shape
carat
color
clarity

Face cream suggestion, please

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all.

As it seems like winter here in Boston may last until June, it's time to give up on my current moisturizer. I would appreciate any and all advice people can offer by way of cleansers and, even more importantly, moisturizer. I have a history of being up-sold at cosmetic counters and would like to go to the store armed with knowledge.

My skin is pale, dry and flaking (especially on my cheeks and around my nostrils) and sensitive. Oddly enough, however, I am still prone to breakouts. I don't know if skin flakes get trapped and trigger breakouts, or if perhaps the lesions are really inflammatory bumps from sensitivity.

I'm not getting any younger and wouldn't mind some anti-aging properties, but this is on the bottom of my list of concerns.

I would prefer products with little to no fragrance as smells give me headaches.

I would love to keep the cost under $50 US

Thank you!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of cleanser do you use? If your skin is dry and flaking, you will need a very mild cleanser, something cream or oil based. You can even try oil cleansing. Are you exfoliating? Contrary to what media makes you believe, a light exfoliation once or twice a week is plenty. Even just using a face cloth will help exfoliate. Using things like the apricot scrub is not recommended, because the pieces are jagged and actually cut/tear your skin. I ask these things first, because people generally assume that if they have very very dry skin that they need a very heavy/thick moisturizer, which is not always the case. Keeping a good balance is important. What also might work is a serum that you'd use under your moisturizer. This can be moisurizing and have some anti-aging benefits as well. Are there any particular brands you like? I don't like to recommend brands that *I* like, because they might not be available where you are, or you may have had reactions in the past.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi munchkin, I have very dry sensitive skin that is flaky and prone to breakouts too so perhaps my experience can be helpful for you. I am intolerant to many ingredients so after much trial and error I am using cold pressed hemp oil to moisturize and cleanse and have been doing this since December.

I spray Avene thermal water lightly on my clean face and then a few drops of hemp oil in the morning to moisturize after I gently cleanse with the Avene water and a cotton ball.

Alternatively you can cleanse in the AM with a microfiber cloth and water. In the PM I gently massage some of the hemp oil into my dry face and then take a cotton ball doused with the Avene water and gently remove the makeup.

I tried the Jane Iredale Magic Mitt to cleanse with just water but find that it is too harsh for my skin and rather a cotton ball works best for me.

This is a very inexpensive way to cleanse and moisturize without the added harmful ingredients most commercial moisturizers have. For my sensitive reactive dry, flaky yet breakout prone skin the fewer the ingredients the better.

I find the hemp to be moisturizing yet light weight and non comedogenic. It has to be kept in the fridge but a small price to pay IMO for something that is gentle yet moisturizing.

However none of this is anti aging unfortunately but perhaps it can get you through the winter and then you can use other products when your skin starts improving. Good luck!

ETA: Here is a chart you may find helpful.
https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very weird dry/oil/flaky/dull skin tone (thanks genes!) and the following regimine transformed my skin to the point where strangers actually compliment my skin.

Wash your face with a mild exfoliant and lukewarm water. I use Saint Ives plain old apricot scrub.

While your skin is still damp, apply Estee Lauder Advanced Recovery Complex, and then immediately after that Cetaphil lotion. Everything listed is very gentle but effective for crazy and Winter worn skin.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Munchkin, I've been using First Aid Ultra Repair Cream based on Ame's post in one of missy's threads (shout out for Ame's recommendation). It's been great so far. I bought a sample size through Amazon. First Aid is reasonably priced (relatively compared to others). Maybe it will help.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I use Estee Lauder Advanced Time Zone- have for years and its been amazing- well worth the price (I know its pricey but it completely changed my complexion). Neutrogena to wash the face. Great combo.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make a point of spritzing my face with avene or Evian mineral water to dampen my face prior to moisturizing. That way the moisturizer has water to lock in.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you & I have the same issue during the colder months! My skin was oily when I was younger, but as I have aged (I'm 40) the cold can play havock. I also have sensitive skin.

I am in the UK so cannot probably compare products, but I will tell you what I use & do, which works a treat & banishes my dry skin.

I have always cleansed with Ponds Cold Cream. It's thick & delicious. I massage it in & then remove with either damp cotton wool pads or a damp muslin cloth. Then I use a dab of Vichy Micellar water, which mops up any remaining cleanser without stripping my skin. Finally, I moisturize with a Vichy cream for dry skin. But in the colder months I add in an organic Rosehip Oil. Its fabulous! In the evening I will smear it over my face & neck after the micellar water every other evening. Usual night time moisturizer in between. In the mornings, everyday in colder months, I cleanse, micellar water & moisturize. After my moisturizer has absorbed, I dab some oil on my fingertips, rub my hands together to warm it, then smooth it over my face. It just gives a bit of a moisture surge before I apply BB cream & makeup.

As a side note, my daughter who is 6, gets dry flaky skin around her nostrils in winter, and the rosehip oil at night cures it completely.

I hope you find something that works for you!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm a fan of good old fashioned Palmer's cocoa butter. I've tried almost every moisturizer out there, even the most expensive ones, and this is by far the best. I use it on my eyes, neck, face, whole body. I really can't say enough good things about it.

