shape
carat
color
clarity

EU Referendum: Best night to Buy Kiki!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About being flippant, the polls were well underway into the American evening here and Brexit had horrifyingly started to move ahead, yet nobody on Pricescope had posted one single word about it, not one comment in the Random thread or in any other thread, let alone started an actual thread about it. So forgive me for getting the impression that people here hadn't noticed and didn't care if they had. In addition, no one here has mentioned it in all the hot political weeks leading up to this referendum. Trump has been weighing in for a while and it's been a burning issue in the international press for quite some time. If someone had started a political thread and all the stuff written here already existed as a serious discussion, I'd never have jumped in with a comment about Kiki. But since the entire website was ignoring the meltdown across the pond in the moment it was happening, it seemed that no one was that bothered. How interesting that the minute an opportunity to be humorless and pious came along, suddenly people cared like crazy! Don't get me wrong, I'm totally flame-retardant and could care less, but I'd just like to point out that bit of self-righteous hypocrisy. Europe was politically aflame and no one cared enough to utter one syllable about it. Even as Brexit started to emerge, even as the world's jaw dropped, still no one said a word, so forgive me if some of the hand-wringing doesn't exactly possess the cold clear tones of truth.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. What matters is what's happened in Europe. When Brexit started to emerge at about eleven, I thought it was a moment of high drama before self-correcting - because of course it would self-correct. Nothing like this has happened in my lifetime and I read that no country has ever left the EU. At midnight I still thought that all the Remainers would come out of the shadows and cast their votes.

Is Britain still part of Europe if it's not part of the European Union? Britain is not on the continent of Europe. I asked this above but I don't think I've received any answers, as yet. perhaps I'm not the only person who doesn't know! :lol:

I agree with comments about how "interesting" it will be to see what happens next, and I think the Brentrance discussion is particularly intriguing. "Brentrance" - isn't that just a Deb classic?

I don't like that Nigel Farage. He's the UKIP party, which is very right-wing. He's helped cause all this trouble. I also don't like the pretentious way he says his name "Far-age" which makes him sound like some elegant Frenchman when in fact he's a Trump-like figure. He's plain old Farridge, as far as I'm concerned!

As much as many of us wish this hadn't happened, the populace has spoken, you know? I suppose it is what it is. The Chinese have a curse that says the thing about "May you live in changing times," which makes me want to do a long, hollow laugh because it seems we live in nothing but changing times.

CMD - hey there! Thanks for your post. :wavey:

Kenny - that is a very funny comment about Kiki's shoes!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a Brit, I personally feel this was absolutely the wrong outcome and I remain in shock! :o and am worried about the ramifications for years, heck for decades to come, both in the UK and worldwide!!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1466817451|4047905 said:
Just to ask some questions...

Can you name a decision that the US has consulted globally on, to ask how the world feels about it before making the decision?

Did the US bankers bundling toxic sub-prime mortgage debts up with top-grade debts to sell on and make a quick profit (which then triggered the 2008 global financial markets crash, the collapse of previously enormous banks with a multitude of job losses and debt write-offs, a worldwide fall in house prices, and a global recession that we are still feeling the effects of and will do for a while yet) ask the rest of the world if they wanted to take such a risk?

Did the US IRS consult the rest of the world before enacting its programme of harvesting taxation from worldwide earnings of US citizens, even if the income is earnt and spent in an entirely different country to the US?

Did the US ask the rest of the world if it was ok with its programme of Extraordinary Rendition of suspects, with little or no published evidence in some cases, to hold them in isolation cells and without trial for unspecified periods of time in facilties outside of US soil and therefore outside of the laws of the US, seemingly often using torture, with the subsequent ruling that victims of such an experience have no legal right to sue the US government for torture suffered overseas?

Did the US ask the rest of the world to vote before pulling the trigger on Osama bin Laden in a country outside of the US and therefore outside of US law or jurisdiction?

Has the US ever extradited any of its citizens to other countries for legal trials, all the while extraditing citizens from all over the world to be put through the US justice system at its whim?

And to refer back to my earlier comment, would you tell the victim of a bully to shut up whining because it would inconvenience you if they made a stand?

