shape
carat
color
clarity

First 2014 Snowstorm?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl's joke posting made me want to start the usual snowstorm postings. A big snowstorm is supposedly coming to New England on Friday. Today (12/31/13) is Tuesday, so that would be January 3. I guess we shall see if it is actually a big storm or not. ;)) It is supposed to hit you people in the Midwest first. Let us know how you do.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's funny how quickly the forecast changes. The snowstorm we were supposed to get (in northern NE) Thursday night into Friday (10-14 inches), has now been downgraded in my area. It's now supposed to snow all day Thursday and end Friday morning, with a total accumulation of 6 inches or so. I could use a good snowstorm, and 6 inches doesn't cut it.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I'm in Massachusetts and I hope we get a decent amount of snow! My kids were both sick during the last snow fall and really want to try their new sleds out!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm in NJ, "North and west of the city..." and absolutely DREADING getting anymore snow! I know I can't really complain compared to those of you further up the coast, and certainly compared to those of you who live out in the ND area, but we've already had over a foot of snow before the first day of winter. I've had my fill of it. It's always the same...my car gets buried and I'm stuck on the mountain almost two weeks before Christmas, and don't get the driveway defrosted enough to move my car until just a day or two before Christmas. At least this time I got to put my car at the bottom of the driveway (off to the side so we can plow), so maybe it will only be stuck for a few days with this storm. I can drive the truck down and warm up my car if I need to go anywhere after the roads get cleared. The driveway is a quarter mile long, and I'm not walking down that slippery witch in 15 degrees!

Now, back when the Dodge Ram was in great shape, I didn't mind so much. But the driveway a few year ago was so icy that it literally made the windshield get hairline cracks because of the vibrations going over all the ice. The driver's door doesn't want to shut all the way, so I wouldn't dare go further than the local general store in it, and it's downright ugly now. She's been rode hard and put up wet.

Anyway, they still don't know just how much snow we're going to get, as it's one of those storms that can be hit or miss, depending on the conditions. 10-12 inches were forecast for our area. Did I mention I hate winter in general? *sigh*

our_driveway_in_winter.jpg

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am in Rhode Island. Last time we got a snowstorm we lost power for a week. And it is supposed to get very cold here. So hopefully it is being blown out of proportion.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our flurries turned in to 4 inches and lots of ice. Happy New Year. :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been in Tahoe for almost two weeks now and there hasn't been so much as a flurry fallen from the sky. Fortunately the resorts can make snow, but this would be a huge disappointment if I were still a skier!

The CB said they've gotten about a foot in Chicago with another six inches called for. He and his daughter headed out to lunch today, got from the alley to the main road, found it was covered in several inches of sloppy snow, and headed right back into the garage!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Near Toronto here. :wavey: No thanks to more snow or ice. There are people who went without power for almost 2 weeks from before Christmas to Dec. 31st around here. I live in an area with an upgraded power station that rarely goes out, but we're heading for brutally cold weather over the next few days.

We have to plow our backyard for the dogs when it snows. They are chihuahuas, and one is not very good in snow at all. He refuses to wear his muttluks. :cheeky:

Hope everyone stays warm and safe!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1388628708|3584551 said:
Near Toronto here. :wavey: No thanks to more snow or ice. There are people who went without power for almost 2 weeks from before Christmas to Dec. 31st around here. I live in an area with an upgraded power station that rarely goes out, but we're heading for brutally cold weather over the next few days.

We have to plow our backyard for the dogs when it snows. They are chihuahuas, and one is not very good in snow at all. He refuses to wear his muttluks. :cheeky:

Hope everyone stays warm and safe!!

Good luck to you, lyra!!!

Hugs,
Deb

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Schools already cancelled here for tomorrow and it isn't even snowing yet! I'm guessing no school on Friday since the worst is supposed to be Thurs night into Friday.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Love the mental picture of the chihuahuas getting their tiny butts frozen trying to tinkle, Lyra! That can be a hazard when you're weeny. :))

My brother & SIL had to vacate their house in Maine over Christmas & take refuge w/their son in Boston. No power in Maine & snow up to the eyeballs. Haven't heard what's coming next for them. Down here in Dixie we're slated for rain rain rain, and cold. I'll take some of that snow off your hands, Northerners!

--- Laurie

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1388499474|3583727 said:
Karl's joke posting made me want to start the usual snowstorm postings. A big snowstorm is supposedly coming to New England on Friday. Today (12/31/13) is Tuesday, so that would be January 3. I guess we shall see if it is actually a big storm or not. ;)) It is supposed to hit you people in the Midwest first. Let us know how you do.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:
Uh good luck with that. We got it overnight, but Chicago's been getting it for like two days. They had like 8" last night already, and it's still fallin.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's supposed to arrive this afternoon. How's it in Chicago? I hear they are supposed to get 1 foot of snow?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
SE Michigan reporting in...I haven't been outside yet, but if you told me we've gotten 10" or more since yesterday morning, I'd believe you. Hard to tell how much we've ACTUALLY gotten because 1) it's still snowing and 2) there's been a lot of blowing, so it's uneven.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1388631603|3584577 said:
Schools already cancelled here for tomorrow and it isn't even snowing yet! I'm guessing no school on Friday since the worst is supposed to be Thurs night into Friday.

We have a snow day today and I wouldn't be surprised if we have another one tomorrow.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like we got between 2-3" here in southern IN. Emough to make things messy and bring out the plows, but not enough to make a snowman. It looks pretty, though. Hope all of you who got a lot of snow stay safe and warm.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Murry is not amused

murcules.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VL, I love Murry's expression! He looks p!ssed!

We have our second snow day, which extended our Christmas break to a full two weeks. The weather guys are saying we could get more snow on Sunday night into Monday morning, so there may be a chance of a delay or another cancellation.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Aww, Murry looks SO disgusted! I don't blame him -- city slush is :knockout: especially when you're only a few inches above it. Stay warm & you & Murry have some cocoa together (fake cocoa for him).

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Temperature is in the 10s with strong winds. The snow has slowed but it is light and fluffy, so the wind is blowing them everywhere. Visibility is horrible with snow dunes here and there! School is closed today too. I hope the snow will stop soon.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
Reporting in from Maryland, near DC. The snow has stopped but not before most people got 3 - 6 inches, more in the northwest suburbs. Last night it got very windy and very cold. The sun is shining today, but the wind chill temperature is hovering around '0' degrees. Brrr, chilly!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's in the high 20s down here in the Carolinas. No snow, of course. That probably sounds like midsummer to you poor folks in the north.

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1388723200|3585317 said:
Murry is not amused

VL-

That street looks familiar. I think we live in the same town, so I have been trying to place it, but can't. Where is it? Did you know we got 7" of snow here yesterday? It seemed like a non-event after all the build-up, but tonight it is cold. It was 7 degrees the last time I looked at my computer and it is supposed to go down to 0. Murry will definitely need a warm coat to go out in this weather! (Griffin already has two of his own.)

Deb
:wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Deb, Griffin comes well insulated. Bet he doesn't even notice the snow. Charlie thinks it's great fun -- no snow here, but c-c-c-cold & even with her bare-naked tummy from an ultrasound, she wants to sport around while I freeze to death on the other end of the leash. :rolleyes:

Weather report -- this is in the Carolinas, yet -- says Tuesday will be single digits at night (wind chill of 0 degr.) & 20 degrees daytime. Holy mackeral, my house may crack & shatter from the cold; they don't insulate them for that stuff here! I may crack & shatter, myself, having become a southern petunia.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results