a weekend in Bali to change my immigration status
at least a redwood's worth of paperwork
3 rounds of fingerprints
3 chest x-rays
4 background checks
and $15,000 in immigration expenses...

I finally received my Australian citizenship! :appl:
They can't get rid of me now! :bigsmile:

(Unfortunately with the KRudd takeover of prime ministership, the immigration minister changed right before my ceremony - means I didn't even get an official certificate or a banksia plant! All I could do was take a very quick happy snap with the Queen herself. :wink2: )

image_530.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! You look well pleased :bigsmile:

I'm a displaced Aussie so welcome to the club!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, JG!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Ginger! The chest x-rays threw me off a bit. It seems like an odd requirement.

I'm curious but you don't need to answer if you don't want to -- was it hard to give up your US citizenship?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yay for citizenship!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1374533841|3488027 said:
Congratulations, Ginger! The chest x-rays threw me off a bit. It seems like an odd requirement.

I'm curious but you don't need to answer if you don't want to -- was it hard to give up your US citizenship?

They use chest x-rays to screen for tuberculosis (we get a lot of African/SE Asian immigrants here, with those areas having higher rates of Mycobacteria prevalence). I work in the state Mycobacteria reference laboratory and not even WE have chest x-rays for health/safety purposes! We have yearly Mantouxes, and only x-rays if that produces a positive result. I think immigration is a bit liberal with their use of x-rays - I am very glad to be done with that part of the process.

If I had to give up my US citizenship, the decision to get my Australian citizenship would have been harder. As it is, I am now a dual citizen and will carry passports for both countries. :))

justginger

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1374534877|3488040 said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :appl: Welcome to the Lucky Country..... :love:

The Lucky Country, indeed - I am very thankful for the incredible lifestyle Australia has afforded me over the last 7 years. I never in a million years would have predicted an international move down under, but I suppose it was written in the stars. :bigsmile:

I told DH that I'm glad to be done with immigration's cash-grab -- but honestly, if I had to pay $15k ANNUALLY to stay here, I'd do so without question, lol.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations JG! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Ginger! :appl: Very glad you can keep your US citizenship...best of both worlds now. :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!! Very pleased for you- enjoy all that both countries have to offer :)) --- :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got it. Thanks Ginger! I can see where it could be hard to give up US citizenship. Dual sounds like a great idea!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Ginger! I've been wondering where you are. Haven't seen you post too much recently. I miss Poppy! I think we're going to need a photo of Poppy next to the Australian flag or something :naughty: y'know, celebratory and all!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Ginger!!!!! :appl:

I remember the US citizenship ceremony very well - they're good about the pomp and circumstance and I felt so awfully special that day ::)

justginger|1374534365|3488033 said:
As it is, I am now a dual citizen and will carry passports for both countries. :))
Me too! :bigsmile:

ETA: I lied. Mine are US and NZ. Close enough?
ETA: (I can hear the choking all the way from here...)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look how cute you are!!!! and happy!!! Congratulations!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1374540892|3488120 said:

I remember the US citizenship ceremony very well - they're good about the pomp and circumstance and I felt so awfully special that day ::)

As it is, I am now a dual citizen and will carry passports for both countries. :))

Mine would have been much better, with the anthem, and the food, and the gifted native plant if I had waited 3-6 months for the ceremony that is arranged by my local council. Unfortunately, I really want the financial benefits for being a citizen when it comes to my uni fees, so lodged a request for an expedited ceremony. I guess it's like a wedding at the registry office vs a white monstrosity - get in, say the oath, get out. Thankfully DH took me out for a lovely lunch in the city afterwards, so that made up for it.

Are you actually Kiwi, yssie? Or one of your parents? DH has dual Oz/Kiwi due to FIL being from the South Island. I haven't investigated if my future child/ren can hold triple citizenship, but I think they could. That being said, I expect they would denounce their American citizenship at a certain point. Only the US requires all of her citizens to continue filing taxes (regardless if they've ever even visited the country before!), and will double tax income over a certain level, in addition to taxing our tax-free retirement superannuation here. :nono: It's not really a benefit to be a US citizen abroad if you have no expectation to ever live there.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1374537991|3488071 said:
Congrats, Ginger! I've been wondering where you are. Haven't seen you post too much recently. I miss Poppy! I think we're going to need a photo of Poppy next to the Australian flag or something :naughty: y'know, celebratory and all!

I was underground from March-July, with my first semester back at uni. Now I'm on break til the 5th of August, so I have time for my sparkly addiction again! :bigsmile:

I do need some new Poppy photos. I took an awesome one on the balcony at work a few weeks ago for Instagram, need to import it here. I can't wait to take her back to her birthplace and meet Adam in December. :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, JG!.. :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1374543568|3488151 said:
madelise|1374537991|3488071 said:

I was underground from March-July, with my first semester back at uni. Now I'm on break til the 5th of August, so I have time for my sparkly addiction again! :bigsmile:

I do need some new Poppy photos. I took an awesome one on the balcony at work a few weeks ago for Instagram, need to import it here. I can't wait to take her back to her birthplace and meet Adam in December. :appl:

ooh! ooh! I have an IG just for PS-y photos and videos! Find me! ms_madelise ::) I love that IG now has video!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really adorable photo. You look like a high school kid! Congratulations.

Deb
:wavey:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Many congratulations, Ginger!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I completely agree that we need some Poppy pics to celebrate.

Also, you'll probably need another week in Bali for some post-citizen paperwork that pops up. Such a pain, these things.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1374543356|3488146 said:
Yssie|1374540892|3488120 said:

Mine would have been much better, with the anthem, and the food, and the gifted native plant if I had waited 3-6 months for the ceremony that is arranged by my local council. Unfortunately, I really want the financial benefits for being a citizen when it comes to my uni fees, so lodged a request for an expedited ceremony. I guess it's like a wedding at the registry office vs a white monstrosity - get in, say the oath, get out. Thankfully DH took me out for a lovely lunch in the city afterwards, so that made up for it.

Are you actually Kiwi, yssie? Or one of your parents? DH has dual Oz/Kiwi due to FIL being from the South Island. I haven't investigated if my future child/ren can hold triple citizenship, but I think they could. That being said, I expect they would denounce their American citizenship at a certain point. Only the US requires all of her citizens to continue filing taxes (regardless if they've ever even visited the country before!), and will double tax income over a certain level, in addition to taxing our tax-free retirement superannuation here. :nono: It's not really a benefit to be a US citizen abroad if you have no expectation to ever live there.

I laughed out loud at the description of the "white monstrosity". Glad you and your DH got a nice lunch at least! ::)

Yes, I still have my NZ citizenship, but it's not by birth. My parents moved there when I was very young and I hardly remember anything of the process, I'm afraid, so I'm no help. Neither I nor my parents have property there and I use my US passport for all practicalities (travel) so it's really just in name. DH is an Israeli dual citizen and he's looking into getting rid of it because apparently it's frowned upon when courting DOD contracts. I have heard that the US is beastly wrt. taxing income earned overseas - a friend is moving to Mexico and doesn't envision returning, and plans to renounce her citizenship for exactly that reason.

Do you plan to keep your US citizenship?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Ginger!I'm taking my US citizenship test tomorrow! Studying tonight......

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Ginger!! On both your citizenship and your Uni results. :appl:

I am a few years behind you, but maybe I will get to join the Aussie club one day!! :bigsmile:

Looking forward to seeing Poppy. Please post some pictures :love:

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results