I wouldn't mind that sort of comment so much if the US government didn't seemingly consider itself 'the policeman of the world' and above any sort of reproach for any actions it decides to take, even if no-one else likes them :lol:

First, I'm not American. You seem to have assumed I was, which is what I presume triggered the anti-American sentiment.

But I have to say that the world is a safer place without Osama bin Lauden. There is also a near universal belief among sovereign nations that if you commit an act of war against them, they will take whatever action that they see fit to neutralize the threat and restore the safety and security of their country. This is not unique to the US. One doesn't have to look far into the history of almost any country to find examples. Some places even extend this to joining with allies who have been attacked. Like most of the Western world did during WWI & WWII, and like NATO has done in more modern times.

You should also know that Americans do stand trial for crimes committed in other countries. To my knowledge this has happened in Japan, Germany, Canada, Iran, Egypt, Cuba, Mexico, North Korea, Russia, Italy, Thailand, and Indonesia, although I'm sure there are a host of others. Like the agreements that the US has with other countries, those tried and convicted of major crimes typically serve their sentences in the prison of the country in which the crime was committed, and are then deported back to the US.

Extradition also does occur, although of course for a variety of reasons there are exceptions. It may interest you to know that many countries (like mine) refuse to extradite to the US when it is a death penalty case, as many countries are morally opposed to the death penalty. These things are not one-sided.

In addition, the IRS position on the taxation of citizens living abroad is not unique to the US. Many countries (including mine) elect to tax their citizens working abroad in order to cover their share of programs that they will be eligible for upon return home (like welfare, medicare, medicaid, and old age security pensions if we are talking about the US; other countries have similar programs). It is not a policy which affects the host country, as those countries have the legal right (and exercise it) to tax workers' income earned within their borders as well as to enact any other taxes they see as appropriate such as sales tax/VAT, property taxes, gas taxes, carbon taxes, etc. There are also often taxation trade agreements in which one country may collect a tax while the other receives an agreed upon portion of it. So if the US wants to tax their own citizens, they have the right to do so. It shouldn't be anyone else's concern.

As for seeking the opinion of the world, the US is a part of the United Nations and every UN resolution has involved collaboration between the US and all of the other nations represented in the UN. The US only has one veto. Just like Russia, the UK, France, and China. It's also no accident that the US hosts the UN in NYC. The US invented it. There's a lovely monument just outside of San Francisco where the first summit was held in 1945.

The US is also a member of NATO. So every NATO mission has involved collaboration between the US and other members of NATO (This includes 27 other countries including Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, the Czech Repulic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal,
Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, AND the UK).

It should also be noted that we disproportionately expect the US to fund, equip, and staff both the UN and NATO, including any interventions which are decided upon. We also expect them to provide massive amounts of foreign aid. And they do. And we all benefit from it. If they seem to think that they are the police of the world, it's generally because they are in reality the only ones capable of doing it (and we let them do it because we don't have the population, tax base, money, weaponry, or political will to do so). It's a universal truth that whoever pays for something tends to have the greatest decision making power. I'm not saying that US foreign policies have always resulted in comfortable choices (especially not when looked at with the benefit of historical hindsight), or that some of their perspectives on social issues make sense to my way of thinking, but that could be said of many countries including my own. Most European countries also have somewhat questionable histories in this regard. Colonization would be but one example...

As for the rest of it, I'm not sure 'I'm going to do what's good for me and scr*w the rest of the world' is a sound moral stance, no matter who is taking it. It never ends well for anyone. I'm sad that as a whole we seem to be moving back into a more isolationist stance rather than a global one, but I can see the reasons why this would be the case.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya you're right nobody were discussing this on Pricescope and probably most Pricescoper readers doesn't care, but it doesn't mean maybe a few people, especially those from Europe weren't doing so off Pricescope.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1466779543|4047501 said:
Hi Jambalya,

I don't see what you posted as any different than these same people telling us they buy diamonds in the US because of currency valuations. We're so cheaphere. Our poor Arkie also complained about the strong dollar.

This is the time to take a trip to England as well as buy Kiki.

The sky is not always falling. The Brits have kept the pound and things will work themselves out. Stop panicking! One thing I know about this forum. Most people don't understand economics at all.

