shape
carat
color
clarity

Get off my lawn you kids!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The house behind me has some kids camping out in the yard. We moved here a year ago, but i cant remember seeing them enough to tell if they live there or are visiting like their grandparents or something.

Anyways, they are like 8 and 10 maybe? wandering around with an air soft gun and shooting animals. Im super annoyed at this. Last night a bunny was wandering though our yard/driveway and its back legs werent working, it was freaking out and dragging its legs around. No blood or broken bones from what i could see, im 90% certain these kids shot it. So completely terrible in my opinion. I could never hunt, but what i do know, is killing an animal is one thing, shooting it to severely injure it and leave it alive and in pain is something else though. I could rage! And they are wondering around there yard up to OUR treeline, looking for stuff to shoot at.

There is no supervision, they are just to kids wandering the yard shooting at birds. Birds I put out birdfeeders for because i love to see them at my house! Im fairly certain theres got to be some sort of city ordinance regarding it, but i dont know these kids or their family and i dont want to go yell at them. But come on!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

that poor little bunny got me so f'ing sad :evil:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you go knock on the door and tell the adults in the house what is going on - if they don't already know! If they don't make them stop, call the authorities. I could not stand by and watch kids torture animals and wouldn't stop until someone makes them stop.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this family is kind of hickish, and i am certain they know whats going on, so knocking on there door i dont think will do much.
My FI wants to call someone but we dont know if its actually illegal in city limits or not... i dont know. They were doing it this morning but have sense stopped. I am not sure what my next step will be. :confused:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't really know what an airsoft gun was until I looked it up - I definitely wouldn't want kids roaming around shooting these things by my house. And they could shoot each other! I read these guns can damage your eyes and break your teeth. No way they should be using them. I would definitely tell the parents, and then call the police if they don't do anything about it.

eta: Just read your response - I'd call the police and find out what the laws are - and if it turns out it's not illegal and the police can't do anything, I'd contact a child protection agency. Two kids running around shooting these guns unsupervised is just nuts!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
That's just sickening.

I think it's a "country thing" to post your property. At your local hardware store, I'd bet there's a bunch of signs that say "POSTED No Hunting No Trespassing". The yokels understand these signs, but don't really like them. But they do understand.

Buy a bunch and put them on the sides of several trees facing your neighbors. Put some low, around 8 year old eye level.

Then go over to the neighbors and tell them, "I saw your kids shooting into my posted property. It's posted no hunting, no trespassing. I'd appreciate it if you saw to it that they don't do that no more. Sure 'nuff. "

If you see the kids again, call the sheriff. He'll go over and reiterate it for you.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could try calling the local police department alot of city's do not allow airsoft guns (sorta like the BB guns in the day) to be shot within city limits. My son is a hugh airsoft shooter..he even has the AK47 that is automatic :rolleyes: my village does not allow shooting in the limits but we have a large backyard and a 2 acre field behind us so it is safe and we have not had any issue's however my son ONLY shoots at targets that we buy or he makes..shooting at animals is just horrible and cruel, I would take my son's guns away from him if he was doing that. My son started shooting airsoft guns around age 11, I think 8 and 10 is too young and we supervised our son till he got much older maybe around 13 or so, but we still check on him even at that age. I agree with you since they are unsupervised then talking to the parents probably wont do much good, but still I would check with the local police...good luck...and by the way those things do hurt, my older son who was much older shot his buddy on purpose to just to see what it felt like (the buddy agreed) and it left a bruise! (they were drinking lol, they were in the early 20's, they were being stupid) Good luck

ETA you are suppose to be 18 to buy these things, so the parent have probably bought the guns for them.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I'd just call the police. I definitely wouldn't make yourself known to this family. If the air soft guns are illegal for kids to possess, and/or illegal to harm animals, then the police will deal with it. If it's all fine and dandy for kids to shoot animals then there's not much you can do, I guess.

Can you call the ASPCA in your area for advice? They should be pretty well versed in the laws for your district.

Your story about the bunny is absolutely heartbreaking. I adore rabbits - they are actually my favourite animals of all. I am so, so sad about that poor little rabbit. I agree that it sounds as if the kids injured it. ;(

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It's against the law pretty much everywhere to shoot any type of gun in residential areas. Call the police. Don't tell then it's an airsoft gun, just say some kids in the next yard are shooting guns at animals.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg bunny my heart is breaking!!

