shape
carat
color
clarity

Flowers for funeral

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My DH's step-grandmother passed away last night. The funeral is on Wednesday, so I'm scrambling to get all sorts of things done before we go back home - but I'm getting tripped up with flowers. My parents asked if I could order an arrangement to send from all of us. My dad said a potted plant of some sort would be nice - and they said they'd like to cover the whole cost for us since they know it's near the holidays and our travel costs etc are adding up for DH and me. So, since I'm spending their money, I'd like to keep the cost reasonable. I think my dad had an arrangement in mind just to give to my MIL and FIL when we arrived home, but DH and I talked about it and since this is a relatively small family, we think it might be more appropriate to do a small arrangement to have for the funeral.

My question is what should I order/what's appropriate? What is the typical cost of an arrangement? I assume I send it directly to the funeral home? What should be on the little card? I've never done this before and I just want to make sure my directions are clear when I call the florist in the morning.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask the florist...I bet they do it all the time and know the procedure, what''s appropriate, where to deliver it, etc.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
First, I wanted to send out my condolences to you and your family. What I've done in the past is have the plant/flower arrangement delivered directly to the funeral home. In terms of prices, I've seen arrangements priced anywhere from $40 to $200 and up depending on the size, type of flower/plant and embellishments used. Do you know what kind of flowers or plant DH's step grandmother liked? Or what colours she liked? Often, those are great places to start. FWIW, I've attached a link for FTD for you to take a look at the kinds of arrangements that are kinda typical just in case you're not really sure what to get.

http://www.ftd.com/sympathy-funeral-ptg/for-the-home-or-office/occasion-sympathy/occasion-sympathy-bestsellers/?start=1

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Pocahontas - thanks so much for the link. I felt silly because of course I should have checked something like FTD - I''m just not thinking.

Neatfreak - we plan to call the florist that we used for our wedding, which means they do beautiful work but communication is awful. You''re right though, they do a pretty good job of coming up with the nice arrangement for whatever budget you give. It''s their job, I suppose. :)

I really didn''t know her well, and DH didn''t have a close relationship with her either. Really, the gesture is more for his stepmother because I know this is extremely hard for her, so in terms of flowers she liked...no clue. When we visited her at the hospital, everyone (us included) brought flowers in fall colors...so I''m thinking maybe that may be what the arrangements will be like at the funeral.

Is a peace lily OK to be sent to the funeral home? I love these because they''re elegant and last for a long time (the wreath floral arrangements seem so depressing to me...) - but I just wanted to make sure that''s appropriate.

Thanks so much -

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The best florist recommendations come from the funeral home. They see a lot and know which florists do the nicest arrangements. Then ask the florist what you get for what price.

Problem with a potted plant is that someone feels obligated to take it home and water it for who knows how long. An arrangement is used for the intended purpose and can be taken to the cemetery. Sometimes if the funeral home is left with extra arrangements they donate them to local nursing homes. I had a friend who worked for a funeral home and that''s how they handled things.
Condolences to your family.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Elmorton,

I''m so sorry for your and DH''s loss... I''m sure it will be tough on all of you, especially with the holidays right around the corner.

Peacy lilys are totally acceptable. My brother passed away earlier this year and we received quite a few peace lilys. One of my best friends sent a huge one and it was just beautiful. Since you mentioned the gesture is more for your DH''s stepmother, a plant would something nice she could keep at her home afterwards.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 10:17:10 PM
Author: Elmorton
Is a peace lily OK to be sent to the funeral home? I love these because they''re elegant and last for a long time (the wreath floral arrangements seem so depressing to me...) - but I just wanted to make sure that''s appropriate.

Thanks so much -
Absolutely appropriate, they''re often sent for funerals. And I''m so sorry to hear of your loss El.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
First--I''m sorry about your family loss.

2nd. A few years ago, my first husband passed away. There was a lovely funeral and lots of people gave flowers and plants which was very nice at the funeral and viewing. However, it was a nightmare for me afterward. For those of you who don''t know how it works, the funeral home delivers all the floral/plants to the closest relative''s house usually the day after the funeral. In my case, every single surface in my house was covered with flowers/plants etc. I had them on the floor in my kitchen even. I tried to give them away and I did some, but I couldn''t get rid of everything. They needed care..watering etc. I already had enough issues.

So, that leads me to my next suggestion. How about a nice fall wreath or some sort of dried flower arrangement that doesn''t need care and will actually last? Just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results