shape
carat
color
clarity

Female dress-code for white tie - is this dress ok?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I have gained weight so my old ballgowns don't fit anymore. I had planned on loosing some weight but never got too it and worst of all I procrastinated regarding getting a dress.

It is for my diploma ceremony, which will be held next Friday! :errrr: So it is very soon. Oh and in case it affects your recommendation, it will be held in the blue hall in the City Hall of Stockholm (same as for the Nobel banquette, so it is a tad big with high ceilings).

I was out today to try and find something, to my horror a lot of places closed early and will not be open tomorrow. Since I will need alterations and one place where I found a couple of possibilities will not hold the dresses, I worry about waiting till Monday.

The issue is that my body type is complicated to buy for. I have gained weight so I am having a bit of difficulty finding things in my size ( I am currently a large 12 US). I am pretty busty ( 32DDD says the converter but that sounds way too big, I am a 70G normally so not too big) and have a small waist. My torso is short compared to my legs so gowns for Swedes are often too long in the torso for me). Then I have big hips and a bit of tummy. In conclusion: complicated. I kinda look like Christina Hendrics with smaller boobs.

One dress I found is this one
I would get rid of the arms though and mine would be olive green. Not planning on wearing white gloves.

What do you think? Is it too casual?

Another I found is a dark blue looks quite close to the one in the picture but it has chiffon all the way down also covering the skirt part.

Regarding shoes, would you say yay or nay to patent, peep toes or sandals?

Any recommendations about what to do with my hair? It is dark chocolate brown and falls down to my waist. I am pale with blue grey eyes if it matters.

Thank you!

balklänning.jpg

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I quite like that dress. I would actually keep the sleeves. I think it would be appropriate, BUT, I'd wear some strappy heels with it. Do you have pictures of the shoes you're thinking of (or of something similar)?

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
sonnyjane|1320449187|3054263 said:
I quite like that dress. I would actually keep the sleeves. I think it would be appropriate, BUT, I'd wear some strappy heels with it. Do you have pictures of the shoes you're thinking of (or of something similar)?

I am going to go look for shoes tomorrow. Great to hear that you like the dress! I was thinking of accessorizing with a black satin clutch where the top part is pleated and try to match the shoes to that. I would like to wear my silver and markesites set. http://www.kaplans.se/Kaplans/AuctionArt.aspx?vId=596745&plT=84724821&AuktID=1907 the necklace is short which I feel draws attention away from my chest.

I just worry that the dress is not formal enough for white tie and tails, it feels more appropriate for black tie maybe.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do black shoes and clutch with an olive dress. I'd pick something with gold tones (more metallic, not exactly GOLD). Maybe something like this, but obviously doesn't have to be Choo's:http://www.jimmychoosshoessale.com/jimmy-choo-madame-metallic-leather-sandals-gold-p-302.html and some type of clutch to match. Do you have a picture of the dress in the actual color you'd be getting, the olive one? That might help.

For some reason when I read your post initially, I was thinking "black tie". Doing a little more research, it does appear that white-tie is a bit more formal than that. With an updo (kind of like that of the woman pictured) and proper jewelry, I think the dress could be made to appear more formal, especially since you're running on such short notice. Such a bummer that you're not here in the states! There's so much more selection for a size 12!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now this is coming from someone who has never owned a ballgown, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think that dress is quite elegant, and would imagine it could look quite nice with or without sleeves.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you dressed it up with a formal updo and the right jewelry and shoes and bag (something metallic I think for the shoes and the bag, like a lovely gold-ish color) I think it would be lovely. If you are taking off the sleeves I would consider gloves. But I like the sleeves so I would leave them on.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
White tie means formal dressing, and that dress will do just fine because of its length and fabric. It is minimalist, but not casual.

Sandals and peep toes are not right for white tie (if you are looking to follow strict etiquette). Closed toe shoes in a satin slingback, maybe?

In the U.S., the rules of formal wear are a bit looser. But I would stick with a more traditional look for Europe, especially for an academic function.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1320458876|3054366 said:
Sandals and peep toes are not right for white tie (if you are looking to follow strict etiquette). Closed toe shoes in a satin slingback, maybe?

In the U.S., the rules of formal wear are a bit looser. But I would stick with a more traditional look for Europe, especially for an academic function.

Ahh, good to know. I'm in the US and so if strappy heels are not appropriate in Europe, by all means choose something else :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1320458275|3054360 said:
If you dressed it up with a formal updo and the right jewelry and shoes and bag (something metallic I think for the shoes and the bag, like a lovely gold-ish color) I think it would be lovely. If you are taking off the sleeves I would consider gloves. But I like the sleeves so I would leave them on.

Agreed.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
sonnyjane|1320453059|3054304 said:
I wouldn't do black shoes and clutch with an olive dress. I'd pick something with gold tones (more metallic, not exactly GOLD). Maybe something like this, but obviously doesn't have to be Choo's:http://www.jimmychoosshoessale.com/jimmy-choo-madame-metallic-leather-sandals-gold-p-302.html and some type of clutch to match. Do you have a picture of the dress in the actual color you'd be getting, the olive one? That might help.

For some reason when I read your post initially, I was thinking "black tie". Doing a little more research, it does appear that white-tie is a bit more formal than that. With an updo (kind of like that of the woman pictured) and proper jewelry, I think the dress could be made to appear more formal, especially since you're running on such short notice. Such a bummer that you're not here in the states! There's so much more selection for a size 12!!!

I agree completly. I would go for soft gold or maybe even bronze metallic accessories. I think that the dress could work for white tie with an updo, and dressy accessories. And I think it looks like an excellent style for your body type! I would also keep the sleeves unless you love showing off your arms. I think women can get away with a bit more in dressing for formal occasions. Just make sure your hair, nails and makeup are done and you look very polished and be confident!

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
That is a lovely dress! I think that a gold or bronze shoe and gold accessories will do a lot to make it even more formal. I also like the sleeves...I think they are what help make the dress special.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very stylish and appropriate choice for your body type! Gorgeous dress! It would be perfect with or without sleeves but IMO, the sleeves add a softness to it and if the room is super huge, it will be cold - in temperature and visual sensation. The capped flutter sleeve wont keep you warm but it will possibly be more suitable for the venue.

I agree with satin sling backs - good call!

I love the bronze metallic approach - very current right now and could be easier to work into future use, more so than gold or silver (which really scream "FORMAL EVENT" where as the bronze says "yeah, i'm cool... but classy!" in a much softer way! :lol: :lol:

Congratulations on your achievements and hope you have an amazing evening!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results