(If you find it and it's still a live - see if there is a rabbit rescue or wildlife rescue in your area. Bunnies whose back legs have ceased working can sometimes through therapy have the usage come back, or can use a little trolley thing and drag themselves around by their front legs. However since it's a wild bunny it has probably already been eaten. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :(( :(( :(( so sad!)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1367678741|3440226 said:
this family is kind of hickish, and i am certain they know whats going on, so knocking on there door i dont think will do much.
My FI wants to call someone but we dont know if its actually illegal in city limits or not... i dont know. They were doing it this morning but have sense stopped. I am not sure what my next step will be. :confused:

Niel, please don't just make that assumption. In my opinion, as your next door neighbors, whether they are "hickish" or not, you owe it to them to give them the benefit of the doubt. They could be nice people who just never thought it would be bothering someone. I would go over and say something like "Hi, I see your kids are enjoying their airsoft guns. Could you please make sure they avoid using them near my property? I have bird feeders out and would not want the birds and other animals to be scared or accidentally injured. I would be so sad if anything happened to any of the animals." I would be really surprised that if you asked in a respectful manner they wouldn't comply. If they don't, then you've done what you can and can feel free to escalate it. Its just that I would hate for you to escalate it to law enforcement without first approaching them, as that could definitely be the start of an ugly neighbor relationship...

Good luck

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1367685784|3440277 said:
Niel|1367678741|3440226 said:

Niel, please don't just make that assumption. In my opinion, as your next door neighbors, whether they are "hickish" or not, you owe it to them to give them the benefit of the doubt. They could be nice people who just never thought it would be bothering someone. I would go over and say something like "Hi, I see your kids are enjoying their airsoft guns. Could you please make sure they avoid using them near my property? I have bird feeders out and would not want the birds and other animals to be scared or accidentally injured. I would be so sad if anything happened to any of the animals." I would be really surprised that if you asked in a respectful manner they wouldn't comply. If they don't, then you've done what you can and can feel free to escalate it. Its just that I would hate for you to escalate it to law enforcement without first approaching them, as that could definitely be the start of an ugly neighbor relationship...

Good luck

I agree with MB. I am SICK about that poor bunny, but think you owe it to the neighbors to give them a chance to deal with it themselves before escalating...good luck!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is DEFINITELY illegal anywhere I've lived to shoot animals within residential areas. We have people hunting deer out here often & police are called. Little kids like those should not have guns that can hurt anyone -- human or animal -- & I cannot picture the authorities allowing it.

Please call police whether or not you talk to the neighbors directly!! Honestly, if I ever saw anyone harming an animal, I'd probably end up in jail because I'd assault them with deadly intent without stopping to think about anything.

--- Laurie

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just call conservation law enforcement and not even bother with the adults in the house. They likely know what the kids are doing and don't care. I think anytime weapons are involved, it's appropriate to bypass usual channels and go straight to the authorities. There is no freaking way I would go knock on the door of someone who lets their little kids run around with guns, no thanks, not looking to get shot myself. (I grew up outside city limits, I completely understand what you're dealing with here.)

ETA: serial killers usually start out by torturing and killing animals, don't they? I have ZERO tolerance for anyone, of any age, who is cruel to animals. ZERO. People DO NOT VARY IN THIS SITUATION. :angryfire:

Snowy

Shiny_Rock
You need to contact the authorities and even though it sounds horrible, I would have taken pictures of the rabbit to show as evidence and called the authorities right then and there to see the bunny and put it out of it's misery or take to a vet. I think they would most likely put it down humanely instead of letting it suffer to death.

I would use the non emergency city police department line since I'm not sure of the local laws in your area. But I know in my area the police will most certainly confiscate it if being shot in public areas. It is certainly not legal in a lot of cities to just be shooting them around the neighborhood. If someone is walking by when they are shooting it or even if they completely miss and say shot into your property and hit an eyeball, they could lose their eye. I've seen some of those guns have the pellets go straight through metal in close proximity. Not to mention I know the ones I've seen use lead pellets which are not safe at all to be consumed by local animals or be handled by skin.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more I think about it, something about this has to be illegal - either it being in a residential area, the ages of the kids, the fact they're unsupervised, shooting at animals etc. I think monarch and others make good points...I don't think I'd want to deal with these parents either. I really don't think you'd get anywhere, and if you call authorities after talking to them they'll know it was you anyway. I would just call the non-emergency number of the police and see what your options are. Geez, in my neighborhood some people call the cops over a barking dog or a late-night pool party. I can't imagine how they'd react to this! :errrr:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is illegal to hunt rabbits in a residential zone. Shooting rabbits with any firearm is illegal in a residential zone. Call the fish and game warden on them. If it isn't rabbit season, and the boys' father doesn't have a hunting license, all the more trouble.

