Final word on WG and Ammonia

Do you use ammonia on white gold?

• Absolutley, everyday!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Every once in a while...

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I have read days worth of posts on this, and never seem to find a yes or no answer. So can you use ammonia with white gold or not?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
My white gold-ering became noticibly yellower (cehra would say more buttery) after cleaning it with one of the US recipies that included windex. I only did it twice, but it created a clear differnce in color between the treated e-ring and my untreated wedding band. I believe that it takes off the rhodium plating(both of my rings were plated). If your rings are solid white gold and un-plated, I don''t know if there is an effect.

Hopefully some of the experts will weigh in here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve read that ammonia reacts with the alloys in white gold so it''s a no-no.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My jeweler told me never, ever to use ammonia with WG
23.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use baby shampoo for my WG. lol! It works good enough for me and it is gentle
2.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
No ammonia. Mr Clean without ammonia works good. One quarter Mr Clean, three quarters water and you''ve got a solution as good as what they sell in those $5 jars of jewelry cleaner, at a fraction of the cost.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
well, aint that a bummer...

I''ve been using sudsy ammonia on my wg wedding ring. Oh well, I get it rhodium plated free every 6 mos at my jewelers, so its up for a dippin'' in October, I''ll buy some mr. clean & avoid ammonia from here on out. I noticed mine got buttery rather quick after this last plating. too many rides in the US.

Good to know.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 10:33:18 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
No ammonia. Mr Clean without ammonia works good. One quarter Mr Clean, three quarters water and you''ve got a solution as good as what they sell in those $5 jars of jewelry cleaner, at a fraction of the cost.
That''s what I do.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Can you use this combo in an ultrasonic?

Date: 8/18/2007 9:37:39 PM
Closeup toothpaste gel works good too.

Brush you teeth and then your ring (with another toothbrush, of course).

Then you keep lookin'' good all the time.

My cousins husband had that same idea. He wanted me to clean his wifes ring in my US. So i showed it too him and went off to find some Mr. clean or windex or something. I came back and I saw a green blur and he was just standing there. I was really confused, but went on to fix the US. Then I saw the water, dripping down the side of my green toothbrush. So I confronted him and it was true! he couldnt wait so he started to clean it with my toothbrush!
38.gif
It was hillarious.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2007 12:51:55 AM
Author: risingsun

Can you use this combo in an ultrasonic?
Yes, at least that''s what I was told. I do it often!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results