Annette

I have only "complained about the dollar" in relation to two things, Aussies coming on here regularly stating they cannot afford to buy things from the US any more and in relation to Americans in general whining about Obama, and your cost of living (we and most of Europe pay substantially more for everything), if I mention our dollar generally, I was merely point out to a number of our conservative PS members the world is wider than the US and they don't really need to cry wolf about being over taxed etc... all the time.

Having said that it will be fascinating to see if Trump gets in now on the back of what has just happened, global panic, and conservative nationalist sentiment seems like global movement at the moment in many Western Societies. I shudder to think if Trump does get elected - that will be the next shock wave we will all face and what ultimately that will end up looking like.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1466832892|4048074 said:
Jambalaya you're right nobody were discussing this on Pricescope and probably most Pricescoper readers doesn't care, but it doesn't mean maybe a few people, especially those from Europe weren't doing so off Pricescope.
* don't care. :mrgreen:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya, my post was a reaction on your seemingly flippant attitude towards a situation thats is or will not be beneficial for many (which will extent to many countries outside the UK). That's all. To me it fellt like celebrating while 48% of the UK (mainly younger and higher educated citizens) are in shock. You are very right about the fact that now and the period to come is the best time to buy UK products. And it's totally fine to benefit from that and will actually stimulate the economy. I just did not appreciate the tone of your post (though I did not mean to be mean; it probably feels less impactful if you are on the other side of the globe). I am not in the UK but in the EU and our ultra right wing politicians have started a lobby for a Nexit and Franxit (the Netherlands and France). Developments in the UK have it's impact in Europa and globally...

With a dropping pound a visit to the beautiful UK will be more accessible for many and so will the products. Till now the pound was so strong that it was way to expensive to impoirt goods from the UK. And indeed: the more additional visitors and the more products bought, the sooner the effects of the shockwave will help to take a positive turn again.

The UK must now officially file at the EU in Brussels that it wants to leave and after that it will take 2 years of negatiations with the other countries before the UK can and will actually leave. So today... Nothing's changed really although the pound and share prices speak differently.

This is a very complex matter and the politicians have failed to explain it well. So, for some it was all about immigration while Cameron kept explaining the economic side of the matter.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weird. A triple post :roll:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There doesn't appear to be an air of celebration even from those who voted Leave, I think the enormity of what they have done is beginning to hit home. It's all very depressing. My kids, in their teens, are absolutely horrified.

As far as this relates to diamond or jewellery purchasing- well, with the stronger dollar I won't now be buying my ACA studs for a very long time..........

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1466832892|4048074 said:

Actually, sometimes I am astounded at how little discussion there is of world affairs here on Pricescope. Huge natural disasters occur without a mention, and enormous political upheavals take place without comment. But, as you say, Lovinggems, it doesn't mean that people are not discussing these matters at home. Maybe they don't want to be the ones to come onto Pricescope every day to post the news of a hurricane; volcano eruption; earthquake; mine disaster; plane downing; sinking of a ferry with refugees; and so forth. If one takes on the job of apprising Pricescopers of all the disasters in the world, one becomes the newscaster here.

AGBF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Brexit, A Still Life."

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. :(sad

brexit___a_still_life.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just going to post this without comment, because I'd be shaking my head in utter disbelief if I didn't know that half my own country is intent on taking Trump to bed:
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/24/480949383/britains-google-searches-for-what-is-the-eu-spike-after-brexit-vote
(Note the keyword: after)

Jamba, I'm sorry you got jumped on in this thread. And I'm sorry for all Brits who are looking at an uncertain future through no fault of their own, and I very much hope this is not the prelude to the US vote.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acimon, if people had been expressing their feelings about this prior to my post, I wouldn't have made it. But no one did, so forgive me for thinking it wasn't an issue for anyone here and that pointing out we can actually get these amazing luxury goods for a bit less was OK. I zoomed in on Kiki because her mark-ups are truly eye-watering, and because I adore her jewelry.

Not one word has been said about this on Pricescope all along. How was I supposed to know that apparently all these posters have portfolios that are now affected? No one posted about being nervous, no one posted about being worried, no one posted about being concerned for the world markets or the British, in any way at all. I'm not a mind reader. Also, I'm not going to pretend that it affects me. I don't borrow trouble, and it's not my time to cry. The reason I know that is there have been plenty of other times in my life to cry - and I can tell you that when those times arrive, no one gives me any special treatment or modifies their comments or speech so as not to hurt me, not in any way whatsoever! Speaking generally, not Pricescope.

