shape
carat
color
clarity

Found a homemade cat food recipe my cat will eat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One full chicken breast (2 halves)chopped into 1 cm chunks
3 Tablespoons brown rice. (you can do four)
2 small pieces or one large piece of chicken liver.

Cook chicken and rice for an hour or two... slowly. With enough water to cover (as rice flowers you will need to add water). Then add in liver. Cool 15 minutes. Some small amount of salt. Should have an oatmeal porridge consistency when done.

Use hand mixer to cream everything together. Chill till cool/ cold. Serve.

All of mine eat it. And they've been fussy little beasts.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Not to thread-jack, but I think it''s important that people know this:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/05/02/pet.food.poultry/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Chicken has now been tainted as well. They say the risk to humans is "very low", but what about our pets?
7.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for this thread Gypsy. If this recall thing gets too much worse it''s definitely something for me to consider. I''d have to make sure the food was low magnesium though - FLUTD concerns.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CHICKEN is tainted now?

Okay. SO must try with Turkey. Would work just as well. Turkey liver is going to be a challenge to get though. Maybe I'll use a little calves liver instead. Oy.

I'm trying a different fish stew either tonight or tomorrow. Will post if any of that works out.

Oh I have long grain white rice I used too, and they liked that too. So feel free to substitute.

I'm so glad I'm cooking for them.

FG-- I don't know about the magnesium levels of this at all.

Are you feeding Holly kitten food BTW... or Chloe's food?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 5:57:53 PM
Author: Gypsy

CHICKEN is tainted now?

Okay. SO must try with Turkey. Would work just as well. Turkey liver is going to be a challenge to get though. Maybe I''ll use a little calves liver instead. Oy.

I''m trying a different fish stew either tonight or tomorrow. Will post if any of that works out.

Oh I have long grain white rice I used too, and they liked that too. So feel free to substitute.

I''m so glad I''m cooking for them.

FG-- I don''t know about the magnesium levels of this at all.

Are you feeding Holly kitten food BTW... or Chloe''s food?
I was feeding Holly regular canned Wellness food. I had no idea she was still technically a kitten?!....or at least that young. I mentioned Chloe is on Hills XD for oxalate stone issues and asked if Holly could eat that. The vet said the dry would be okay if I had to but it would be better to give Holly normal wet food as much as possible. I know Chloe prefers the Wellness wet food to the XD wet, that''s for sure. The vet said Holly was old enough to stop eating kitten food and start eating regular food - but I doubt she ever ATE kitten food, poor thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Great that you checked with your Vet. Our Frodo had problems gaining weight, and so did Hally (though you can''t tell from looking at them now) and we kept them on kitten WET food until they were one-- but we fed them dry adult at 6 months. But we checked with our vet regarding that. As long as the vet says it''s okay to switch to regular for Holly, no worries. You are a GREAT cat momma FG.
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heehee thanks. They''re like my kids.
5.gif
I know you know how that is too.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup! But it''s always nice to meet like minded people.
2.gif

I''ll post other recipes as I find out what the finky little pests will eat. LOL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another HIT!

Okay this one is more complicated ... and you're going to think I'm nuts.

1/4 cup white long grain basmati rice.

2.5 oz of fresh salmon WITH SKIN.

4 oz of fresh firm white fleshed fish (I used Basa... but flounder, snapper, talapia would work as well).

1 can of salt free tuna a( I buy Trader Joes chunk light in the pink can).

1/2 a pound of jumbo (I used fresh water 16 count per pound) or extra large shrimp WITH SHELLS.

Water.

And a small amount of salt.

SO... I boiled the rice in and the shrimp, shell on, in about 3-4 cups of water. I cooked them together about 15-20 minutes on medium so that the shell flavor really permeates the broth. Then I fished the shrimp out of the water and put them in the fridge to cool. In the meantime I put the salmon and Basa in the water and turned the heat down to medium low. After about a half hour I put the shrimp back in... without their shells this time (discarded the shells). Then I cooked it all together for about an hour or until the rice had turned porridgey and the water had boiled down. I added some salt and turned off the heat. Let it cool on the burner for about a 30 minutes... then added the tuna- whole can with water. Then I pulled out my handy hand blender and whipped it all. It looks like a thick smooth oatmeal when it's done. Then I cooled it till room temperature in the freezer and THEY ATE IT. Gobbled it right up!

I cooled only a portion of it tonight, just their portions in individual bowls. The rest is cooling slower, in te fridge for later this week.

I know it sounds labor intensive... but it was actually really easy. I was just watching TV and PSing while doing this on the side.

ETA: It tastes nice and shrimpy when finished... which is what I wanted. My cats love shrimp... but I didn't want to feed them just shrimp too often. And wanted something low sodium (that's why I got the big freshwater shrimp).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results