shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever buy stuff you don't use … or … more money than brains

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever bought something you never used, or have not used yet?

I bought a very fancy photo printer over a year ago that I haven't even unpacked.

Come clean.
Confess your crime … :errrr:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ever buy stuff you don't use … or … more money than bra

Too much esp when younger. Too many purses. I can't bear to part with them because I still love looking at them. I hope my daughter will like them. But since I started on diamonds I have let stopped buying them. :). Used to buy clothes I didn't wear. No longer either.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hate flossing so my mom gave me a water flossing machine 2 years ago. Haven't opened it yet. :nono:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster|1399667011|3669228 said:
I hate flossing so my mom gave me a water flossing machine 2 years ago. Haven't opened it yet. :nono:

Just as well.
IMO, old fashioned flossing is superior to any electronic thingie.

Never floss in front of a mirror … watch a film or something absorbing.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I bought a pair of red drapes about 1 and a half yrs ago, and they still are in a cabinet with a new set of purple sweats that i bought at the same time. I don't know if the drapes will ever find themselves on my windows, but I know there are times when I just have to all clean and new, and that will be when I have the pleasure of putting on my brand new purple sweat suit and feel good.

Now you all can see how silly I can be at times.

Annette

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock

I rarely wear makeup, but I keep buying unnecessary stuff every time I go to sephora. This needs to stop.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

DH did the dumbest one here. Bought a rowing machine at a yard sale that I KNEW he would never touch, spent a few hundred bucks on it. It gathered dust in the guest room until we moved -- at our yard sale, nobody was moron enough to buy it, so we threw it away.

I have bathroom wallpaper that has sat in the closet for 10 years! Now I don't like it anymore. :rolleyes:

--- Laurie

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

A pair of nice roller skates. They are still in the box. They've been in my closet over ten years. I still plan to use them. ;))

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

A block of land before GFC and thought I was going to set up a second buisness. The GFC hit like 3-6 months later and now it's worth half that value!!!! ;(
Bugs me to this very day. Market is slowly climbing back up. Just want to sell it and cut losses. But have been seeing for sale signs out there and it isn't looking good- ie they haven't sold.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

yes. more than once.....

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

a new coffee pot, because I thought the old one was on the verge of breaking. It's still in the box in the garage, but I will need it eventually. I once bought one of the phonics reading programs to do with my kids and never once opened the dumb thing. That was a several hundred dollar mistake.

I have a Lo & Sons travel bag that I have had for a year and haven't taken a single trip yet. We have been busy paying of school loans and saving. But I will!!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny|1399665613|3669215 said:
Have you ever bought something you never used, or have not used yet?

I bought a very fancy photo printer over a year ago that I haven't even unpacked.

Come clean.
Confess your crime … :errrr:
Oh god, so much. Makeup is particularly a problem. But paper stuff for my business, out of control. Office supplies galore. Gadgets. Travel bags, makeup bags, bags. I am a total addict. I know that my blogging is NOT helping this issue.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1399745919|3669833 said:
a new coffee pot, because I thought the old one was on the verge of breaking. It's still in the box in the garage, but I will need it eventually. I once bought one of the phonics reading programs to do with my kids and never once opened the dumb thing. That was a several hundred dollar mistake.

I have a Lo & Sons travel bag that I have had for a year and haven't taken a single trip yet. We have been busy paying of school loans and saving. But I will!!!!
I LOVE LO&SONS! I bought the Catalina bag in Indigo the day it launched er Tuesday? and got it yesterday (and I have a Thistle as well...) and thankfully I finally get to use them in a few weeks. I blog about them all the time. They make a great product. I used my Bloomingdales Tote bags til at least two of them started to split at the seams. My mom is going to repair them for me, but til that happens (I still have pants she was going to fix from like a year ago...) I figured I need bags I can use. I love them. All my stuff fits, including my spacepak bags from Flight001. I usually put clothes in one, and toiletries and mags in the other.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My husband bought one of these...he tried to like it but got tired of cleaning up the water that got all over the sink.
He's back to the $1.99 floss. So ...didnt work out for him either.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So much make up, perfume, nail polishes, and other beauty products over the years. What a waste of money!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definitely nail polishes. I really love pretty polish but I rarely wear it. I hate chipped nails and I like low maintenance and basically that equals no color on my nails. Yet I continue to purchase pretty colors. What's that definition of insanity again? :cheeky:

And I have been known to purchase pocketbooks that sit in their dust bags for a year or two. But then I remember and start using them so not in the category of stuff I don't use but rather the category of stuff I don't use yet but will ultimately use. At least for the most part.

Let's not get into all the pairs of boots (thousands of dollars spent for all the boots I just had to have) I have purchased over the last few years and somehow managed to have only worn my three favorite pairs all winter and spring lol. The thing is, unless somehow my feet grow ( and oh I really hope that doesn't happen as my feet are already as huge as boats!) I know I will ultimately be wearing them all. I go through cycles of what I like to wear and they will not go to waste barring some freak foot growing event. ::)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Oh dear missy I have the same boots problem! I have too many pairs and not enough room to have them out, so at least 15 pairs are stored in boxes and I've never worn half of them. I'm hoping once I get my dream walk in closet (when??) then they'll all be worn on rotation. I have also 4 handbags in the same position.... Sigh.

