shape
carat
color
clarity

EVERYONE is ALWAYS staring at a screen!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate it when I'm walking our dogs or working in our front yard and I am not able to just say, "Hi." to someone walking by.
They're busy.
They are not there.
It strikes me as terribly rude, narcissistic even, to tune out the humans around you in this way.

It makes no sense, I can't prove it or justify it, but I feel LIVE human to human contact takes priority.

... not to mention all the deaths from drivers texting.

Okay, I donned my flame suit.
I'm ready.

z.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Like you said, people vary. :bigsmile:

I personally don't like talking to strangers. To me, saying "hi, how do you do" means nothing if I don't know them, or if I don't mean it. It seems like superficial fluff.

Even if I see people walking down the street, unoccupied, I'd never proactively say "hello" to them. I will respond back if they say it first, though, because ignoring them is just rude.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No flames from me, I agree. I fear that today's kids will not be able to function in the real world one day, unless every thing thing they do happens on a screen. Memos are done on email. Meetings via Skype. Texting in place of a phone call or dropping by a colleague's desk. And, of course, two people on a date or a whole family texting through dinner out. No personal contact.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1350078702|3284114 said:

Yes they do.
Some suck. :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that picture!

In my neighborhood it's rare to see someone walking their dog and using the phone. There's only one woman who does that, and all the other dog owners kind of roll our eyes at her. However, everyone seems to drive and use their phones, which as you know I think is much worse.

I teach in a community college and there are moments when I look out into a crowded hallway or cafeteria and just laugh--hordes of people are in very close proximity to each other yet each is in his own little digital world. I've been tempted to take a photo a couple of times. :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, what's wrong with you and I that we don't join them?

Why don't we want what they are going after?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm more understanding about it. For example, I had to text a friend while at Costco today (who couldn't talk because she was in a conference, and she was relaying important stuff about our retirement as the points came up), so I was texting with my friend instead of taking to my fiance. That might have looked terrible to you, but we work in the same company, we live together, we eat every meal together, and we don't work Fridays-Sundays so we see each other for 72 hours straight. We get so much time together that texting time with others is like a mini break.

Not making excuses, but you just never know what the other person's situation is like.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pull out my phone when dog-walking to avoid talking to strangers.

I'm so narcissistic that I'm convinced the majority of men who say hi to me are checking me out.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that pic is a very true example of life nowadays. Drives me nuts when I'm out walking with a friend at lunch, and college kids are walking towards us, no idea of their surroundings, and nearly walk into us. I usually say a very loud "WHOA!" just to prevent a collision!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I suppose I am a "zombie".

I rarely say something to others without being spoken to first. I feel rude interrupting someones thoughts or whatever they have going on for a simple greeting. If it is important than obviously I would speak up.

I also think that emailing and txting is a courtesy. I will only call someone or speak face to face if it is important. With an email or txt they have the option of interaction when it is convenient for them not when I demand attention.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is extreme to call it narcissistic. There could be endless reasons why your neighbors are looking at their phones instead of chatting with you. They may be waiting to here important news. Maybe they have a social phobia. They may just not like you ;)) I stopped LONG ago trying to analyze why people behave the way they do. Like you always say, people vary. At the end of the day it is none of my business. I try not to judge.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1350079182|3284121 said:

Yes they do.

Finally! I've been waiting for you to admit that! :appl:

Yes, some suck in novel and previously unimaginable ways. Don't get me started . . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1350089270|3284227 said:

Yes they do.

Someone once said, "We hold these truths to be self-evident".

Just cuase they vary doesn't mean nobody sucks.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1350089670|3284233 said:

Yes they do.

Wait . . . is this like that SAT question "If all woozles are floozles, and all floozles are what's-its, are all woozles, what's-its"?

Translate; "if some people vary, and some that vary also suck . . . ".

Nope. I've lost it.

Note to self; do not post while having beer. :D

I always marked that one "no", anyway.

Oh, yeah, and all that texting is a bit much. Give me a break. :rolleyes: There's a whole big 3D world out here, enjoy it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No flames from me, Kenny - I agree.

(she writes, as she stares into her computer screen...)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
KaeKae|1350078963|3284120 said:
No flames from me, I agree. I fear that today's kids will not be able to function in the real world one day, unless every thing thing they do happens on a screen. Memos are done on email. Meetings via Skype. Texting in place of a phone call or dropping by a colleague's desk...

I hope that translates into secure employment for those of us who do know, haha. I refuse to text. I won't type with my thumbs. I don't have a smart phone. I have a plain old cell phone. Just leave a message; Maybe I'll call. Really. That's my policy. I am not at the world's beck and call 24/7/365. ;-D

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do this. I always do this. I need to be entertained while my dog walks in a million circles in the same location, searching for the "best spot" for his poo. I also don't like talking to strangers, and don't like looking at them. I hate the awkward feeling of catching strangers look at me, while I look at them. I guess I'm rude. :wink2: But I don't see why anyone should care what I do while I am walking my dog.

It's not like I ignore people that walk up to me, or walk close to me, or have a dog that comes to greet mine (which is super rare in this city.. no one has dogs! Or they don't walk them!). I do look away from my phone, so I don't run into people or things.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1350079481|3284128 said:
Haven, what's wrong with you and I that we don't join them?