We did this with a neighbor who kept shooting squirrels with his pellet gun. He was visited by the police and the warden. No more shooting, and told if he did again, he would be fined heavily.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I can't help but wonder what's being done for the rabbit? Sounds like it has some serious injuries :blackeye: Poor thing isn't going to be able to survive without use of it's legs. Niel, I hope you go talk to the neighbours, maybe with your SO? Bring your baby too and let them know you want to make sure it's safe for your child to be outside. What if those kids hurt a bystander?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Aside from being just plain awful for the animals involved, extensive studies have shown correlations between children that kill or torture animals and adults that become violent and even serial killers. In fact children that abuse animals are five times more likely to grow up to abuse humans according to a study involving the SPCA and North Eastern University. That study encouraged any parent that witnesses their child shooting at or harming animals to immediately seek psychiatric help for that child.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1367701156|3440413 said:
Aside from being just plain awful for the animals involved, extensive studies have shown correlations between children that kill or torture animals and adults that become violent and even serial killers. In fact children that abuse animals are five times more likely to grow up to abuse humans according to a study involving the SPCA and North Eastern University. That study encouraged any parent that witnesses their child shooting at or harming animals to immediately seek psychiatric help for that child.

EXACTLY.

There is a huge difference between children who are taught to responsibly hunt, and children who are encouraged (or at least not DIS-couraged) to be cruel to animals by just shooting random critters for the hell of it. I am so disgusted by this situation, reading about that poor rabbit just enraged me.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I have two boys and know a lot of kids around the ages you're talking about and air soft guns are VERY common and they are NOT the same as firearms. They do have to be purchased by someone over the age of 18, though, but they are commonly played with by regular kids, not just "hickish" kids or whatever you're trying to imply. I live right outside a large city and tons of kids use air soft guns, but they use them properly...Are the kids wearing masks? They should be wearing something similiar to the following:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12067312&cp=&sr=1&kw=air+soft+mask&origkw=air+soft+mask&parentPage=search

This mask is what protects the kids from hurting themselves. It's extremely important and aside from the bunny issue, the parents (or guardians) should provide the kids with these. If they're not wearing them, call CPS or the police! A kid could loose an eye.

Also, another issue is these can take out a window so they shouldn't be used in a house, at all. They are okay out in the woods...with proper safety equipment.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think part of the problem is that Niel did not witness them shooting the rabbit - it would've been a much more clear cut situation if she had. Although it does sound like they likely shot the poor rabbit, they can deny it. If the guns are not illegal, then where does that leave Niel? Its probably a good idea to call the local authorities (on the non-emergency number) and inquire as to the use of airsoft guns - who can use them, where they can use them and what, if any, limitations exist for their use (like children are not allowed without supervision or some such) as MC has mentioned.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1367708096|3440457 said:
Hi,
I have two boys and know a lot of kids around the ages you're talking about and air soft guns are VERY common and they are NOT the same as firearms. They do have to be purchased by someone over the age of 18, though, but they are commonly played with by regular kids, not just "hickish" kids or whatever you're trying to imply. I live right outside a large city and tons of kids use air soft guns, but they use them properly...Are the kids wearing masks? They should be wearing something similiar to the following:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12067312&cp=&sr=1&kw=air+soft+mask&origkw=air+soft+mask&parentPage=search

This mask is what protects the kids from hurting themselves. It's extremely important and aside from the bunny issue, the parents (or guardians) should provide the kids with these. If they're not wearing them, call CPS or the police! A kid could loose an eye.

Also, another issue is these can take out a window so they shouldn't be used in a house, at all. They are okay out in the woods...with proper safety equipment.

I am from the country. Before i moved here last year i was all dirt roads, drive your tractor to school days, cant see neighbors type country.... I shot guns sense the age of about 9. I do not think these people are "hickish' because they have guns. I think they are hickish because they have appliances in their yard and in the year ive lived here they have never mowed their lawn. Also, they own two dogs that they do not do anything with (which i also have a problem with), and leave in a smallish cage all night to bark at every living thing (and do nothing about it). I wasnt insulting people with gun, it was a comment about preteens with guns and no supervision shooting MY lovely little woodland creatures :halo:

I did not see them shoot the bunny which of course is why i didnt accuse them of it to the adults. what i did see was them walking my tree line with the gun pointed up at the trees and shooting at things. Then wandering around the yard looking at the ground with the gun... Sense this morning i havent seen them do it again so i havent had an opportunity. One of our other neighbors was talking to my SO today about it actually, said they are uncomfortable with it too, and will probably have to say something. I think my SO and him will probably take are of it if we see it again.

I tried to help the bunny, I got a box and tried to put it in it with gloves, but the bunny kept spinning and flipping out and seemed to be hurting itself more. So i decided to let nature take its course. We have a pretty wooded area with out any real predators to eat the bunny, so I dont think it getting eaten was inevitable.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exuse me? What happened to the rabbit? Please tell me you shot it and put it out of its misery.

This whole story is atrocious.

