shape
carat
color
clarity

Flattery or Plagiarism

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Take a look at this...

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=2325240&go.x=13&go.y=11

Ironically I couldn''t copy the picture, as the image is protected. Ironic, as I feel that the ring bears more than a passing resemblance to Eva Longoria''s wedding band. Well a cheap version thereof. (listed here, just page down a bit https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/updated-celebrity-rings.44492/)

So I got to thinking, particularly in a forum such as this. How much of our purchases reflect genuine personal taste and how much on fashion, trends or pure plagiarism.

For example, how many of us 3 years ago genuinely felt we couldn''t live without a rolling ring before Katie Homes/Cruise got one and for those who loved them regardless, surely it was frustrating to have something not so ''run of the mill'' become commonplace.

Or, does any of this matter?

Unless you buy bespoke who can claim originality?
Unless you hide the piece or patent that design who can keep originality?
When so many covetable designs exist, who wants originality?

What do you think? Would you care that you copied somebody elses ring, would you care if somebody else copied your ring?

26.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe there were many threads here in the past relating to this topic. There really isn''t anything original anymore; it''s more of a variation based on an old design. If you do a search on copyrights, you''ll find it with tons of picture examples.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip off, makes for good reading.

Here was me thinking I had an origional thought. Fitting isn''t it?
28.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s okay. It''s a good idea to bring that up and mull over it once a while.
2.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
My ering and wband reflect something that I personally like. I had them designed after my grandmother''s rings but they are not exact replicas.

I think that it can come down to wanting something that is similar to a more expensive item of similar design - like the classic Tiffany setting. It is beautiful and is classic but not cost effective for most if buying from Tiffany''s. So other vendors make replicas of the same thing. There are plenty examples of that on this board. Is it wrong to do that? Not in my opinion. It''s a different story if you have a knock off that''s being marketed as the real deal though IMO.

I also think that fashion/celebrity plays a huge role in what people buy, especially when it comes to jewelry. It used to be yellow gold was in and now it''s all about the white metals. So, you look at what jewelry is being sold and the vast majority of it is in white metals. I''m sure that yellow will make a comeback and that the majority of jewelry being sold will be yellow. Likewise, I''m sure that there were people out there who had to have the LV bag that become so popular when Jessica Simpson carried on Newlyweds but there is no doubt that it become even more popular once people saw that she had the bag. Make sense?

I''d be flattered if someone wanted to copy my rings but I think that''s fairly unlikely given the design and the fact that it''s two-tone and not all white metals.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is SUCH a basic design.... do you know how many rings I''ve seen like that BEFORE eva got married? granted hers is the only spinning one, but between rings like this and rings just like this but with baguettes in the center.... it isn''t a new concept. Especially in 1/2 to 3/4 cover.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results