shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking myself out...need advice/support

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! About a month ago my FF and I decided to purchase an emerald cut diamond from James Allen that is absolutely beautiful. However after having it got a little while and continuing to look around on PriceScope for setting ideas I have slowly come to realize I might not be 100% able to commit to this diamond and have been looking at radiant cuts more and more. My dilemma is if I can bring myself to send back my original diamond in exchange for a radiant cut, or is it normal to have mixed feelings about a diamond. What puts more pressure on me is that I know that whatever diamond I end up with is "the one" because my FF is pretty sentimental about not upgrading an engagement diamond which I agree with. So basically I'm driving myself crazy which is totally unlike me as I am a very decisive person for everything except my engagement diamond! FF just wants me to be happy and is fine with exchanging the diamond within the return period (which is ending soon on top of it all!) I guess I'm just looking for any advice/ similar stories from people who I know will understand what I'm going through. Thanks for reading my essay and hope to hear from my fellow PSers soon!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Hit report concern button on the right hand and ask mods to move this to RT. I think you will get more responses.

First I would contact JA and see if they can extend the return period.
Have you seen radiants in person? If not then I would look at some before you return your current stone.
Breathe everything is fine and many ppl on PS have changed their diamond, wedding rings, upgrades etc. I get your FI is sentimental but what really matters is your love for each other. I think many men say no to an upgrade but after a few years they become very open to it so don't worry about this being your forever stone unless YOU want it be.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like the pressure of this being the "one and only" e-ring is a bit much to bear! {{{Hugs}}}

I would suggest contacting JamesAllen, telling them about your dilemma, seeing if they could help you select a potential radiant cut, ship it out for you to play with for a few days, and work with you on extending the return period a bit?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting makes a HUGE difference in how you view the stone. For instance I had a beautiful AVC in a plain solitaire and since I didn't like the setting I didn't think I liked the stone. But - I had it reset, and it looks so beautiful now I can't imagine ever doubting it.

How is your EC currently set?

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. In regards to setting its still loose so nothing is really skewing my perception of the stone itself.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you are having doubts then it probably isn't the one. Talk to JA. Would you like for us to recommend some
Radiants? If so, let us know your specs and budget.

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Yes tyty333 what you said is exactly what I'm worried about! im just very nervous that if I'm feelimg unsure already that its a sign that its not "the one" yet. :errrr:
I'm looking for a diamond within the $11,000 to 12,000 range. Color doesn't concern me too much as my current EC is a K and looks white to me. However I am aware that radiants concentrate color (apparently so do step cuts though). Clarity is important to me I would like it to be as clear as possible. Fluorescence is a positive for me. I would like a diamond as close to 2 carats as possible. I know it's a tall order for the budget which is why we pounced on the EC as quickly as we did. Once again I would love any and all suggestions that anyone may have! Thank you again to everyone that has chimed in so far!

lexarose

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Its been a while since I updated this thread but long story short I ended up talking to our James Allen sales associate and sending back my EC in order to see a comparable radiant cut (2.06 carat J color vvs2 clarity) before making a final decision. The radiant came and while it was very beautiful (and sparkly!) I found myself almost instantly missing the steps and concentric patterning of my EC. I also found that the J color radiant held on to a lot more tint than the K color EC to both my FF and I. The people at JA were nice enough to hold the EC while I took a couple of days to make my decision, paid for all the shipping of both diamonds to and from...they were just really great about the whole thing. So now my mind is much more at ease with keeping the EC and an appointment has been made to go see possible settings at Engagement Rings Direct in mid-September as was recommended by someone in my other thread. I'm very excited about this and will be taking plenty of pictures of the EC sitting in a couple of different settings once we go see them! Thank you again to everyone for their support and help during my mini freak-out!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad it worked out for you. I am working with ERD to make a setting also.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update! So glad you are at peace with your decision and are back in love with your EC!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes the best decisions are the ones that take a while.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results