymoon last year, we were floored to see that not only is it still legal there, but rampant. Our tour guides and taxi drivers were on their phones constantly; it made me very unconfortable. When I addressed it with a New Orleans tour guide, he got very high and mighty about people still having rights in America and they don't need Big Brother making any more laws to restrict people's freedoms further. He wouldn't entertain the idea that talking/texting while driving contributed to road fatalities. :nono:

Recent (and even not so recent) studies show that "hands-free" laws(as we have in the US) don't reduce crash rates... people are still completely distracted while driving. Phone or no phone in hand.

In Australia can you use a phone if you have a bluetooth or built in phone? or can you not talk at all?

I've read about these jamming devices that pretty much make your cellphone useless once you turn your car on and I think some form of that is the only real solution.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissPrudential|1326162277|3099011 said:
Recent (and even not so recent) studies show that "hands-free" laws(as we have in the US) don't reduce crash rates... people are still completely distracted while driving. Phone or no phone in hand.

In Australia can you use a phone if you have a bluetooth or built in phone? or can you not talk at all?

I've read about these jamming devices that pretty much make your cellphone useless once you turn your car on and I think some form of that is the only real solution.

I think there was a study done in Sweden that proves hands-free is just as dangerous as holding the phone.

They put people in an MRI or CAT scan machine thingie and were astonished to discover that part of the brain dedicated to VISION get very busy when people talked on a phone, hands-free or not.
That's right I said the brain's VISION section.
When the two people having the same conversation are both in the same room and a phone is not used the vision part of the brain did not light up.

There's something about speaking to someone who is not not visible or present.
I think it may be a primitive identify-friend-or-foe survival thing.
The brain is working hard and struggling to try to SEE the person we are speaking to.

This makes the brain less available to see that kid in the gray clothes at dusk who is about to run across the road.

I would totally support legislation to jam cellphones in cars.
Need to call 911? Pull over and stop your engine.
Innocent people are dying because of cellphone use.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I love my phone to pieces but did want to share a story re: doctors on the phone during procedures.

While I was in delivery, the on call doctor came in to the room on her cell phone. She washed her hands and did something else (gloves maybe) while on her cell, then sits in front of me and says "ok ok I gotta go about to deliver a baby". Then delivers and as she's dealing with the afterbirth, she has a nurse hold a cell to her head so that she can talk. I don't know what she was talking about, it sounded like she was chatting with her kid perhaps reprimanding him/her or making plans for the evening, she had that "mom" tone.

I will never forget that. Not ever. It was the weirdest thing. Luckily for me my nurse was so amazing and attentive. And luckily for the doctor I was too groggy from the meds to even yell out a WTF!

Anyway, I use my cell a lot. It is my only Internet source at home.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1326153515|3098882 said:

that is freakin' genius!!

re: phone usage i agree. it's so rampant. i have no problem hitting "ignore" when a call comes through at an inappropriate times (dinner, movies, generally any crowded or public place--though i have been the annoying person on the phone in the doctors waiting room on occasion). i have been known to take calls on my handsfree in the car, sometimes. i honestly don't drive much & live in an itty bitty town, so most calls can just wait till i get back home. but i also have a "dumb" phone & am an entirely unimportant person :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1326153721|3098887 said:

it makes sense to regulate it state by state like seatbelt use with the same rationale and hopefully the same results.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I am making it a personal mission to not be on the phone dilly dallying in the presence of my kid, so that I focus more on enjoying time with her. This hasn't been a problem really, but if the phone goes off, I do look at it to see what emails are coming in. This also includes whipping it out for pics and videos. Try to see her through my own eyes more and not through the camera.

Have you tried to curb your own phone use?

Good for you! This is one of my big gripes for any sort go mobile device... those times when a kid used to would have had a parent's undivided attention and now gets ignored in favor of the phone etc.

I don't yet have a cel phone. My parents are aging rapidly and it's getting to the point where I need to have a cel phone, so of course I'm tempted to just jump in and get a smart phone. But I spend way more time than I need to on my laptop, and when I see all those folks around me who seem to be unable to tear themselves away from their smart phones... I'm concerned that I might fall into that rabbit hole too!

ETA Monarch, I think your theory is spot-on.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Whom do people call all day long? Who do y'all know with leisure for hours on the phone? What on earth do you talk about for all that time? I've always wondered what the heck folks find to say or text! I feel weird because I phone somebody only when I have something to tell them, yak for a bit & then quit. Adds up to a few hrs a week. My cell phone doesn't text (if it does, I don't know how), doesn't take pics, doesn't do email. It calls people. Gawd, I sound like a dinosaur! :lol:

A friend used to phone me with absolutely n.o.t.h.i.n.g. to say -- there'd be long pauses while I heard her computer keys clicking. "So what's up?" I ask, hoping she had a reason to be on the horn. "Oh, nothing..." she answers...silence.... tap tap tap tap on her keyboard. I wanted to shout, "THEN WHAT THE #*$#*%*)%* are we doing here???" Drove me crazy!

I don't mean that question as critical -- am honestly curious what everybody finds to say.

--- Laurie

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never use my phone in the car. Ever. If there was some urgent reason to call or text someone I would pull over first. I see a lot of people on their phones while driving and it really annoys me. Don't put me and my children in danger because YOU can't put your phone away!

I hardly ever use my phone. I text my older kids (usually if they text me first) and will look up directions if we are getting lost. I do check my emails if i'm expecting something but mostly wait till i'm at home with my computer.

My niece (she is 21) was at a really posh hotel with her boyfriend for a weekend away. He had saved up for a while to be able to treat her. She was facebooking from the table in the restaurant and taking photos of her dinner!! I told her to put her phone away and enjoy the evening!

Phones are very useful. But not every minute of every day.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In Alberta, we have a distracted driving law recently put into effect. I have no idea what change it has had, or will have on peoples (cell phone use while driving) behavior.

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just read something, I need to find this article and post it, regarding how the government wants to require cell phone makers and car makers to put a "jammer" thing in all of their products so that no one CAN use the phone in the car. The issue is then you are stuck with a useless item if you DO have an emergency!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think devices that jam cellphones in cars is a great idea!
They will PREVENT a zillion billion jillion emergencies for every time someone can't call 911 while driving - which they could still do by simply pulling over and turning off the engine.

This Fear-Fear -Fear-what-if defective thinking reminds me of the arguments against mandating seat belts. "Oh, but what if there's a fire and you are trapped?"
For every life that's lost that way a zillion others will be saved by seat belts, same with ending ALL phone use in cars.

Sometimes laws for the greater good take away personal liberties, like your right to run red lights or drive on either side of the road.

I'd totally support phone-jamming devices in all vehicles, even if it jams passenger phones.
It is a small price to pay to end this new epidemic of 'drunk' drivers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results