Anyway, none of that matters. I don't care what's said, I just think it's amusing. I'm quick to forgive and am not easily offended. It will be our turn in November, remember? When the election is going on, the dollar is bound to weaken. If Trump gets in, I expect the dollar will weaken quite a lot, although I don't know for how long. If anyone in Europe or elsewhere in the world was able to buy something beautiful from the US that they'd been craving, for less, I'd be delighted for them. As cmd wrote above, it would be a bright spot. I won't be offended if any of our European cousins get some great jewelry from the US in November and I'll be happy to ooh and aah over it, rather than begrudging their happiness and excitement. Experience has taught me that I cannot expect others' emotions to mirror mine on things that affect me but not them. Don't our Canadian friends also have trouble with the exchange rate when buying from the US? If the markets give the Canadians a break on that in November, so they can buy at last, I'd be so happy for them! So, let the record reflect that any happiness about buying jewelry on a weak dollar in November is fine by me and no one needs to hide their excitement about it in case they offend me as an American when our rates fall. Go for it, I say!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.

I have read that the millenials in England were in favor of staying while the boomers/slackers wanted to split. It seems a bit sad that the millenials may have to bear the pain of the split. I've come to the conclusion that England will go into a recession, travel to England will be a plus for Americans, Scotland is going to bolt the Commonwealth as might Northern Ireland, the EU may or may not treat Great Britain poorly in the breakup. Can you imagine needing a passport to go from England to Scotland? smh. I akin this to the hatred in the USA of illegal and legal aliens. I lived in Texas for 17 years, all the lawn services I had were Hispanic (except one that was the worst EVERAH). My cleaning lady was a legal from Mexico, I had a service for a year that was not hispanic and they were terrible. So maybe HIspanics work harder in Austin.... so I moved back up to New England, (don't have a lawn service because EVERYTHING is more expensive in the great northeast - plus hubby retired and can sit on a mower pretty easily). All the services are white, native Americans up here, I've yet to see a Hispanic here in over 2 years now. truly I thought it's just too far or too cold?.. then I started thinking maybe the illegals ARE taking jobs in Austin that natives might have taken but are underbid. When I was working in a less than stellar part of Austin I had to drive thru a really crummy subdivision to get to the highway and there was several houses where there were Mexican guys all in white painter suits sitting around drinking brewskies and shooting the whatever.. I was told that they were illegals who come and rent sub-par homes and 10-20 people live in one house making the rent CHEAP for each... if this is really true then they could do work more cheaply than a native.. sooo I'm of two minds...

The immigrants in England were legals from like Lithuania trying for a better life. How will the split affect me? so far my investments lost all gains from January. If I were living in England I think I would be a bit afraid for the future.

kenny|1466870478|4048221 said:

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
As an American who has been living in the UK for over a dozen years, I have to say, this is one of the more distressing things I've ever seen. The country feels absolutely torn apart at the moment. It's hard to convey exactly how devastating a rift it's not so much caused, as exposed. My husband and I are very firmly in the remain camp, and our teenaged children are completely horrified.

My own suspicion is that the economic turmoil will eventually settle--I'm not sure the political turmoil will. It would be completely unsurprising to me if Scotland and Northern Ireland break from the UK, and at this point, I think they're justified in doing so. I'm not generally a doom and gloom person, but in historical terms, 1939 is not so long ago, and at the moment, there is a very worrying rise in far right groups all over Europe, and I think this is absolutely the wrong moment to dissolve bonds (albeit stained bonds) of political unity.

While both sides have been relatively dishonest in the lead up to this, every detailed analysis I read, saw or heard, seemed to indicate that the Brexit camp was deliberately distorting facts, and it's hard not to feel like this has more to do with personal political ambitions and maneueverings than with the good of the UK. It's also become very clear today that the Brexit teams have no real plan or coherent ideas on what to do next. They don't know when or how to exit- the EU is not at this point inclined to be patient, and they have to figure out their own internal issues on when and who for PM (my money's on Theresa May, who was a quiet Remain person).

