shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun Competition: Guess the Value of My Ring

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
So, I've just renewed the insurance for the year, including jewellery insurance. My husband bought my engagement ring at Long's Jewelers in 2004 in Boston, but we have no paperwork today except a photocopy of the AGS certificate, which was torn in half by mistake, courtesy of my husband. Right now, Long's is having a sale on their appraisals. It's sixty dollars and they include a whole package - laminated photos, certs, the works. Not sure how many people know of the New England chain of Long's but it's very high-end, so I'm sure their gemologist will be top-notch. Anyway, what with the insurance and everything, it seemed a great opportunity to refresh the ring's paperwork.

So, would anybody like to guess what the value of the ring will be?? If anybody guesses correctly to within $100, I'll take that photo that people have asked me about in the past - the requests to see my entire DBTY collection all together at once! (I've got twenty DBTY pieces.)

Here are the ring's stats: It's 0.70 ctw, set in a thick, high platinum half-bezel. The ring was a stock item at Long's, I think, but the bezel head was hand-made in England. It's an I colour, SI1 clarity, AGS cut triple 000. It scores 1 on the HCA. It's a Hearts on Fire diamond. Do not get on the HoF website and try to figure it out. That's not playing fair! If I suspect foul play and wicked intent...no DBTY!

Here's a link to my ring:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hearts-on-fire-0-70-i-color-si2-platinum-engagement-ring.171783/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hearts-on-fire-0-70-i-color-si2-platinum-engagement-ring.171783/[/URL]

In the link it says the ring is Si2 but I was mistaken - the AGS torn-in-half certificate says Si1.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Ok without looking up comps, I'd guess that the diamond would cost $3,800 to replace today (assuming a brand premium) and the setting would be $2,000 so I'll put my estimate at $5,800.

I never usually participate in the guess the value/size threads but I really would love to see your DBTY collection! :)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for playing, RB! I haven't seen any other guess-the-value threads. I actually really like playing those guessing games because it's like testing your knowledge, so I'd take part, but I never see any!

I said to my husband that I was "taking my ring for its physical" tomorrow! :lol: Must get the ultrasonic out so it looks its best, and also find the torn-up AGS certificate, tape it together and re-photocopy it. Bit of a pain! My husband said that Long's only gave him the photocopy, not the original AGS cert. :confused:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just post a bunch of numbers in increments of 100? ;-)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1373216033|3478570 said:
Can I just post a bunch of numbers in increments of 100? ;-)

You could, but then I'd have to suspect you of wicked intent and there would be no DBTY photos. And then you'd be responsible for making the whole class suffer! :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps Long's has changed since I have lived in New England but I would not call it high end by any means. I would say it is nicer then Zales, Kay's etc but it is still a chain mall store similar to a Baileys. Now with that in mind I'm guessing around $7800 because the other rings that I have seen sold from there with a similar mark up.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going with $8750 since it is an appraisal value and not a replacement value.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I say ... $8600. I'm curious! And eager to see those DBTYs!!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to help you out a bit or that DBTY photo will never happen! Remember that Hearts on Fire is more expensive than Tiffany (which I double-checked today by looking at their prices too)...costing up the same-specs ring on the HoF website, even with the plainest 4-prong head instead of a custom hand-forged head, still makes it quite a bit higher than the highest estimate so far...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$9525

(I feel like we are bidding on "the price is right")

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Just based on past searches on ebay of hearts on fire diamonds

$8,995 - diamond
$3,995 - setting

$12,990

And knowing appraisals tend to be inflated, I will say

$16,000

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ve-ry interesting...

I have no idea if it would cost more to buy from Long's than direct from Hearts on Fire. When it was bought, I think HoF did not sell direct to the consumer. The document I'm getting is to be used in the event of an insurance claim - at least, if I were to lose the ring, this paperwork is what I'd submit. Not sure of the difference between an appraisal and a replacement cost estimate. They SHOULD be roughly the same.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1373227174|3478659 said:
$9525

(I feel like we are bidding on "the price is right")

:lol:

I have no idea what they'll say. I mean, I know how much my HoF diamond and plain setting costs from HoF, but like I said above, retail mark-up??

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
Based on what I think it's likely worth at a retail level + how much the appraisal on my ring was inflated, I say $11,900

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks JM!

I'm getting the appraisal tomorrow so I'll be sure to let you all know what it says.

I'd just like to point out, in slight embarrassment, that I had zero input into the engagement ring so I had nothing to do with buying something as overpriced as HoF!! Some of the later estimates are more in the ballpark, but you can get a 0.70 Signature I colour Si1 in a platinum half bezel from Blue Nile for $4,300!

Crazy, crazy prices.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
$13,250 , just for fun.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
$14,227!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be smart to insure for what it would cost to replace with an equivalent diamond and setting. HOF is not better than WF ACA or other hearts and arrows stones, so you could replace with like quality without overpaying your insurance premiums. I got WF ACA's at .80 each, H VS2 for under $4000 each. Inflated insurance appraisals only benefit the insurance company.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This seems like too much mathematics unless we win one of the DBTY items. :cheeky:

I'll say $10,350.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actual Retail Diamond only $3000.00 to $3500.00 Insurance Appraisal $7000.00 to $7500.00 for the stone only.
Insurance value of Platinum setting around $1000.00.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
DS - thanks for your reply. I have a blanket Valuable Articles policy with Chubb in addition to my homeowners policy, which is also with Chubb. The homeowners does cover jewellery up to $5k...but the Valuables Articles is a separate Chubb policy that covers my jewellery, rare books and china.

