shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite mysteries?

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
Anyone like to recommend some mystery books?

Some ones I've liked recently:

1) Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich
2) Jo Nesbo- currently reading "The Devil's Star"
3) Case Histories by Kate Atkinson...the BBC recently aired a 3 part series based on her books and they were wonderful.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Have you ever read Sandra Brown? Normally she is listed under romance or fiction, but most of her books have a nice little mystery in them and you really never guess who is going to be the culprit. I just LOVE her writting style!

Some of my favorites for her include:

Where There's Smoke
Exclusive (sooo good and will keep you guessing)
The Switch

And just a ton of hers lol...I really enjoy reading her books and I've read them several times (after many years so I forget who did it lol)

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1338472231|3206730 said:
Have you ever read Sandra Brown? Normally she is listed under romance or fiction, but most of her books have a nice little mystery in them and you really never guess who is going to be the culprit. I just LOVE her writting style!

Some of my favorites for her include:

Where There's Smoke
Exclusive (sooo good and will keep you guessing)
The Switch

And just a ton of hers lol...I really enjoy reading her books and I've read them several times (after many years so I forget who did it lol)

Awesome, I'll have to check her books out next time I go to the library. Thanks!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried any of the Kathy Reichs book? Her main character is Temperance Brennen, who the show 'Bones' is based on. I've only tried one, but found it a quick, good read, with fun forensic stuff.

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
YES! I was addicted to Bones for a while. Love those books!

For a good beach read mystery, I recommend Lisa Gardner- very fast paced and many twists and turns.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Lisa Scottoline's books? If you like the Stephanie Plum books, think you might like the Lisa Scottoline mysteries that feature Bennie Rosato and her law firm...

ETA I also loved Tony Hillerman's mysteries for quick and easy but satisfying reads.

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
Adding this to my list. Thanks! :read:

I recently finished "I am not a serial killer" by Dan Wells- short but
Interesting YA fiction that combines teen angst, murder mystery and supernatural.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Oh, this topic is right up my ally! I love the Stephanie Plum books for a fun read with a decent story. I recently also read Wicked Appetite, also by Janet Evanovich, and liked it. If you've read any of the "Plum" books (Plum Lucky, I believe is one of them), then you've already been introduced to Diesel, who is a main character in Wicked Appetite.

Another series I adore is the China Bayles series by Susan Wittig Albert. All have an herb in the title. First in the series is Thyme of Death, I believe. Not too heavy, but a decent story, and I just downright like the characters.

Deborah Crombie is another author I like. There are quite a few books in the series, and I can't remember off the top of my head what the first book is titled.

Love Laura Lippman, she writes a series about a private investigator in Baltimore. She's also written a few stand alone books.

And, one of my favorites is the Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie King. It's a twist on the traditional Sherlock, with a female protagonist.

Val McDermid- a little more hard core, but REALLY good, if you like that sort of thing.

I'll see if I can come up with any other recommendations.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
VRBeauty|1341241367|3227255 said:
I also like the Sharon McCone series by Marcia Muller:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharon-McCone-Mysteries-Chronological-Order/lm/R2NL74GU90CMNW

She's up to 25 or 26 books, so there are enough to keep even the most avid reader busy for awhile! Sharon McCone is a San Francisco private eye.

For a more cerebral read, I like PD James's Adam Dalgliesh mysteries.

Oh, and Sharon McCone reminds me of the Sharon McCrumb (she's the author) series, set in Appalachia. I believe the first in the series is She Walks These Hills.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my favourite series are the Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton. Kinsey Millhone is a maybe 35ish twice divorced female private eye. I like how Grafton writes - it has to be similar to how I think or speak because I just whip thru them! You don't need to necessarily read them in order, but they are good police/private eye/murder mystery's that are easy to get thru in a short time.

Haven't started any of the Janet Evanovich number series but I have read a few of the individual books by that author. I like her style!

JenPaulson

Rough_Rock
Not much of a mystery lover now but back in High School I loved reading all Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I don't typically seek out mysteries, but I remember a few very good ones I enjoyed. (Probably recommended by Maureen Corrigan on Fresh Air.)

The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Cater

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great suggestions on books. I have been looking for a new series myself. DH recommended the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. I am going to try and start that tonight.

Sixbillionstars, I have a question for you - did you take the aurora photo that is in your avatar? It's very nice.

Marcy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results