shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring care tips

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve just gotten my engagement ring, and am paranoid about inadvertently doing something to damage it. I''ve come across a few "what not to do''s" by chance on the forum - eg. sleeping in the ring may wear down the prongs, putting it in your pocket might bend the prongs - but I worry there''s a whole load of things I just don''t know about.

Could you share the things you do (and don''t do) to look after your rings? Also, anything you wish you''d know about when you got your ring?

For information, my ring is a RB solitaire in a 6-prong platinum setting, with no sidestones/pave. But please feel free to share tips for any ring so this can be a helpful thread for everyone! Thanks in advance!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rings are fairly simple in design, so I don''t need to do much to look after them. I don''t wear them to bed but that''s more of a comfort issue than anything. I don''t wear them when going to the gym either. As far as cleaing my engagement ring, I wash it in hot water with gentle dishwashing liquid and a soft baby tooth brush. I dry it with a lint-free paper towel.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
LilyKat,

Not sure if you're looking for more everyday tips and tricks, but I would definitely suggest taking your ring in regularly to get the setting and prongs checked. I would even shoot for once a year, if you have a more delicate solitaire setting. But then I'm a bit paranoid....
2.gif
At least every few years for most other people?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I honestly don't go out of the way to care for my ring. I take it off if I'm going to be doing something messy (kneading bread, playing in dirt, etc) or athletic (typically for hiking, horseback riding, running, etc). Other than that, I don't have any advice. I really only care about my center stone - if one of the small diamonds came out I wouldn't care a bit and would get it fixed.

For cleaning, I have a US, but don't find it does much. I usually just go to my local jewelry store (the one who created it for me) and have them clean and polish it every couple of months. The steam cleaning makes the stones sooo shiney and I love the finish of the just polished platinum. I don't know if I'd trust a maul store, but if we move I'll just find another good local place to take it to.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
I will take mine off for gardening, heavier housework, when I go excercising, or do heavy physical stuff. I have had mine for about 13 years and never had any issue with prongs or durability.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After a year, even when I''m not wearing my ring I baby my left fourth finger - it never touches doorknobs or handrails, I hold it out and away when I''m carrying heavy grocery bags
1.gif

I don''t sleep or do dishes in mine - or anything that would require me to actively use that finger. I''m less concerned about dirt, though I probably shouldn''t be!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I take mine off as soon as I get home and have it safely tucked away in my jewelry box. I only put it on when I go outside of the house. But if I go to workout, I just keep it off. I have lots of little pave and it''s not too expensive to replace them, but I''m neurotic about my ring. Also, I don''t wear my rings around when I''m at the pool or ocean or large bodies of water when I''m thinking of going in for a dip. I''d rather not lose it in water either since my ring would slip off when my hands are wet. I get it cleaned at the jewelers about once a month, but keep in mind, I''m neurotic about it looking its best. I love newly cleaned rings!

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t sleep with my ring on or shower with it on. I''m scared I''d fling it off or hit it on my bedside table when sleeping, and in the shower, I''d worry it would slip off (it''s properly sized but not tight).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results