Why don't we want what they are going after?
What's wrong with US? Darling, not one thing! ::)

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
They are all waiting for the next show me the bling post. ;-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS Admin|1350107452|3284349 said:
They are all waiting for the next show me the bling post. ;-)

Haha! You know what? I do go on PS while my baby is making his 100th circle before squatting! LOL!!!!!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1350090186|3284236 said:
kenny|1350089670|3284233 said:

Yes they do.

Wait . . . is this like that SAT question "If all woozles are floozles, and all floozles are what's-its, are all woozles, what's-its"?

Translate; "if some people vary, and some that vary also suck . . . ".

Nope. I've lost it.

Note to self; do not post while having beer. :D

I always marked that one "no", anyway.

Oh, yeah, and all that texting is a bit much. Give me a break. :rolleyes: There's a whole big 3D world out here, enjoy it!

LOL at the big 3D world! I remember when they were doing an Android ad campaign a few years ago - they were using words like "AWESOME BLAZING MIND-NUMBING SPEED, all without getting sand in your shorts" or some other OT phrasing, while showing an outstretched hand holding a device with a tiny video of a guy doing some amazing surfing in a tube. My husband, with a look of utter contempt on his face added something like , "Yes, Android, for those too chickens*** to get off the couch and go DO anything themselves."

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree, Kenny.

I know some people do need to do emergency business so that is valid. But I hate the damn playing with the phone or it stuck to one's ear all day that is crazy common. Then everyone needs to get the latest "whatever" and talk about it all day, every day. :nono:

My cell phone and plan are Ancient and I'm proud of it. I'm only going to get a new one if this one ever breaks. My plan is $15 a month and I rarely, rarely text.

I love the way you think, btw.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
The only time it really bothers me is when you're sitting with friends and they're texting away rather than engaging in conversation with you. The average joe on the street - yeah, I'd rather not talk to them. I'm a friendly person, but I don't feel the need to talk to everybody that comes into my line of sight, especially if my boyfriend is available to text. Why should strangers that I wouldn't talk to anyways take priority over somebody I care about just because of their proximity? If that was the case I'd never get to chat with my parents, siblings, or SO. But if I want to talk to the people around me, I have no problem at all putting the phone away and being completely present and engaged in my conversation.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a generational thing too. Some of us did not grow up in the tech age. We remember doing lots of things without access to a telephone much less a computer. My husband hates to think about me with a smartphone for fear I'll turn into the kids always looking at their phones! Doubtful. I can see them eating up free time but I still enjoy the interaction with people too much. It is just not a natural thing for me to always grab a phone. I've avoided the draw to it as I'm with computers at work and home so don't feel the need to have one away from home - save a few instances. For those instances, the convenience would be nice. Same was as it was having a cell period - convenient when needed!

This type of technology has change the world. When I'm out with my adult kids, someone is texting them every five seconds. I find it hard to believe that that many people need to touch base with you that frequently - I don't believe this is a variance in people - I think it is my age!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great points many of you bring up.
I'm certainly a grumpy old hypocrite, as I spend WAY to much time staring at THIS screen.

But yes the age thing is key.
The pic above IS the future.

I don't like it, but I must accept it and not let it bother me.
I DO ask my SO (who is 14 years younger) to put his phone away when we are sitting at a restaurant.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, generational or not, you ignore the world and the people in it at your peril. Ignoring real people has always been dangerous (aside from being rude and counterproductive to any real feeling of community), because when you do you deprive yourself of the opportunity to pick up on those vital non-verbal cues about those people and their intentions. And being blissfully engrossed in your digital world and unaware of your surroundings does not suspend the laws of physics - you'll still run into other people and objects - like walls and fountains - or they will be obliged to dodge you as you wander slowly, head down in the walkways (this happens often: I work in IT) or step obliviously out into traffic. Heck, we have a sanctioned IM system in our office, and half the time people IN YOUR LINE OF SIGHT, can't be bothered to take 10 steps to come over to talk in person. The amount and layers of information that can be gleaned in under a minute of face-to-face human communication is staggering compared to how long it takes to eplaaaaain it in type. What a waste of effort. If I have more to say than "how r u", I say it in person.

I really think that gadgets give us far too much opportunity and permission to give in to antisocial tendencies and to avoid messy, potentially upsetting and emotional, real human interactions.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I think you guys are assuming everyone is able to see their friends in person. Many cannot, due to distance. Many of my close friends live over 500 miles away, and we only see each other once or twice a year. How can you judge someone who prefer to talk to their friends, instead of strangers or people who may only be a co-worker or classmate during lunch? These strangers probably mean nothing to them.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My life is much enriched by my glowing little screens. I learn so much, all the time. I also keep in contact with friends and family who are far away. Whereas my parents don't keep up with high school or college classmates, I'm finding out old acquaintances just moved to town, or are around for the weekend, or just found out they're expecting, or just started a new graduate program. I'm constantly reading new things and sharing them with friends (or having friends share with me). My opinions about things, important and trivial, are being shaped by new information, helping me avoid getting entrenched in my initial views. True, I could look up from my phone more often, and maybe start more conversations with strangers, but as far as trade offs go, I am pretty happy the way things are.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results