I sort of suspect that Boris Johnson et al believed Remain would win, but Cameron would be weakened, and he would have his moment. They looked completely shellshocked yesterday morning. They also now have to deal with the fact that the Brexit voters are an extremely ideologically divided group- the Farage Brexit voters do seem mostly motivated by xenophobia and racism and lack of education, and the Johnson Brexit voters by, I don't know, some nostalgic notion of British sovereignty. They are going to have a terribly hard job appeasing both groups. Not to mention that nearly half the country did not want to leave and they need to figure out how to mollify them (us) or they won't be in office long.

There has already been a huge amount of back-pedalling on critical promises made during the campaign. One interesting little fact is that the areas that voted most heavily for leaving are the areas that receive the most money in EU grants. They are now turning to the UK government, expecting them to hand out the same money, and I think they are going to be very surprised.

I heard some speculation today that the more modern Cameron conservatives and the anti-Corbyn labour mps might form a new party. All things considered, that might be interesting.

Sorry for such a long post - just trying to convey what an absolutely life-changing event it was.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaaron|1466883303|4048285 said:
As an American who has been living in the UK for over a dozen years, I have to say, this is one of the more distressing things I've ever seen. The country feels absolutely torn apart at the moment. It's hard to convey exactly how devastating a rift it's not so much caused, as exposed. My husband and I are very firmly in the remain camp, and our teenaged children are completely horrified.

My own suspicion is that the economic turmoil will eventually settle--I'm not sure the political turmoil will. It would be completely unsurprising to me if Scotland and Northern Ireland break from the UK, and at this point, I think they're justified in doing so. I'm not generally a doom and gloom person, but in historical terms, 1939 is not so long ago, and at the moment, there is a very worrying rise in far right groups all over Europe, and I think this is absolutely the wrong moment to dissolve bonds (albeit stained bonds) of political unity.

While both sides have been relatively dishonest in the lead up to this, every detailed analysis I read, saw or heard, seemed to indicate that the Brexit camp was deliberately distorting facts, and it's hard not to feel like this has more to do with personal political ambitions and maneueverings than with the good of the UK. It's also become very clear today that the Brexit teams have no real plan or coherent ideas on what to do next. They don't know when or how to exit- the EU is not at this point inclined to be patient, and they have to figure out their own internal issues on when and who for PM (my money's on Theresa May, who was a quiet Remain person).

I sort of suspect that Boris Johnson et al believed Remain would win, but Cameron would be weakened, and he would have his moment. They looked completely shellshocked yesterday morning. They also now have to deal with the fact that the Brexit voters are an extremely ideologically divided group- the Farage Brexit voters do seem mostly motivated by xenophobia and racism and lack of education, and the Johnson Brexit voters by, I don't know, some nostalgic notion of British sovereignty. They are going to have a terribly hard job appeasing both groups. Not to mention that nearly half the country did not want to leave and they need to figure out how to mollify them (us) or they won't be in office long.

There has already been a huge amount of back-pedalling on critical promises made during the campaign. One interesting little fact is that the areas that voted most heavily for leaving are the areas that receive the most money in EU grants. They are now turning to the UK government, expecting them to hand out the same money, and I think they are going to be very surprised.

I heard some speculation today that the more modern Cameron conservatives and the anti-Corbyn labour mps might form a new party. All things considered, that might be interesting.

Sorry for such a long post - just trying to convey what an absolutely life-changing event it was.

Jaaron, this is a very eloquent description of events, thank you. You have summed up the facts as I see them perfectly!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both Jaaron and Snowdrop, for the insights and analyses. Some of us here in the states are watching with almost as much horror as you. I'm in contact with a few Brits on FB and other fora, and of those, to a man, they are about as gut-shot as you guys are.

I just hope so hard that we escape something similar in horror in November...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a really interesting topic, with some great posts explaining different sides very clearly and without rancor. I like it.

I've had some internet issues, so am logging on intermittently and have to catch up on reading them all.

Yssie - thanks.

Kenny - that's an interesting photo. Look, no one can compete with the French for the range and quality of their gourmet food! But from friends and acquaintances that have been the england in recent years, I've heard the food is excellent these days and nothing like the stereotypes of the past!