The blanket coverage means that no itemization of items, appraisals or paperwork are required; in the event of a loss I just tell them what the lost item is worth, and they write me a cheque. The insured amount is set by me, so let's say my jewellery is 100 items worth 1k each, so 100k collectively. I might choose to insure half of it to keep premiums down. So 50k would be the amount shown on the policy. But in the event of a catastrophic loss, I can choose which 50 of the 100 items to replace. It's a movable feast. In other words, whether the ring appraises for 1k or 15k, I'd still be paying the same umbrella premium since no appraisals are required. I'm currently claiming on a lost piece. I just found something similar online and sent them the link, and Chubb is sending me a cheque.

I'm just getting the appraisal because our paperwork on the ring is so out of date and the jeweller has lowered prices on the appraisal. Since it's my most significant piece of jewellery, I'd just like to have proper paperwork for it, you know?

And to the cheeky monkey who asked about winning a piece of DBTY - no you don't!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1373270317|3478910 said:
DS - thanks for your reply. I have a blanket Valuable Articles policy with Chubb in addition to my homeowners policy, which is also with Chubb. The homeowners does cover jewellery up to $5k...but the Valuables Articles is a separate Chubb policy that covers my jewellery, rare books and china.

The blanket coverage means that no itemization of items, appraisals or paperwork are required; in the event of a loss I just tell them what the lost item is worth, and they write me a cheque. The insured amount is set by me, so let's say my jewellery is 100 items worth 1k each, so 100k collectively. I might choose to insure half of it to keep premiums down. So 50k would be the amount shown on the policy. But in the event of a catastrophic loss, I can choose which 50 of the 100 items to replace. It's a movable feast. In other words, whether the ring appraises for 1k or 15k, I'd still be paying the same umbrella premium since no appraisals are required. I'm currently claiming on a lost piece. I just found something similar online and sent them the link, and Chubb is sending me a cheque.

I'm just getting the appraisal because our paperwork on the ring is so out of date and the jeweller has lowered prices on the appraisal. Since it's my most significant piece of jewellery, I'd just like to have proper paperwork for it, you know?

And to the cheeky monkey who asked about winning a piece of DBTY - no you don't!!

Ah, blanket coverage is THE best coverage of all when one can access it! We have homeowner's with another company and did not want to change to Chubb, so I have the other kind of Chubb jewelry policy where the items covered are listed and we pay premiums based on the value of the items. I have many things that are uninsured, so a blanket policy like that would be so wonderful! Thank you for explaining that!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some how I missed that it was an HOF stone!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Apparently it will take about a week to mail the appraisal! So I don't have an answer yet.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I want to see pictures! Your collection sounds great!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Arkieb's guess was closest. The appraisal came out at 11k, which doesn't seem inflated as the diamond and plain plat ring sells for $9500 on the HOF website, plus creating the platinum hand-forged semi-bezel head, which is quite high and thick, plus tax. So if I wanted to rebuild the exact same ring tomorrow, it would indeed cost 11k.

I'm going to hold off on the family DBTY shot for a couple of weeks because I might be getting some more silver and rhodonite cabochon DBTY pieces at Tiffany in the Mass tax-free weekend. I won't forget though - promise. Enerchi particularly wanted to see the family all together, I seem to remember!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1373307378|3479169 said:
Smith1942|1373270317|3478910 said:

Ah, blanket coverage is THE best coverage of all when one can access it! We have homeowner's with another company and did not want to change to Chubb, so I have the other kind of Chubb jewelry policy where the items covered are listed and we pay premiums based on the value of the items. I have many things that are uninsured, so a blanket policy like that would be so wonderful! Thank you for explaining that!

Blanket coverage is really good, DS, you're right. Honestly, it's worth changing your homeowner's to Chubb at next renewal time in order to get it, IMHO. (I might be wrong, but I think you have to have Chubb homeowner's to get the blanket policy.)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1375122683|3492557 said:
Arkieb's guess was closest. The appraisal came out at 11k, which doesn't seem inflated as the diamond and plain plat ring sells for $9500 on the HOF website, plus creating the platinum hand-forged semi-bezel head, which is quite high and thick, plus tax. So if I wanted to rebuild the exact same ring tomorrow, it would indeed cost 11k.

I'm going to hold off on the family DBTY shot for a couple of weeks because I might be getting some more silver and rhodonite cabochon DBTY pieces at Tiffany in the Mass tax-free weekend. I won't forget though - promise. Enerchi particularly wanted to see the family all together, I seem to remember!

:wavey: Ya BABY!!! Why are you torturing us and making us wait??? Why SMith, Why???
(I'm being little Cindy Lou Who in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" - why santy claus, why?? :lol: ) Is it because there is a light that won't light on one side??? omg.. I love that Christmas classic, now I'm going to have that stuck in my head.... "YA WHO DORAY, Ya who dorAY, welcome welcome every one...."

But awesome news about your appraisal and Congrats to ARkieB!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results