RedHotScot

Rough_Rock
Very sensitive redhead here, I oil cleanse using Jojoba oil and when I exfoliate I use http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/for-the-face/scrubs/adzuki-micrograin-facial-scrub (the smell reminds me of fresh pea pods). In the summer I moisturize with jojoba oil as well usually but in the winter I use either cocoa butter (Chagrin has a whipped one) or Tallow. Generally people tend to think I am younger than I am so perhaps I am doing something correctly or perhaps it is luck of the genes. Good luck in your search for what works best for your skin. ~Red

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
Hi Muchkin :wavey:

I'm in the same boat as you: flaky dry patches, but somehow also acne prone at the same time & also freezing in Boston.

Kiehl's and First aid repair are good for me in the summer, but winter has been brutal.

I recently tried this Josie Argan $24 set out of desperation, and was pleasantly surprised. I was initially skeptical since my skin is acne prone, but somehow the oil cleanser & Argan oil works for my skin.
http://www.sephora.com/argan-skincare-ritual-set-P386797?skuId=1610294

I also get one small jar of Hope in a Jar every winter for $15:
http://www.sephora.com/hope-in-a-jar-P4633?skuId=1027192

....waiting for spring!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Same skin type here! Pale very sensitive, dry skin which somehow still manages to have breakouts. My skin seriously burns and itches before flaking if I don't moisturize properly

Will probably sound a bit strange but my advice is skip the cleanser. I wash my face with lukewarm water every day and 2-3 times a week exfoliate using an exfoliating glove so no chemicals, etc.

For cream my absolute savior has been N7 Protect and Perfect Intense, it's antiaging but I use it as it as it's transformed my skin. No more redness, itchy patches and less breakouts. For my eye area I use Yves Rocher Creme Riche

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strangely enough, I find that the less I put on my face (which includes washing/cleaning products), the better my skin looks.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Another pale, sensitive skinned red head here... I know it isn't budget friendly, but bear with me, because a little goes a long, long way and it seems to be very soothing as well as a great winter moisturiser - I swear by the original creme de la mer. Honestly, nothing beats it. I do sometimes alternate it with Boots No 7 because it's quite rich, and in summer I tend to only use it once or twice a week, but I really can tell the difference if I stop using it.

I also do a type of oil cleanse most days. I use bio oil (I'm sure you're not supposed to, but it works great for me) - massage it on, gently remove with a hot wet flannel then pay dry with a warm towel. Follow up with a few tiny dots of La Mer.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Munckin...I know how you feel! My hands over the last three weeks have been sore and tight due to all this cold we have been experiencing. But it is supposed to warm up this weekend :angel:

I really like Weleda's face cleanser. I have patchy skin with rosacea and huge pores on my nose...and this cleanses very gently but thoroughly. And I really like Dr Haushka moisturizers...again, all natural. Particularly like the Rose Light day cream, hydrating eye cream and eye balm (at night). All available at Whole Foods.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to pop back in and thank you all who made suggestions.

I researched a number of the suggestions you made. In an attempt to balance efficacy and cost, I elected to buy a starter kit of Fist Aid Beauty (FAB) Favorites from Sephora. I've been using the products for approximately two weeks and my skin looks much better than in has in a long time! The flaking is gone, I haven't had any rebound breakouts (fingers crossed) and my pores are smaller.

If anyone out there is tempted to try this product, my one warning is to let the liquid from the radience pads dry before applying moisturizer. The one time I didn't was the only time I experienced stinging/irritation.

Again, thank you for all your suggestions!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have just a cream option, but I highly recommend the Obagi NuDerm line. I have fair, sensitive skin that is prone to flaking, and I have had really good luck with Obagi.

DISCLAIMER: The Obagi line is for actual skin cell turnover, making your skin new and lovely -- not just products to mask the damaged skin we have now. Because of this, there is about a 4-6 week time frame that your skin will look like crap. My skin was red and peely and just hurt for a while. It wasn't fun. However, if you can get through this, you will be in love! I'm 35, and my skin hasn't looked this good since junior high (minus the pubescent breakouts). :)) I didn't do the aggressive approach, but eased myself into it, only using the tretinoin/Blender combo about 3x/2 months. Even doing this, I can tell a HUGE difference -- no spots or discolorations at all, and skin is very supple, moist, and even-toned.

Obagi is available only through dermatology offices and some spas, but some practices/spas sell online. The only product that requires a prescription is the tretinoin (Retin-A) cream, and it is used with the Blender. Their website (www.obagi.com) shows who is an authorized dealer -- DO NOT BUY from any site that is not on this list. BAD idea. Below is the derm office I use for ordering online. They are on the approved list and are the least expensive of any I've found... and I've really shopped around!!

www.truebeauty.com (become a preferred member to get the best discounts/free shipping/free returns -- all you have to do is sign up with your email...)

(sorry for the infomercial, but I just love this stuff -- both my sisters use it and love it, too!) :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If there is an Aveda salon in your neck of the woods, they have a line of skincare called Biokinetics. I use the moisturizer every day; it is full of great plant products that soothe and soften, without clogging my pores. I have sensitive skin as well.

Another great choice is Mario Badescu products sold at Ulta stores. Choose the moisturizer right for you from about a half dozen formulations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results