shape
carat
color
clarity

Favourite funny authors?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''ve recently gotten into Christopher Moore, and I''ve rediscovered how much fun it is to read a book that makes me laugh out loud. I just pulled four of his books out of the library, but I was wondering if anybody has any other funny authors they love.

So...suggestions, anybody?

E B

Ideal_Rock
David Sedaris. He is wonderful. His books constantly make me laugh out loud.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I love Christopher Moore! The first one I read was Lamb and I was hoooooooked. David Sedaris is a classic - even better in person or on recordings.

For Christmas last year, my mom gave DH a book called Not that you asked...by Steve Almond. It's funny as heck (a little inappropriate as a gift from a MIL but whatever, great book), though if you're not a Vonnegut fan, you might want to skip the 40-page chapter where he worships his literary god (I skimmed it the first time, and on closer read, it really was funny even though I have to admit I've never read anything by Vonnegut). I'm praying for Almond to publish more...it's a gem.

Some people find Augusten Burroughs really funny...but I was kinda "eh" to those.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2008 6:10:23 PM
Author: Elmorton

Some people find Augusten Burroughs really funny...but I was kinda 'eh' to those.

I agree. I wasn't impressed with 'Running with Scissors.'

I'll check out Christopher Moore and Steve Almond. Thanks!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Augusten Burroughs just made me shudder. We got the book on tape and it just...yikes.

David Sedaris is wonderful! I have "Me Talk Pretty One Day" on CD and it''s hilarious. I don''t know that I could ever read his books again, knowing what it''s like hearing him read his work. He is SO hilarious!

I''ll definitely have to check out Steve Almond. Thanks!

EBree, I think you''ll love Moore. So far I''ve read "Lamb, the Gosple According to Biff, Christ''s Childhood Pal" (I was laughing out loud almost every page) and "A Dirty Job". I''m on "The Stupidest Angel: A heartwarming tale of Christmas terror" which is making me laugh hysterically.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Princesss, I really liked The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove and the Island of the Sequined Love Nun, but for some reason I was only half entertained by You Suck. Maybe wasn''t in the right mood for it, or something.

DH likes Carl Hiassen and Elmore Leonard and Robert Crais and Tim Cockey for humorous authors...the only one I''ve read is Tim Cockey (the hearse books) and they''re not hysterical, but do have some good humor writing.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Terry Pratchett! Especially "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch", which was co-authored by Neil Gaiman, who is one of my favorite people on earth.

I also enjoyed "Lamb" very very much, it was fabulous. I liked "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" as well, but tried "Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings" and couldn''t get through it.

I don''t like David Sedaris for some reason, though I''ve made more than one attempt at "Me Talk Pretty One Day".

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, I love Bill Bryson! I really, really would love to (eventually) be some kind of Bill Bryson/Francis Meyes hybrid. So funny.

I loved "A Walk in the Woods".

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I love reading just about anything by P.G. Wodehouse but especially the Bertie and Jeeves books.

And if you like reading gardening advice with your humor I can recommend Cassandra Danz''s "Mrs. Greenthumbs" books. They''re out of print so you''d have to get them used (or at the library).

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I just picked up a book called"I was told there''d be cake" by Sloane Crosley and so far it''s pretty funny - sortof a female, straight David Sedaris. I was laughing out loud last night and I was exhausted, so not even in a funny mood :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 11:30:22 AM
Author: monarch64
Carl Hiassen, Laurence Shames, Janet Evanovich...
thum12.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of the funniest books I ever read was "The Night of the Avenging Blowfish." I cannot remember the author but he also wrote "I''d Like to Buy a Vowel" which is also very funny.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/21/2008 5:32:07 PM
Author: EBree
David Sedaris. He is wonderful. His books constantly make me laugh out loud.

I love David Sedaris too! He is SO funny. I love everything he''s written and I love to hear him on the radio show "This American Life."

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
i''ve been watching the first season dvd of ''this american life''. excellent concept for a show!! i wonder if anyone will create ''this canadian life''.

as for funny authors, i always laugh reading roddy doyle''s barrytown trilogy which includes ''the commitments'' (remember that movie??), ''the van'', and ''the snapper''. it took a bit of thinking to understand some of the irish humour, but now i find him hilarious.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I loved "Tickled Pink" by Rita Rudner and "My Trip Down the Pink Carpet" by Leslie Jordan. Leslie Jordan played Beverly Leslie on Will and Grace. He is a hoot!

I also fully second anything by David Sedaris.

When I was a kid we listened to tapes of "Lake Woebegone" by Garrison Keillor.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to also say that David Sedaris is WONDERFUL. For most people he is better if listened to on CD. However I do have a friend that is really annoyed by his voice. So I guess try to hear a snippet before buying.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Was going to say Bill Bryson and Terry Pratchett, but others beat me to it!
1.gif

My favourite Bryson is probably ''In a Sunburned Country.'' Reminded me so much of my first impressions of Australia that I gave myself stomach aches from laughing so hard.
9.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....not familiar with any of those.

My taste though, leans to the wacky. I love just about anything by Jill Connor Browne. The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love, read out loud, makes me and a friend of mine pretty much have convulsions. The section on the southern obituary is enough to make you NEED one.

I also love Douglas Adams and The Hitchhiker's Guide series. It's that wacky British humor stuff...

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
I too love David Sedaris. And Bill Bryson. I also love love LOVE Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy O''Toole) and a Girl Named Zippy & She Got Up Off the Couch, both by Haven Kimmel. I really enjoyed I Was Told There''d Be Cake and am always in the market for books by funny authors. I feel like they''re always so hard to come by!! What gives?

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
Ronald Dahl....he has grown up short stories that are great.

Douglas Adams...its sci-fi. I''m so not a sci-fi person and I LOVE his stuff.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
It has to be Jerome K. Jerome. I''ve read Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) maybe 20 times and I keep laughing out loud whenever I re-read it. Meaning either the book is great or I have some intelligence issues.
9.gif

Starry-eyed

Rough_Rock
I too am a David Sedaris fan-- in addition to reading his stories, his audio books are really, well, hilarious. Those who like Sedaris should also check out Sara Vowell. Her book, "Take the Cannoli" in particular. She''s got this great sarcasm about her :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is hilarious. It''s fiction.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 1:10:06 PM
Author: lala2332
Ronald Dahl....he has grown up short stories that are great.

Douglas Adams...its sci-fi. I''m so not a sci-fi person and I LOVE his stuff.

I LOVE Roald Dahl''s short stories, but I don''t think they''re all that funny. Creepy, yes.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2008 3:47:37 PM
Author: Kismet
I love reading just about anything by P.G. Wodehouse but especially the Bertie and Jeeves books.

And if you like reading gardening advice with your humor I can recommend Cassandra Danz''s ''Mrs. Greenthumbs'' books. They''re out of print so you''d have to get them used (or at the library).

Hi Kismet- If you like P.G. Wodehouse and Jeeves you should try to get your hands on a copy of Mapp and Lucia by E F Benson - written in the 30s I think and so funny. It was made into a TV series with performances by the brilliant Prunella Scales, Nigel Hawthorn and Geraldine McEwan, but the books really are better

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Terry Pratchett! Honestly, I would marry this man, he''s so funny (don''t tell my BF though!). His Discworld books are fantastic. I also love Christopher Moore too - Lamb was hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results