Perhaps this vote isn't what many wanted, but the british are a very resilient nation with the second-largest European economy behind only Germany (just read about it in the Wall Street Journal) so I'm sure that whatever happens, they will be just fine. The fact remains that the majority voted out, so not everyone is horror-struck. I am, though. I believe in the value of partnership and the idea of Britain not being in the EU just somehow seems really odd. I've done some reading and it seems that no one really knows how it's all going to pan out.

It will be interesting to see if the Leavers are right and if Britain gains strong trade links with Asia, and becomes an even wealthier nation. Before, when they were on their own, they romped off and conquered much of the world! Now they've turned themselves loose again! :errrr:

:D

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that no other country has left the EU, but then I read that this is not true, and Greenland left over thirty years ago. It's a very interesting story. Greenland left mainly because they were fed up with the EU dictating how much fish they could take from their own waters, and seeing EU trawlers around taking it. Since they left, their fisheries have grown extremely strong and they are better off as a nation.

Of course, this is a completely different proposition from the UK's situation. The UK economy is vastly more complex, whereas Greenland was a simpler economy acting out of concern for mostly one key issue. However, it's an interesting tale.

Even if Britain goes back in at some point, I do think that this is a warning to Brussels that they cannot be too restrictive or high-handed with their member states. The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday quoted this speech from Donald Tusk, European Council President, made in late May:

"Obsessed with the idea of instant and total integration, we failed to notice that ordinary people, the citizens of Europe, do not share out Euro-enthusiasm...The specter of a breakup is haunting Europe, and a vision of a federation doesn't seem to me like the best answer to it."

The article then goes on to say that some other countries have higher levels of disapproval of the EU than Britain. It says the Netherlands, 46% had an unfavorable view of the EU, Germany and the UK 48%, Spain 49%, and France 61%. That's quite a shocking figure about France.

If so many feel a degree of disapproval toward the EU, it does beg the question of what the EU is doing wrong to make people feel this way?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - there's something very wrong with that picture you posted of the French food. On the left is a packet of Kerrygold Irish butter!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Jaron's post - great info. While I'm sure many leavers were motivated only by economic concerns and wanting Britain to be able to trade more freely, it does seem as if there's also a really horrible racist and xenophobic element around as well. Sigh. Even in 2016, we can't seem to rid the world of such attitudes, which is depressing. I'm going to think about all the positive progress made on these issues in the last 40-50 years, though, to keep from focusing too much on the other elements, such as figures like Nigel "Far-age" Farridge. It's interesting how other countries have some raging right-wing figures like America does, and of course France has Le Pen.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1466898595|4048364 said:
Kenny - there's something very wrong with that picture you posted of the French food. On the left is a packet of Kerrygold Irish butter!

screen_shot_2016-06-25_at_5.png

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha ha!

I wonder who the next prime minister will be when David Cameron goes. I wonder if UK people want to kill him for calling this referendum. I'd feel like that, I think, if I lived there. I thought he was pro-Europe. Maybe he thought the leavers would never win.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No need to feel embarrassed, kenny --KerryGold is in the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland. So that butter is the product of what is still an EU country ;))

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1466872677|4048229 said:
Acimon, if people had been expressing their feelings about this prior to my post, I wouldn't have made it. But no one did, so forgive me for thinking it wasn't an issue for anyone here and that pointing out we can actually get these amazing luxury goods for a bit less was OK. I zoomed in on Kiki because her mark-ups are truly eye-watering, and because I adore her jewelry.
Not one word has been said about this on Pricescope all along. How was I supposed to know that apparently all these posters have portfolios that are now affected? No one posted about being nervous, no one posted about being worried, no one posted about being concerned for the world markets or the British, in any way at all. I'm not a mind reader. Also, I'm not going to pretend that it affects me. I don't borrow trouble, and it's not my time to cry. The reason I know that is there have been plenty of other times in my life to cry - and I can tell you that when those times arrive, no one gives me any special treatment or modifies their comments or speech so as not to hurt me, not in any way whatsoever! Speaking generally, not Pricescope. * * *
I truly "get" that, when you made your initial post, you didn't appreciate the deleterious impact the swift, sharp plummet of the pound would have on those living in the UK and beyond. But that lack of awareness doesn't explain your immediately following posts. Honestly, my head snapped upon reading your I'm American and I'm not going to clutch my pearls and pretend that something affects me personally when it doesn't response -- typed after GK2 and chemgirl gave you a good idea of why it's a BFD.

