shape
carat
color
clarity

frustrating career choices for an LIW

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pannini

Shiny_Rock
hi everyone, so i've been mostly posting in SMTR and rockytalky, but recently decided to branch out and hangout with you lovely ladies and gents.

basically, felt like venting my frustrations in being unemployed and in limbo academically. i've reached a point in my life at the age of 30, that a career is mandatory. my boyfriend is successful as a chemical engineer, and working hard, moving up the ladder in his field. in contrast, i am still trying to get back into things. i am running out of time (as i get older, my lack of skills look worse), and i need to figure this out fast. i am coming to my friendly PSers here for some guidance or support.

if you don't mind my sharing my personal story....

a little over a year ago i was a litigation secretary at a small law firm for about 2 years. the law firm shut down permanently (not enough clients, some billing issues, etc) and we were all laid off. i knew i didn't want to continue my career as a legal admin, mostly because the position fell into my lap after graduating from college with a BA in Psychology. i entered the firm as a receptionist, moved my way up to file clerk, etc. the pay was decent so i just kept doing it. now that i'm unemployed, i wished i made wiser decisions when they offered me the secretary position. so here i was with a huge open path before me.

i decided that i had the chance to go back to school and get my masters in industrial/organizational psychology or organizational behavior, and finally jump start my career in the field. i started volunteering for a local university with research and established a great relationship with the professor. i applied to 3 programs, rejected by 2, waitlisted by 1. (i am still WAITING for their decision)

in the meantime, i've been frantically looking for employment. i've applied everywhere and for mostly admin work, or entry level HR and marketing work. it is so competitive out here in SF, CA so i get a few interviews, but no success. i've come to accept the fact that i may not get in to the waitlisted school, so i am desperate to get started in a career that fits my interests.

i've narrowed it down to

HR/consulting (stable, psychology related, working with adults is preferred)
Education in a Mandarin immersion school (I am highly interested in cross cultural education, and I am bilingual)
Counseling ( I do have a psych degree, after all, but I am worried about the emotional baggage from the sessions)

my questions are aimed at my fellow PSers, if you are in the fields listed above, how you got there and what you may advise in getting into it.

if i don't have the experience, how do i start?
if i don't have the education, would a certificate be effective? i see programs in HR certification or course sequences....

family members have told me not to reapply next fall because at this point, i just need to start working in a place that will offer me sure growth potential. i feel so incompetent these days.
15.gif
15.gif
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results