The children need to stop. The adults need to be confronted. You need to kill the rabbit,

:nono:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1367718831|3440522 said:
MC|1367708096|3440457 said:
Hi,

I am from the country. Before i moved here last year i was all dirt roads, drive your tractor to school days, cant see neighbors type country.... I shot guns sense the age of about 9. I do not think these people are "hickish' because they have guns. I think they are hickish because they have appliances in their yard and in the year ive lived here they have never mowed their lawn. Also, they own two dogs that they do not do anything with (which i also have a problem with), and leave in a smallish cage all night to bark at every living thing (and do nothing about it). I wasnt insulting people with gun, it was a comment about preteens with guns and no supervision shooting MY lovely little woodland creatures :halo:

I did not see them shoot the bunny which of course is why i didnt accuse them of it to the adults. what i did see was them walking my tree line with the gun pointed up at the trees and shooting at things. Then wandering around the yard looking at the ground with the gun... Sense this morning i havent seen them do it again so i havent had an opportunity. One of our other neighbors was talking to my SO today about it actually, said they are uncomfortable with it too, and will probably have to say something. I think my SO and him will probably take are of it if we see it again.

I tried to help the bunny, I got a box and tried to put it in it with gloves, but the bunny kept spinning and flipping out and seemed to be hurting itself more. So i decided to let nature take its course. We have a pretty wooded area with out any real predators to eat the bunny, so I dont think it getting eaten was inevitable.

You shot a firearm at the age of 9? There is a huge difference between a firearm and an airsoft gun. Your reply consists entirely of the word "gun" now, not "airsoft gun." They are entirely different as all a kid needs is a mask and a puffy coat and jeans and with appropriate supervision and the proper location and they can be safe and so can everyone around them.

Like I said, I know a lot of boys who use AIRSOFT guns, not firearms, but they are only used in certain places, like little areas of woods. I do know, after WATCHING my kids while they played and talking to neighbors, that our subdivision has a clear-cut rule that kids aren't to shoot the airsoft while walking down the street and the police will be called in.

It's actually pretty much common sense. If you live in a neighborhood and kids are shooting the airsoft guns, unsupervised, that the police should be called, especially if they're harming animals or not wearing proper mask.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes a gun.

I said it to make a point to you that i dont think they are hicks for using an airsoft gun, but they were hicks that happened to also be using airsoft guns. It didnt have anything to do with this story in particular, you just seemed to take offense to the fact i referred to my neighbors as such, so i wanted you to maybe understand i wasnt insulting people just for having guns; trying to illustrate I understand and have been a part of that community. I was trying to explain that based on numerous unrelated things about this family even before this incident, i had already surmised they were hicks

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just wanted to vent about seeing a hurt animal and irresponsive neighbors. Thanks to all who understood. :wavey:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1367776919|3440762 said:
yes a gun.

I said it to make a point to you that i dont think they are hicks for using an airsoft gun, but they were hicks that happened to also be using airsoft guns. It didnt have anything to do with this story in particular, you just seemed to take offense to the fact i referred to my neighbors as such, so i wanted you to maybe understand i wasnt insulting people just for having guns; trying to illustrate I understand and have been a part of that community. I was trying to explain that based on numerous unrelated things about this family even before this incident, i had already surmised they were hicks

Actually, I don't care about your neighbors...it just sounded like airsoft = hick, which isn't the case in the world today (and really, it is BETTER for the kids to be outside and active rather than in front of an Xbox, but they should be supervised...I'm a strict parent, though, when it comes to airsoft...that is why my kids only play w/theirs every few months - because I set up very firm rules).

The yard issues/appliance mess is probably something you should take up with the health department OR call animal control about the dogs. Sounds like your neighbors aren't very involved in tending to anything and you're annoyed by it all. Take charge and do something about their mess ;))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
To be fair, I really don't think that one could assume that the injured bunny is a result of the children shooting it. There's no way to tell. Wild animals are injured all the time. Having said that, I'd be annoyed too if I thought that children in my neighborhood were harming wildlife. If I truly felt that they were causing harm, I'd knock on the door and politely speak to the parents (or whoever). The other option would be to call the police (maybe a non-emergency number) the next time you actually see the children with the "guns" and report them. It's probably enough of an incident that the proper authorities would at least go and investigate.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1367870449|3441489 said:
To be fair, I really don't think that one could assume that the injured bunny is a result of the children shooting it. There's no way to tell. Wild animals are injured all the time. Sure, I'd be annoyed too if I thought that children in my neighborhood were harming wildlife. If I truly felt that they were causing harm, I'd knock on the door and politely speak to the parents (or whoever). The other option would be to call the police (maybe a non-emergency number) the next time you actually see the children with the "guns" and report them. It's probably enough of an incident that they would at least go and investigate.

Sensible approach - not to assume and to take action, one way or the other. :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about this over the weekend, and this ugly thought popped up in my head; If the kids did purposely injure the bunny, you should know that animal cruelty in children is an early sign of psychosis. And psychosis tends to run in families.

So, be Miss Suzy Sunshine if and when you ever visit over there.

Or just put the bunny out of it's misery and hope it never happens again. :|

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results