shape
carat
color
clarity

Etsy- beware!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Zarina

Rough_Rock
OMG! :appl: I was going to say that you made my day, but it is more like my YEAR! I 'm sure lots of people on this site see something and then become obsessed with it...that's me??
I have emailed and called SO many gem dealers --- many of whom show their lovely items on these pages and have had no luck. Even if I were to find one, I am afraid it would fall short!.
I will start to stalk preloved, but as a newbie, I am really afraid of loosing out :sick: I'm going to have to start dragging my laptop around with me!!!
Thanks for your response - it is a little unnerving to enter into a group of folk who are so knowledgeable and seem to all know one another - any chance for a heads up when you come down off the fence? :wavey:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the warnings on here. Scary stuff, for sure!

Zarina

Rough_Rock
I don't mean to pester you, icekid, but I was wondering if you made any decisions about selling your sapphire. I have been checking the pre-loved listings and don't see it.
I understand there is no buying and selling on this forum, but wondered if you had listed your ring somewhere and neglected to add it to the pre-loved area :D

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1358012438|3353889 said:
By not using a bank account - I am limited to a lifetime limit of $10,000 of purchases via paypal (or that was the policy a decade ago). After about a decade I am about half way through that limit. I now only use paypal for purchases that have no other real option - and prefer to pay directly with a CC. Most of my purchases were early on about 10 years ago when I did not understand the restrictions.

I didn't know about the limit... now I am $100 away from it. I'll HAVE to link my bank acct, even though I'll always always pay on credit card (for one... most of the purchases are paid for from my fiance's paychecks... so they never go into my bank account, lol). Ever since it sent me the first "you are $500 away from your limit" email I have cut down on spending by TONS. I really don't get it... I don't want to connect my bank account (logically I know many people do without problems, but it's not mindclean for me!) and am contemplating just... not using paypal anymore, and not making online purchases anywhere where I can't just enter my CC information.

Zarina

Rough_Rock
icekid|1362618856|3398495 said:
Zarina|1362546940|3397692 said:
I am new to PS and have SO enjoyed everything I have seen and learned......I have been considering purchasing several different things on Etsy and was not sure about the safety of this form of buying.
I appreciate knowing that it is something to be cautious about!
There are too many lovely things to admire on this site but, my ABSOLUTE favourite is your amazing colour change sapphire :love:
Your ring is totally was to die for!! I actually contacted Barry Bridgestock to see if he would keep an eye out for a sapphire that could come as close to yours as possible!! I hope you don't mind -- imitation is the highest form of flattery - should you ever decide that it is time for something new, I would be beyond thrilled to have a chance to see that colour in person!
I see that you are expecting your second child --- what a wonderful time for you. I wish you every happiness :wavey:

Zarina, No worries and thanks for the congrats and compliments on the sapphire. As luck would have it, I actually am contemplating listing my sapphire. It just has not been getting the wear it deserves lately. I still do love it though, and am on the fence. Keep an eye on preloved if you are so inclined :))

Icekid....I have been thinking about you lovely sapphire and was wondering if you have made up your mind about parting with it?......I have been checking the Preloved PS jewels section religiously, hoping to see it :love: .... no luck yet :((

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1363237885|3404564 said:
perry|1358012438|3353889 said:
By not using a bank account - I am limited to a lifetime limit of $10,000 of purchases via paypal (or that was the policy a decade ago). After about a decade I am about half way through that limit. I now only use paypal for purchases that have no other real option - and prefer to pay directly with a CC. Most of my purchases were early on about 10 years ago when I did not understand the restrictions.

I didn't know about the limit... now I am $100 away from it. I'll HAVE to link my bank acct, even though I'll always always pay on credit card (for one... most of the purchases are paid for from my fiance's paychecks... so they never go into my bank account, lol). Ever since it sent me the first "you are $500 away from your limit" email I have cut down on spending by TONS. I really don't get it... I don't want to connect my bank account (logically I know many people do without problems, but it's not mindclean for me!) and am contemplating just... not using paypal anymore, and not making online purchases anywhere where I can't just enter my CC information.

My way around linking my normal bank account was to open another bank account with minimum money in it and linked that one to my Paypal account although I still use my CC to pay. I know of other people who just start a new name on Paypal and start the process all over again.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
PJ, both good suggestions. I didn't read the fine print -- didn't realize the 10 grand was lifetime; I thought it was 10 grand owing at a time. Giving bank acct access to anyone except me & DH gives me the creeps -- I refuse to do it.

PayPal is such a good thing, especially when you buy from a website you don't know -- I HATE using my CC number when I don't know who's on the other end (or even if I do usually).

I don't see the advantage in that rule -- how does it benefit PayPal or the buyer or the vendor, as long as the customer pays her bills? Anyone have any idea?

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea but I use a "temporary" bank account with only $50 sitting in it at best, used only for PP purchases. Even so, I pay using the cc option. This way, I get the extra protection of PP and my cc info remains hidden from the buyer.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Icekid, that experience is dreadful! They basically hogtied you by telling you to wait to file a complaint, and then telling you the deadline had passed when you did file. Nice!

I have never really been attracted to buying from Etsy. It never seemed like a proper set-up to me.

Zarina

Rough_Rock
Hello icekid,,,,,,I have watched preloved PS jewels for almost 2 years and, if you listed your sapphire ring on it, I must have missed it. I wouldn't bother you, but noticed that you had a post a short time ago. If you are still thinking of listing it on pre-loved, I would love to know, as it haunts me still....THANKS :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never bought anything from Etsy. I hear it's meant to be handmade stuff. I've been the recipient of quite a few gifts of handmade/home-made jewelry, nothing too expensive, but all of it has fallen apart with a few uses. For that reason I've kind of gotten a bad impression of homemade/handmade stuff so haven't wanted to buy from Etsy, although I've heard about great vendors such as Daniel M, and I've browsed the site. Thanks for the warning about their admin.

Ha, just seen that this is an old thread. I read through it without noticing that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results