NTave

Shiny_Rock

I bought a computer monitor that has never gotten any play time..I bought it so I could view multiple journal articles when I was researching and for writing papers, but Ive never used it. A laptop is enough.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rosetta|1399807474|3670248 said:
Oh dear missy I have the same boots problem! I have too many pairs and not enough room to have them out, so at least 15 pairs are stored in boxes and I've never worn half of them. I'm hoping once I get my dream walk in closet (when??) then they'll all be worn on rotation. I have also 4 handbags in the same position.... Sigh.

I feel your pain rosetta! I have use of all the closets but one in our apartment (that's 6 sizable closets for me bless my dh) and it is still not enough space for all my stuff here lol. And I do have a walk in at the beach but it still won't be big enough when we move there full time for all my clothes and shoes from both places so what to do what to do. I am thinking of converting part of our huge unfinished attic at the beach house to a lovely and large walk in closet however that expense might be considerable because it would need to be insulated and temperature/humidity controlled. Not sure what cost we are talking here but oh what a dream closet that would be! :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

After I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" I got on the juicing bandwagon, spent $209 on a juicer. Missed actual food after three days, now it goes unused under the sink.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

tyty333|1399762002|3670001 said:

My husband bought one of these...he tried to like it but got tired of cleaning up the water that got all over the sink.

Dont throw it away - I use mine most days to clean my solitaire. I wouldn't try it on anything delicate, and certainly not on pave, but for cleaning a robust platinum setting with a dirt-magnet stepcut, it works beautifully!

eta, more than once, I've bought shoes that aren't black. Never once have I actually worn shoes that aren't black.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock

I typically don't buy something without thinking about it for awhile first... if I do buy something and don't use it for a few weeks, I usually return it...

However I never seem to return gems, even if I'm not 100% on them and never plan on setting them. Perhaps that's because most of my gems are $150 or less. I enjoy them for the color or the sparkle but my husband thinks they're a waste if they're not set... and, technically, they're not being "used". It seems odd to me to spend $400+ on a setting when the gem costs less than half that?

Plus I haven't been wearing my set diamonds/gemstone rings at all since I moved seven months ago. My fingers are swollen from the heat and they feel uncomfortable. Nor have I been wearing my pendants so they don't get slimed with suntan lotion... :roll:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333|1399762002|3670001 said:

Really!?!

I love ours! Use it every couple of days or better. That plus the little floss stick things and my gums are happy. I always hated to floss but the extra fine floss holder things are great with my cramped teeth. I've actually taken to carrying them in the car and flossing throughout the day :bigsmile:

Dh HAD to have curtains for our theater room. Like before we even had a couch...
So we found just the right fabric in just the right color (dang this guy is picky about fabric!) and bought almost $1,000 worth. It is STILL sitting in the box they packed it in (rolled up) waiting for us to get around to making the curtains.... that we're not sure if we really want anyway. Been almost 9 years :nono:

Me?
Plants. Full grown, sprouts, even seeds. I have to buy them. I'm always sure I can find room for more when I see a great color or a good price.
I've got 9 more packets of seeds in front of me. Decided I better actually plant them this year. No clue where to put them though :rolleyes:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

I buy out of character stuff on vacation sometimes. :oops:
I have a pink designer wallet I bought in Honolulu 2 or 3 years ago and have NEVER used it. I have no idea what I was thinking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to be very careful not to buy jewelry that I like but won't really wear. I already have a few really nice things that I almost never wear. I am trying to be more careful about buying fewer things, and ones that will be wearable for me now as well as future heirlooms.

I rarely buy stuff just to buy it because my extra money goes towards the bling fund!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bought a flash treadmill a number of years ago and I've used it maybe 10 times. It likes to sit there mocking me when I walk past it....

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've done this in the past, but I have tried to be good and do sell things from time to time when I want something new and can't justify the purchase.
Also, I used to almost "covet" a new piece. LIke I would get something, be it shoes, jewelry or bags, and not use if for months and months. I now make every effort to wear every single thing I get as soon as I get it.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock

Not fun to admit, but yes have done that in the past on shoes, clothes, a whole plethora of stuff including some FCDs. At least overall better about it now.

Kroshka

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ask me again after I've cleaned out my closets. Between retiring this AND going up a size this past year - and years of being a dedicated (and somewhat insane but very discriminating) bargain hunter - I know there will be stuff that will be given away "new with tags."

I know I have four pairs of shoes in boxes that I haven't worn yet. The only pair I bought full-price is a pair of hiking shoes I bought for a specific hike - but I got sick that weekend. Will still wear them some day, I swear. :wink2: They were bought at REI and I can probably still return them, but... a girl has to have hiking boots just in case, right?

I have a big box of colored gemstones that I bought before PS. Most were bargain priced (including a bunch bought as "mixed lots :roll: )but not all... I've only had five or six set, and I've given a few as gifts. Definitely more money than brains, but I still buy the occasional colored gemstone on ebay just to see what the stone looks like IRL. =)

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock

I bought a fancy home network drive that I have no idea how to use. I'm terrified of setting it up wrong and losing all of my photos so it just sits in the box :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results