In the two days since, Trekki relayed the very understandable, very real fears of those on UK fixed pensions & other, UK PSers have explained the adverse impact (at least for the foreseeable future) on them and their compatriots. Yet tonight, you're still lobbing off words of shrugging indifference in a forum where, by your own acknowledgment, you have found sympathy and support? Ye gods.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1466796108|4047679 said:
If Britain HAD adopted the euro, would it have made pulling out of the EU impossible? And why? I want to say instinctively that Britain could not have pulled out if it had the euro, but I can't seem to articulate why I feel that way. Does anyone know what the scenario here would have been if Britain had the euro? I know it's only an "if" since Britain certainly isn't getting the euro now, but I just think it's a really interesting hypothetical thing to think about, in the light of what's happened.
IMO, UK was smart not to adopt the euro. I mean, why would they wanted to have financial ties with BK countries like Greece, Italy and Portugal?. Germany will be the next country to exit the EU followed by France.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1466792992|4047634 said:
Jambalaya|1466792701|4047631 said:
And, attempting to find another silver lining here: Perhaps people's finances will not be as badly hit as we think, because everyone knew this referendum was coming, and so hopefully have had time to take action.

Surely it must be much worse when a crisis hits out of the blue, like when all the banks fell a few years ago.

DJIA
-3.12%
NASDAQ
-3.87%
S&P 500
-3.18%
FTSE 100
-3.15%
NIKKEI 225
-7.92%
This is only the beginning.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1466908986|4048404 said:
Jambalaya|1466872677|4048229 said:
Not one word has been said about this on Pricescope all along. How was I supposed to know that apparently all these posters have portfolios that are now affected? No one posted about being nervous, no one posted about being worried, no one posted about being concerned for the world markets or the British, in any way at all. I'm not a mind reader. Also, I'm not going to pretend that it affects me. I don't borrow trouble, and it's not my time to cry. The reason I know that is there have been plenty of other times in my life to cry - and I can tell you that when those times arrive, no one gives me any special treatment or modifies their comments or speech so as not to hurt me, not in any way whatsoever! Speaking generally, not Pricescope. * * *
I truly "get" that, when you made your initial post, you didn't appreciate the deleterious impact the swift, sharp plummet of the pound would have on those living in the UK and beyond. But that lack of awareness doesn't explain your immediately following posts. Honestly, my head snapped upon reading your I'm American and I'm not going to clutch my pearls and pretend that something affects me personally when it doesn't response -- typed after GK2 and chemgirl gave you a good idea of why it's a BFD.

In the two days since, Trekki relayed the very understandable, very real fears of those on UK fixed pensions & other, UK PSers have explained the adverse impact (at least for the foreseeable future) on them and their compatriots. Yet tonight, you're still lobbing off words of shrugging indifference in a forum where, by your own acknowledgment, you have found sympathy and support? Ye gods.

Molly, as you say, Brexit hadn't even happened when I posted. I thought the rate would be bad for a day or so. And no, I'm not going to pretend something affects me because I strongly feel that would be false of me. I don't remember saying anything positive or negative about support specifically on Pricescope in this thread, and tonight I've mostly written about the politics of the situation. I'm glad that somw others are masters of taste and verbal elegance and are able to strike the perfect note in their communications. I'm not, and I don't. I'm an uneducated hick, but not an unfeeling monster. Can we just concentrate on politics now?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that most of the Europeans who are in the Remain camp have posted here. But what about the people on the Leave side? How come they aren't worried about the economic situation? Over half the votes - with a three-quarters turnout - is a lot of people.How come they're so happy, and the other side so worried? Surely any economic depression will equally affect pensions etc of both sides, yet only one side seems concerned about that.

It's confusing. One side so jubilant, one side so unhappy. I really have no idea who to "believe." I'm trying to stay positive about it - perhaps now that Britain is free of so many extra rules and regulations, maybe it will go off and do great things again, and maybe it will forge its own trade links and become stronger in the process. I read that it costs the UK about 8bn to belong to the EU (not sure whether pounds or euros). That's a lot of money it could plough back into itself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results