shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever regret..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
..not getting a say in picking out your own diamond or ering?

I know many on PS did get to help pick out the diamond or the setting, but for those that didn't, do you ever regret not being able to do so?

My husband did an AMAZING job, and picked out a gorgeous diamond in a classic solitaire setting, and I love it. But sometimes I really wish that I had been able to pick out the diamond or setting myself. Just because I LOVE to shop for those kind of things and I am going to wear it forever (and I know I'll never do an upgrade or reset because we're both too sentimental for that). I'm kind of sad that I'll never get to do the leg work and the research and the feel the thrill of hunting down and nabbing the perfect diamond for my engagement ring.

What can I say, I love to shop for shinies, and I wish I could have participated in the shopping for what will likely be the the most expensive (and sentimental) jewelery purchase I make in the next 20 years. I read all these Rocky Talky threads, and I'm a little jealous since the search sounds like so much fun!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Whether you pick it out together or he picks it out himself, jewelry or an e-ring from your SO will be something you will treasure forever...personally, I love cherishing the surprise of a piece of jewelery I haven''t chosen myself and knowing my SO put a lot of time and effort into something he doesn''t really understand or care much about just because its something that he knows I will love it.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quite honestly, I wish I could have contributed to the budget to get a slightly bigger diamond.
2.gif

But, we were so rushed for time (decided to get married in March, in January) that he just used the cash he'd already saved for it, and insisted on doing it alone. Knowing he was planning on proposing later on in the summer, I sometimes wish we had that extra cushion to use. But, c'est la vie! Love my ring no matter what!
30.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Eh. Sometimes. I mostly wish I had been PS educated beforehand - I'd have a bigger rock at a bit of a lower color (I've got a .75 D VS2). But the man got me a wicked nice diamond for a price we could afford at the time. And it's GORGEOUS. And I get a kick out of the fact that it's a D, quite honestly. And he told me to reset it, LOL. And I did.
9.gif
So I kinda got the best of all worlds.

I thought for a while that I might eventually upgrade it, but honestly - I'm getting more and more sentimental as time goes on. So who knows.

ETA: I asked for and got a .75 too, by the way. So I guess I did get a bit of input right from the get go!

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
No. But only because if I had picked out my own diamond and setting, I likely wouldn''t have my upgrade and I love my upgrade!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I kind of wish I could have been involved in the process, just because it would have been so much fun! I love the ring my DH picked out, and I absolutely wouldn''t trade it now, but finding the ring together would have been romantic and awesome, too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2009 2:11:13 PM
Author: kittybean
I kind of wish I could have been involved in the process, just because it would have been so much fun! I love the ring my DH picked out, and I absolutely wouldn''t trade it now, but finding the ring together would have been romantic and awesome, too.

That''s mostly my sentiment. It''s not that I don''t love the ring, I just wish I didn''t have to miss out on the process because it sounds like so much fun!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
If you had asked me at the time, I probably would have wished I had gone with him. In retrospect, however, I rather glad I wasn''t involved. I probably would have picked out something intricate and delicate (rather than a simple solitaire) and then would have proceeded to trash it because I''m not at all careful with my jewelry.

My husband on the subject: Wait, you mean you can bring your girlfriend engagement ring shopping? Why did no one tell me this?!? It would have saved ME a whole lot of stress.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no regrets! I love saying that he picked it out all by himself when people ask. I am forever thankful to his friend who a diamond importer and she coached him on cut way before we knew PS. She rocks. If not for her, I am sure I would have regretted not being involved!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the only regret I have is not looking online and PS back then (though I bought his ring online and saved a bundle- I was very shy when it came to a big purchase like diamonds back then ..... NOT now though!), Like GeckoDani - I would have had more bang for the money.

MissChi

Rough_Rock
I wish I would have known about PS when we got engaged (6+ years ago). I have lurked for awhile and decided to recently join. I am so glad I did because this place is a wealth of knowledge filled with great people! At least when my 10 year anniversary rolls around and I''m looking to upgrade, I''ll now know where to turn!
1.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only regret I have is not knowing about Pricescope or trade-up policies when I bought my stone. Actually, I don''t even know if Pricescope existed when we were shopping for rings in late ''94/very early ''95. If I had known about on line vendors with trade-up policies, I would have purchased my stone through one of them because I always wanted a two plus carat diamond and now I''ll never have one with the money crunch and getting older and having to save for the future
14.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I love the diamond my FI picked out for me and I got to help pick out my setting but I do wish I had known about PS prior. I which I knew the differences between the kinds of cushions and then had fun with the research for the perfect diamond. That right there is my only regret!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 12:09:44 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Quite honestly, I wish I could have contributed to the budget to get a slightly bigger diamond.
2.gif

He is letting me pick it out but I really wish he would let me do that!!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had more say in my ring, when we decided it was time to upgrade from my .18ct round to a new diamond in 2001, I let my husband decided what to buy, now keep in mind we are a little older and some men of that era think they should pick out wedding rings for there wifes so with that mentality I let him pick it out and he gave it to me for Christmas. I has always been drawn to square stones so he decided I would want a princess (which I did at the time) and he wanted it to be at least 1ct (its 1.01) so I guess he did good in that area, but he choose a ring wrap as a wedding band, I disliked it from the first time I saw it and was quite disappointed, but I put on a smile and wore it for many years, but I had to have the head of ring replaced because the ring wrap ate into my prongs, I was glad, lol, I could finally replace the band
36.gif
Now I have a band I really like, but I would like to change the diamond, but everytime I talk about upgraded the diamond he gets a hurt look on his face, so I dont.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2009 8:47:30 AM
Author: ckrickett
Date: 10/2/2009 12:09:44 PM

Author: LaurenThePartier

2.gif

He is letting me pick it out but I really wish he would let me do that!!!

Huh?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I don''t think I''ll ever upgrade my ering because of sentimental value (we''re both big balls of goo when it comes to that. For our wedding, I wore the necklace he gave me on our first dating anniversary, even though it didn''t match anything else I wore during my wedding, lol).

So I don''t think I''ll really ever get to have fun researching a big diamond purchase for myself since I doubt I''ll ever be buying a diamond bigger than my ering diamond (something tells me it would bruise his ego).

It''s ok though, I get to research diamonds for my friends who are getting engaged, and that''s fun too! Maybe one day I''ll pic out a smaller diamond to set as a solitaire pendant.
1.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yup, there are always solitaire pendants, right hand rings, earring studs...
9.gif

I feel extremely lucky that I was able to participate in the decision. I am a big control freak and wouldn''t have wanted it any other way. I would have of course been grateful for a great engagement ring, but it''s just different. The fact that my husband gave me license to choose my own ring shows how much he knows me, loves me, and respects my choices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results